Lusaka Travel Answers

change location

Internet Connection in Lusaka?

by ebonite Online Now Mar 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Hello,

Is there any 3G internet connection for mobile phones in Lusaka? How much does it cost approximately and is it good quality?

Also, is there any high speed broadband connection? How much do these cost approximately?

Thank you

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Re: Internet Connection in Lusaka?

by sphynxxs Online Now Mar 16, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I have no experience with internet in Lusaka, but lots with the situation in other African countries, and depending on where you come from, you have to put down your expectations concerning fast internet. I think airtel operates in Zambia, they have 3g modems and both prepaid and postpaid offers. It works - especially in cities like Lusaka, in rural areas the network coverage might be worse. Internet speed is slow, even with broadband connections.

The situation in East Africa has slightly improved with the arrival of sea cables from India and the Middle East States, but as there are frequent cable havaries most of the time downloads or even just opening websites take quite some time. As the only countries in SubSaharean Africa where I experienced fast connections were Senegal and South Africa I daresay Zambia is not so different from Kenya when it comes to internet speed...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines