Lucca Travel Answers

change location

Sardena to Lucca or Sicily to Lucca - Ferries?

by mVigilante Online Now Aug 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I am thinking of going to either Sardena or Sicily before staying for 12 days in Lucca. Any suggestions on which airport it would be better to fly into (Rome, Milan, or Pisa are my choices)? Then ferry to Sardena or Sicily? How are the ferries (no car) - would a stateroom be needed? do they sail in November (as the web only lists through October)?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Sardena to Lucca or Sicily to Lucca - Ferries?

by leics Online Now Aug 30, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I have not travelled by ferry on these routes, although I doubt you will need a 'stateroom'. You'll probably want somewhere comfortable to sleep on the longer crossings though.

There are ferries to Sardinia which leave from Livorno (the nearest port to Pisa), from Civitavecchia (the nearest port to Rome) and from Genoa (nearer to Milan). Sicily ferries also leave from the places above (and elsewhere).

Some ferries do run year-round but winter crossing times are fewer. For example, Civitavecchia and Genoa >Palermo are daily year-round on

www2.gnv.it/en/gnv-sicilia/g...

but Genoa>Porto Torres is limited to 3 days per week year-round:

www2.gnv.it/en/gnv-sardegna/...

So you first need to research the feasible options for your particular dates and then book the appropriate flight.

Civitavecchia is an hour or so by train from Rome, Livorno 20 minutes or so from Pisa, Genoa around 1.5 hours from Milan (plus time getting from the airport to the station for each).

Use directferries.co.uk/sardinia... and directferries.co.uk/sicily.h... to find the operators and routes, then google for each company's website to check which routes operate in November.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines