Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• one day/night lay over in zurich... itinerary question

Zürich 8 hours ago

I would be reaching Zurich airport 3:45 pm on a sunday afternoon and flying out next morning 9:45 am. I would like to check in a hotel with my luggage and check out Zurich in a day. Ideally i would like to see the touristy places during day time and enjoy the night life during night. I would really appreciate any suggestion to plan my trip.
      I am thinking to using the train/tram for my transportation and would like keep my explorations on safe side

• staying in wengen

Wengen Sep 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM

I read somewhere that when staying in wengen, and after paying tourist tax, you get some type of discount card, ? for local travel. Is this true or did I make this up, Kind Regards Cathy

• tracyskf's Profile Photo

Foxtown Outlet Mall

Cantone Ticino Sep 19, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Is there leave luggage facilities? How much do they charge and is there a limit of luggage size?

Palais des Nations - visiting hours

Geneva Sep 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM

I checked the official website and below is what I found for a visit in December.
      I am slightly confused as when I tried to book this online - it seem there is option for tour every hour.
      Any idea how this works?

I am planning a visit on Monday as I will be flying off Tuesday and don't want to miss it.
      How long does the tour takes and are we allowed to go on our own after the tour?

When can you visit the Palais des Nations?
      From September to March, we are open on weekdays (Monday to Friday) as follows:
      Mornings: 10 a.m. to 12 noon (tours start at 10:30 a.m. and 12:00 noon)
      Afternoons: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (tours start at 2:30 p.m. and 4 p.m.)

• travelling in jungenfraujoch

Switzerland Sep 6, 2015 at 12:27 AM

I am 75 years old and my wife 66 years. We are planning a visit to Europe in Aprl/May 2016.
      My health is okay.I have Liver cirrhosis and am managing with medication. I like to include Switzerland sites for visit. Is it alright if I go along in a group tour ?

Filisur - Landwasser Viaduct

Switzerland Sep 26, 2015 at 1:44 AM

I am planning a Bernina Express trip in early December. I plan to stay overnight in Filisur.
      I read about the Landwasser Viaduct Unesco site. How do I get to scenic spot for good photos of the viaduct.
      What are the chances of seeing the trains pass by on the viaduct - is that very regular or rare timings?

1 day in Lucerne

Lucerne Sep 25, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Is 1 full in Lucerne enough to see Mount Pilatus and main sightseeing in the city?

Mount Pilatus - if I plan to buy the Swiss Travel Pass, is this included? How do I go about - ie what are the public transport to use? How many hours to allocate to see Mount Pilatus?

As for the city - only planning to see main attractions for photos. What are the ones that I should not miss? Thanks!

• transportation

Spiez Sep 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM

how do i get from train station to hotel riviera

• erkrutibs's Profile Photo

Point to point travel

Zürich 6 hours ago

I will reach at Zurich on 13th October and will travel to rapper swill by Swiss train.
      I will take a ticket from Zurich to rapperswill ticket which is 16.00 CHF.
      After reaching in rapperswill i will checkin to hotel .
      In afternoon i will visit from rapperswill to st.gallen in the afternoon same day and the cost of ticket is 12.70chf.

Could anybody advice me whether i can use the same ticket(16.00chf) from rapperswill to st.galllen.

• alectrevor's Profile Photo

Swiss travel pass discount.offer.

Switzerland Sep 30, 2015 at 7:02 AM

i ve used the Swiss travel pass before so i know how it works well--. But my question is can the Autumn 20% discount that is advertised on line, be also purchased on demand at a Swiss rail station ticket offiice ? Thanks.!

Day trip in Bern

Bern Sep 25, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Hi - what are the must see if I only have a day trip in Bern? =)

Albula Train Museum

Bergün Sep 25, 2015 at 2:25 PM

I tried to look up the official site - however it is not in English. I used google translate and found out it is closed on Mondays.

Other than that, is the museum open the whole year round? I am visiting early December.
      I think I read somewhere that it is closed whole of November - but not sure about this???

How many hours is required to be able to see this and enjoy this? We are 2 adults but I heard both kids and adults will find this amazing. What are the must do / tips to make this worthwhile?

Thank you =)

Full day Interlaken with Swiss Travel Pass in Dec

Interlaken Sep 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM

I came across this however don't quite understand how this works with the Swiss Travel Pass

- Are all the routes included with the Swiss Travel Pass?
      - What are practical tips - like where should I stop for scenic photos etc?
      - I have a full day in December before returning to Interlaken for overnight stay - hope to get practical tips on how to maximise the day. I am not looking to ski, but mostly sightseeing and experiencing Jungfrau region

Thank you

Sceduling A Tour

Zürich Sep 19, 2015 at 12:47 AM

Hi travelers

i will in my official visit zurich from 13october -23october from which included 5 days are off day(14,17,18,21,23) and remaining 5 days official days.

i have a big lists of destinations like bern,interlaken ,jungfurjaouch mountain,titlis mount ,rhine falls,st.moriz,zermat,rig mountain, Heidiland,Liechtenstein Mount Titlis, Lucerne,st.gallon, etc

1.can i cover these places thorugh train in just only 5 days keeping in mind i have to stay in rapperswill which is near to my office ,and every night i have to return to my hotel

as my off days are not continous.

2.what is best ticket i can take to cover all this place it better and economical if i travel through travel agency for long places like interlaken and jungfarouch mountain?

4.can anybody lighten me up for making a tour schedule?

5.For remaining official days (11am-2pm) can i visit any near by places on the way to zurich from rapperswill for the event hiking,mountain pass,sledging as i will be free after 2pm till 10pm.

Regretting if i bother you through my questions

Thanks a ton for helping me out. :)

• how do I get to St.Moritz from Orio al Serio airport using public transport in February please?

Saint Moritz Sep 14, 2015 at 9:35 AM

how do I get to St.Moritz from Orio al Serio airport using public transport in February please?

• Swiss in late Oct ?

Switzerland Sep 8, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Planning on a Trip to Geneva, Interlaken, Luzerne etc for a week from Oct 29th to Nov 5th time-frame.

Been there twice earlier, but both times in Summer, and fell in love !!

Wondering how's it in this time frame...last week of Oct to 1st week of terms of cold?

We live in New York, so know the real cold, but it becomes unbearable here in Jan-Feb and hard to go around....wondering how's Swiss practically in Late Oct-Early Nov time-frame?

Lot of websites say it's around 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit......but practically how's it going around with 2 kids?
      mainly towns like Geneva and Bern...not much of mountains.

any advise will be great!

More time in Lugano or Bellinzona?

Bellinzona Sep 6, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Hi, I read about the castles in Bellinzona - there are 3.
      Is it possible to see all 3 in one day or should I select 2 out of 3? Which ones?
      Are they within walkable distance to each other as I ready they are all in city centre?
      Helpful tips appreciated!

Are there much to see in Lugano or should I spend more time in Bellinzona?

Thank you!

• Customs at Zurich airport

Zürich Sep 26, 2015 at 8:08 PM

when traveling from Hong kong to Zurich with Swiss air and have a onward flight to Copenhagen with Swiss do I need to collect bags and go through customs and is 1 hour enough time to do this

Which route makes more sense?

Switzerland Sep 8, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Hi I am planning trip to Switzerland in November and I am thinking of flying in Geneva / Zurich, fly out either city or Milan. I have been to Milan previously so this trip will be focusing on Switzerland. This is going to be my first time visiting Switzerland, and hope to cover as much as possible.

I have technically 11 days 10 nights - and roughly 1 day for each city mentioned below. I have done some research that Bernina Express is better southbound, so below are few options which are basically city sightseeing in the morning and then overnight the same city and depart to next city the next morning.

Option A
      Fly in Geneva, fly out Zurich
      Geneva - Lausanne / Montreaux - Bern - Interlaken - Chur - Bernina Express to Tirano - Lugano - Bellinzona - Zurich

Option B
      Fly in Geneva, fly out Milan
      Geneva - Lausanne / Montreaux - Bern - Interlaken - Zurich - Bernina Express to Tirano - back up to Luzerne - Bellinzona - Lugano - Milan

Option C
      Fly in Zurich, fly out Geneva
      Zurich - Bernina Express to Tirano - Lugano - Bellinzona - Luzerne - Bern - Interlaken - Lausanne / Montreaux - Geneva

I appreciate views. Thanks! =)

• alectrevor's Profile Photo

Is Brig the same place as Brigue

Switzerland Sep 18, 2015 at 7:37 AM

I want Brig Switzerland but Brigue crops up sometimes , it it the same place

Day trip in Geneva (fly in Geneva airport)

Geneva Sep 12, 2015 at 1:13 AM

I am flying in Geneva early morning, and thought of doing a full day tour in Geneva before heading to Lausanne / Montreaux. I have a few questions!

1) Transport from airport - I read that there is free transport ticket at the luggage hall out of Geneva airport (within 80 min ride) - is this valid for trip to Geneva only or actually that can be used for transfer to Lausanne / Montreaux directly from airport too?

2) I would like to visit the Palais de Nations and have checked out tour times - do I need to book the tour in advance (November visit) or can I just walk in and do the tour on the spot for the timings mentioned?

3) Is it advisable to stay for the night in Geneva or Lausanne / Montreaux? I intend to visit the Château de Chillon the next morning. =) I am aware trains run till late from Geneva to Lausanne / Montreaux, am more concerned about where to leave luggage if I were to do a day trip in Geneva and then head to Lausanne / Montreaux for overnight stay.

4) Within the day, I intend to see Old Town, visit Palais de Nations, see the Botanical Flower walk (I read CERN is closed for renovation). Is there anything I missed and is recommended? Any good spots for panoramic photos of Geneva?

Thank you! =)

• Snigdha's Profile Photo

Best country side destinations in Switzerland.

Switzerland Sep 10, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Dear All,

Could you suggest some beautiful country side destinations in Switzerland to travel from Geneva. I'm travelling from India to Geneva in Mid November and looking to explore the country side I can travel in train from Geneva. I'm a budget traveller, so any other suggestions to explore Switzerland would be a great help.

Thank you so much!

point of interest in rapperswill, lucrne,bern

Switzerland Sep 26, 2015 at 2:00 AM

good day to everybody!!!
      Great to see here people has expertise in guiding people and happy to be part of here.i will travel to Zurich and land at zurich on 13th oct 12 pm,then i have planned to visit rhine fall and back to hotel in rapper swill.
      i will stay in rapperswill and i will like to visit some nearest places for next 2days (2 or 3 places per day with train travelling time 40-50min from rapperswill as im interested to explore more nearby places than visiting a long distance place like jungfrauch mountain.
      For next 2 days i will visit lucerne , and there are lot of places to visit like titlis , mount pillatus ,mount rigi,hiking,city tour and other any events. is lucerne worth for 2 day or should i make it for 1 day.
      Next 1 day i will be visit Bern and bernese oberland along with gstaad and sannen.
      Could Anybody Help Me Out To :-
      1.Let me know nearby vising spot in rapperswill with 1 hr travelling distance.
      2. Make an event for 2 days in lucerne (where to start what to do and where to finish, where to start hiking walking ,cow festival ,).
      3.To make a event for bern bernese oberland ,gstaad (where to start ,what to do,where to end).

Bernina Express (Tirano to Lugano)

Switzerland Sep 6, 2015 at 9:08 PM

Hi, I am planning to take the Bernina Express in November. I have posted a question before and there is a lot of information on the part from Chur to Tirano which I find online / forum replies.

I can only find limited information on Tirano to Lugano, hope someone can help:
      - Is this route via bus? Does the bus run in winter time?
      - Schedules / information would be helpful

From Tirano are there any direct train to Lugano without going down south first?

Any practical tips would help.
      Thank you!