Lourdes Travel Answers

change location
lrpomp's Profile Photo

Missouri, USA toi Lourdes, Frrance

by lrpomp Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I would like to know the quickest and cheapest way to get to Lourdes, France flying from the USA. Also tips on economical hotels and places to eat while there. From Lourdes, I plan to see Paris, Berlin, Budapest and Austria but don't have any idea on how to accomplish this. Please help me.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Missouri, USA toi Lourdes, Frrance

by Beausoleil Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Check flights from St. Louis or Kansas City (don't know which is nearest). I suspect St. Louis will have the most and cheapest flights. I use www.kayak.com to get prices and then book directly with the airline.

You will probably want to fly into Paris and take the train to Lourdes. There is a lot of information here on VT about food and accommodation in Lourdes so type it into the Search Window above and check those Travel Pages. You'll also want to check the Lourdes information at lourdes-france.com/index.php...

or at en.lourdes-france.org/?goto_...

The second site might have more helpful information about accommodation, food and transportation but the first site is useful if you are going as a pilgrimage.

Following your visit to Lourdes, I'd suggest using Europe's wonderful train system to visit the other places you suggest. You didn't say how long you have so it's difficult to make specific suggestions. Come back with the time you want to spend and perhaps some of the things you enjoy seeing on vacation and I'm sure you'll get lots of help.

A good start is to type each place into the VT Search Window above and see what VT members have already written about them. There will be photos, tips, reviews and lots of external web links to help you decide what to see.

Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

You have posted in the Lourdes, Iowa forum but hopefully lots of us will see your post, realise you mean Lourdes, France and offer osme helpful info and advice. :-)

It is possible that the cheapest way to get to Lourdes will be to fly into Paris and then take the train, although that is a long journey of around 7 hours. You might investigate flying into airports which are nearer to Lourdes, such as Toulouse, Pau, Lourdes-Tarbes, Biarritz, but I suspect the airfare will be much higher.

Have a look at www.skyscanner.net to see carriers for your route & dates (and usually fares as well).

You can see train times and details for almost all European trains in English on the excellent and reliable:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

If you want to see fares as well you need to ook at the country's official railway website. The bhan.de link above will give you fares for and from Germany. For France it is best to look at the French language (easy to work out)

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

because the English version will take you to Raileurope, a ticketing agency which does not list all departures and charges admin fees on fares.

For Austria, look at the English pages of:

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

You could indeed use the trains for e.g. Lourdes to Paris but you may well find that taking a budget airline between e.g. Paris (or an airport nearer to Lourdes) & Berlin will be better than train. Distances may look small on the map but rail journeys can be long.

Austria is a country...where would you like to visit? Trains from Budapest to Vienna are frequent and journey time is from just under 3 hours.

• gabesz's Profile Photo

by gabesz Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Fly to Paris. Then take a train to Lourdes. Depending on which train you take the trip could be 5 hours or longer. So check all of your options. Then on the way back to Paris stop in Bordeaux or any part north of there. Lots of places to see for wine and great country sides.

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yes check your trains between Lourdes and Paris. It is quite a distance. Be careful in Paris. Just because you go through Paris, does not mean you will not have to take the Metro between stations for the train. When you are planning the train, just because there is a line between cities that looks close, often times they run you back to Paris and than to where you want to go.

• lrpomp's Profile Photo

by lrpomp Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Yes, sorry for posting in the wrong page. I meant Lourdes, France. Thanks for the tips. I am thinking of going either late August or early September of this year or after the high tourist season, so I will have plenty of time to do some research.

• lrpomp's Profile Photo

by lrpomp Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Thank you so much for that great tip. Will make sure I am directed to the correct destination before I board.

• lrpomp's Profile Photo

by lrpomp Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Thank you so much

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines