Lourdes Travel Answers

change location

Driving Paris to Lourdes

by SusieS55 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Thinking of renting a car and driving from CDG airport to Lourdes for an overnight and returning the next day. Is the drive fairly easy?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: Driving Paris to Lourdes

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Why not fly to Tarbes-Lourdes airport? even Ryanair goes there - so cheap!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Driving Paris to Lourdes

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

It's an easy enough drive, but it's going to take 7+ hours. If you're going to do it, look at a map and make a several-day trip so you can stop and enjoy the journey. Just going there and back, you won't have time to see much of Lourdes. Check Google Maps or viamichelin.com to get distances and places to see along the way.

Enjoy your trip.

1 member found this helpful

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM

aww, poster posted this twice. I just replied the other one and also recommend flying (1 hour 20 minutes). Train is also quite a long journey (nearly 6 hours).

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

by listenandlearn Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Hola Susie, Yes, Beausoleil has very good point, driving 7 hours to Lourdes is no problem, just take your driving easy and make several stops here and there. However, spending one day or overnight in Lourdes, there is not much you can happily experience.
    There are just too many wonderful religious things to do while in Lourdes. For instance. There is the holy bath which everyone should experience. This holy bath started when the Blessed Mother had asked Saint Bernadeth to dig in the sand and water started coming out and many miracles have occurred by bathing in this holy water. (of-course, all these comes with faith), just as I always tell my children and relatives ...ONE MUST HAVE FAITH AND PRAY. THE WATER WILL HAVE NO VIRTUE WITHOUT FATH. Now depending on the season you come to Lourdes, should that be during the warmer weather, masses are said from 7 in the morning and on the hour, meaning every hour and at times two masses as celebrated at the same time and in many languages. Then there is the grotto, where we love to spend hours and hours, just praying for the world and for everyone. During warm weather, you will notice that even at 3 in the morning, there are always people just kneeling and praying to Mama Mary, it is so beautiful!!! Then everyone should visit the large underground cathedral. And one of our most looking forward to is the 9 in the evening procession. The very first time my husband and I attended the 9pm procession, it was so beautiful, so touchy that I found tears rolling in my eyes. Then specially the singing of AVE MARIA, it is just so beautiful everyone carries their precious candles and sings AVE MARIA.
    The during the daytime, you can also visit this precious tiny house where Saint Bernadeth and her family lived. Then not too far from their home, is the cementary where the family of Saint Bernadeth was buried and it is kept clean and no matter what month you visit Lourdes, you will always find even a small bunch of fresh flowers....
    When people ask my husband and myself, how many nights should they stay in Lourdes, we then we suggest at least two nights and a day, as one night of a visit in Lourdes, is just too short. Think about this and we wish you a happy safe driving and happy experience in Lourdes. At anytime you need more help, please do not hesitate to write and it would be a pleasure to suggest to you and your family. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

• Re: Driving Paris to Lourdes

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:09 AM

What a sweet answer! Yes, the evening procession is truly beautiful and not to be missed - In summer it begins just as the sun is setting behind the cathedral (they have double daylight savings time so the sun goes down very late in summer) - and those thousands of candles circulating, the songs and prayers - unforgettable - We dont know what time your plane arrives or if you still plan to do the long drive in one go - out of curiosity I went to map.google.com - 850 kilometers, and maybe even eight hours or more drive - and you will need to stop and rest and refresh yourself at some point - but the procession should be part of your plans. (not to mention a good night's sleep before driving again, or it would be quite dangerous) - I suspect that you did not realize how far it is - As I said previously, there is always the possibility of flying there too - well good luck, and enjoy - Jean

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

If you're not too familiar with Lourdes, type it into the VT search window above and see what members have already written about it. There will be photos, hotels and restaurants, things to do and external web links to help you. You can also click on the names of people who have answered you here and check their Travel Pages on Lourdes. Lots of good information and a great resource here on VT.

Good luck.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines