Lusaka Travel Answers

change location

Learning Nyanja in Lusaka?

by ebonite Online Now Mar 16, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Hello,

I will be moving to Lusaka in June and I am searching for a place to help me learn the native language. According to Wikipedia, the most popular and used native language in Lusaka is Nyanja, so I want to try to learn it. I will be staying in Lusaka for more than a year.

Where can I learn the language and how difficult is it for someone with English background ?

Thank you.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Learning Nyanja in Lusaka?

by Muftau_Kariba_Bush_C Online Now Mar 31, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Hi there,

Mulli bwanji? (how are you? In Nyanja!)

Nyanja is the most widely spoken language in Lusaka, Bemba in the Copperbelt, Tonga/Nyanja in the Southern Province, Lozi in the Western Province etc, these are the main languages which are most useful to learn whilst in Zambia. Although of course in the major towns and cities everyone speaks English.

On arrival just ask around at the local schools and I am sure someone will be more than happy to given you lessons. If you were in Livingstone Indeco Community School offers private tuition so I am sure else where other schools offer it!

Nyanja is probably one of the easiest African languages to learn after Swahili, and once you grasp Nyanja it is easy to learn some of the other Zambian languages which have similar venacular make-ups.

Best of luck!

Muftau (Kariba Bush Club)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines