Lourdes Travel Answers

change location

ACCESSIBILITY IN LOURDES FRANCE

by czarinaG Online Now May 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

My mom and i will be making a pilgrimage to Lourdes this June. I have a disability (polio on one legs and hip replacement on the other). I am planning to get a hotel near the train station so i would appreciate it very much if someone can help me advise on below.

1. Can i hire a taxi from hotel to the Grotto? How much will is usually cost?
2. Is the taxi allowed to go inside the grotto...very near to the pilgrim area?
3. How long is the walk from the taxi stop to the grotto and churches.
4. Is there a motorised scooter i can hire to help to move around the grotto area?
5. Is taxi available anytime. I mean, in case we will be attending the 9pm service, will there be a taxi available to take us back to the hote.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: ACCESSIBILITY IN LOURDES FRANCE

by cgf Online Now May 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that once you'll be there all your worries would disappeare.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sukalejong's Profile Photo

by sukalejong Online Now May 12, 2012 at 4:32 AM

Hi,
    I saw a bus service from train station to the grotto in April 2012, and the bus stop is right in front of the train station. Unfortunately I didn't use that bus because I didn't know it exist until I arrived at train station (by walking in freezing drizzles) on my way to leave Lourdes. But I am sure the other stop will be close enough to the grotto.
    I don't know about any motorized scooter hire, but I saw some people use wheel chair that being pushed by volunteer.
    Maybe you can get more information at this website http://www.lourdes-france.org
    I hope you find the info you are looking for.
    Cheers!

• gabesz's Profile Photo

by gabesz Online Now May 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I know the bus stop is right across the street from the train station and am fairly certain it goes to just outside the grotto since there are no motor vehicles around that church or the grotto, though am not sure of the schedule. Since everything runs around the town based on the schedule by the grotto, it would not suprise me if it runs after the evening mass.

As for getting around once you are near the grotto you will see hundreds if not thousands of the pilgrims in situations just like you. I have seen people on stretchers being wheeled by volunteers to the mass each day. If you are to walk the walk is about 5 or so minutes from the road on the side of the grotto or about 10+ minutes if you are coming from the train station and enter the church grounds.

The volunteer office will be able to help you out in your plight and am sure most of the hotels in the area are aware on what to do in your situation since you are not alone in the difficulty in getting to the grotto. This is the main reason for the hotels to exists, so they do all they can to help the faithful to have a comfortable experience.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM

you will be going to a special place, and help is all around you.

1) people walk there, and wheelchairs are available
    2) no not inside the grotto
    3) no need for taxi,but is very close
    4) I am sure there is ,but most walk or go in wheelchair
    5) taxi are available all the time,and yes at 9pm

if insist, taxi service
    taxisserviceslourdes.pagespe...
    http://taxi-lourdes.com/
    alliance-taxis-lourdes.com/i...

info and others have posted on wheelchair transport here at VT
    Lourdes Transportation

hope it helps your journey

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

by listenandlearn Online Now May 14, 2012 at 4:08 AM

14 May 2012
    Hello there,

My husband and I come to Lourdes as often as our time permits. I have done volunteer work for the hospital right at the Santuary. What we would advise you is to contact the hospital right inside the Santuary and explain your capacity of mobility. There are hundred and hundreds of patiences that are not able to even seat up, etc. and at no cost to you, they will happily accommodate you, feed you three meals a day with snacks in between. As far as having a companion, yes, I had seen and met close relatives of patience next to them, but the hospital accommodating you have to enquire from the hospital.
    In the event this will not suit your needs...I mean, staying at the hospital of Santuary, then there are wheelchairs you can use for free from the hospital also. What you need to do is approach the front desk at the hospital and explain your situation. There are special small mini carts (something similar to a golf carts) that is allowed to move around the Santuary), yes, feel comfortable and approach the hospital at the Santuary, best if you can write to them and best if you are unable to speak French then get in touch with the nearest French Consulate and have them translate your letter to French.
    Oh, your asking the distance from the main entrance to the grotto? It is a good 15 minutes easy walking to the grotto. Now the cathedral, walking to the cathedral from the main entrance to the cathedral it would be a good 15 - 20 minutes - please be aware that the cathedral is going up hill. However, please be informed that there is this underground church of Saint Bernadette, which is just breathtaking. It is huge, beautiful and huge. June happens to be one of the highest peak season to come to Lourdes, through out the summer, you will experience thousands of pilgrims, visitors, tourists, locals just crowding Lourdes, it is just such a beautiful and lovely idea of being in Lourdes.
    Please, whatever you decide to do, please take a good nap in the afternoon so you will have enough energy for the 9 o'clock P.M. procession. In your case, you can be in a wheelchair and just stay put in a corner near the cathedral with your Mom and pray the rosary with everyone. Everytime we would advise people to attend this beautiful novena, my goose pimples arises.....this is just a way of my expressing how much this 9pm procession means to us of my husband, it is just such a beautiful feeling everyone can experience, so please bring your candles and join the 9pm novena which will be every night. Try to be in que by 815pm, so you will have a nice place. Kindly if you remember, say a special prayer for us and my family. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

• Re: ACCESSIBILITY IN LOURDES FRANCE

by czarinaG Online Now May 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Thanks so much for your response. We will surely look for the bus...i easily get tired and would like to save my energy walking around and praying inside the grotto.

• Re: ACCESSIBILITY IN LOURDES FRANCE

by megaindex Online Now Apr 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM

taxis are not allowed inside, its best to rent a place near the sanctuaries, and hire motorised scooter.
    you can hire a motorized scooter in Lourdes through this website!

http://www.lourdes-scooter-hire.com

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 12, 2013 at 6:47 AM

they went in june 2012 lol!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines