Lourdes Travel Answers

change location
marrw2's Profile Photo

Waters of Lourdes

by marrw2 Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Can you just "get in line" to swim in the pools or do you have to have something special. Does anyone know what it cost to do this or if it's even possible.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Waters of Lourdes

by davidjo Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lourde...

I do not like using wikipedia too much but the site suggests you can have a bath in a cubicle, but not much information regarding the possibility of swimming in the pools.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM

There is a bath there. It is very cold. There are no charges to get into Lourdes. If you go in the off season - probably little to no wait. In the summer they have about 7 million people go through Lourdes according to the taxi driver we had. But when we were there in Jan 3, we had time to go and touch the walls of the grotto and no one was pushing us to move on. We could fill our bottles and not have people behind us waiting. And no pick pocket trouble.

• gabesz's Profile Photo

by gabesz Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

If I remember correctly you need to go to the medical office, tell them your condition if sick and they will give you something to get in line for the bath. However a previous poster is correct its very cold. The time in the bath takes a minute or two at the most.

Note indeed there are many who go through Lourdes so be prepared for lines during the warmer months. Once on the grounds everything is free except gift shops.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM

The Lourdes website gives information in English about the baths (and warns you may have to wait for an hour at busy times) as well as about all other aspects of the sanctuary and sites:

en.lourdes-france.org/prayin...

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I took my mother to Lourdes last September. There were thousands of people there and long lines everywhere, but we were told it was nothing compared to the summer months.
    You don't swim in a pool, but lie down in a bathtub for about a minute, after having waited in line for at least one hour. My mother decided against it, after even the religious leader of a pilgrimage group advised her not to do it. The water is very cold, it does not get changed - she said you might be cured of one thing but very likely to catch another- and there is no privacy.
    It doesn't cost anything. Except for the big candles everything is free in the sanctuary.
    Unless you only go for religious reason, don't miss visiting the upper part of Lourdes. It's a very nice, small French town.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM

yes you were advise right, if for religious reasons than by all means do it. Otherwise is very crowded to do the bathtub thing, and its free of course.
    really the choice is yours.

hope it helps your decision

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

by listenandlearn Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM

The bath "and customarily called "PISINA" meaning pool in simple description, is the water which flows coming from the spring in the Groto of Massabiella in the holy sanctuary o Our lady of Lourdes. When our Lady of Lourdes appeared Feb. 25, 1858, Our Blessed Lady of Lourdes, told Bernadette to dig a whole and this is where the spring water started. Hundreds of thousands of people, not necessary only catholics, but all kinds of religion goes to Lourdes and take a deep.

My husband and I come to Lourdes at least three times a year, driving from Barcelona, of-course. Lately, we have been doing volunteer work for the sick, taking them to the most looked forward to is the 9pm procession.
    Going back to the "PISINA" of-course women and men have their own PISINA/ or POOL. It starts from 7 AM till 11:30 NOON, then there is a rest for the volunteers and opens again at 1:30pm till about 4pm. Try to come in easy clothing as volunteers will guide you gently undressing you and covering your body with a white towel..without anyone able to see you naked. While waiting for your turn to deep in the pool (to give you a better idea, the size is a bit larger than a normal bathtub, and twice as deep, in such a way that you are able to stand up in the pool.
    So, while waiting for your turn, everyone prays the rosary, sings the beautiful AVE MARIA, which touches my heart deeply. When your turn comes, after the volunteers help you step in the pool (about 3/4 small steps down the pool, the towel is removed from you gently and right in front of you is a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mama, and volunteers will help you pray, and you may kiss the imagine. Volunteers will also advise you not to drink the water, as your not alone who uses the water.
    As for the handicaps, or anyone that needs a wheelchair, or helping hand, then there is another special pool for them, with much help.
    People come to pray, like everybody does, and we have our special petitions to the Blessed Mother Mama to help us. No one will ever charge you even one Euro for deeping in the pool, my wife and I find it very sacred and it feels as it's a privilege deeming in the pool. As for our experience, you are given a small white towel to cover your body and when your done in the pool, my wife nor I really needed the towel to dry our selves but honestly, the water seems to dry by its self. It must have a lot to do with our faith. With prayers and your strong faith all will go well.
    Please add us in your prayers when you come to Lourdes, our dream is that we hope to find a small hotel and serve the pilgrims. Gold Bless You and your family.

1 member found this helpful

• Lourdes137's Profile Photo

by Lourdes137 Online Now Jul 20, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines