Lumsden Travel Answers

change location

1926 - 27

by Rwthless Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 4:57 AM

My father Thomas 'Peter' Howard, as a young man spent a year by the Qu'appelle river growing grain on the quarter section held by his uncle Richard John Everall, so that 'Jack' could return home to Shropshire to visit his family. He sowed, cultivated and harvested the grain which he took to numbered bins by the railway line where it was picked up and taken East, and he received a cheque in due course. He was quite alone for this time, but was welcome in a neighbouring home presided over by 'Granny" Wilson who I believe was Scots. She encouraged him to do a world tour, and gave the name of relatives by marriage, Idiens in New South Wales in Australia. He did do so and kept a diary, but sadly, we have had to rely on verbal memories for his Canadian time. He passed through on his homeward journey, but broke his journey further west at Swift Current where he worked during the winter of 1929/30 for a man called Lundqist at a line camp I think. He said the 'tumbleweeds' were mustard plants.

Mrs Everall, born Mary Ann Howard in Bishops Castle in 1863, did not linger long in the area, but if anyone has news of her, I'd be glad to know of it.

Does any of this tally with any records at the museum or memories of an oldest inhabitant? He said that the young tended to pick up their sticks and move to more favourable places, but I see that this area like many others has gained residents in the intervening period. Someone may have a letter or a memory of the period. Anything about the Wilsons or the Everalls would be very interesting.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: 1926 - 27

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Hello. Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT). The forum here is only for Travel-related questions so I suspect your post will quickly be removed. We are a group of people from all over the world who enjoy traveling and answer questions (or try to) from people interested in travel or planning trips.

Have you tried the web site http://www.ancestry.com/

It is specifically for tracing your ancestors and they are most helpful. I highly recommend it and suspect you may find answers to some of your questions.

In the meantime, if you have any travel questions, we'd love to hear them.

Happy travels.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: 1926 - 27

by davidjo Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Maybe this is about travel, as once he has information i suspect he may want to visit there and see the area of his ancestors!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines