Lourdes Travel Answers

change location

Motorized Wheelcair

by skennelly Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Can I rent a motorized wheelchair in Lourdes to visit the shrine?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Motorized Wheelcair

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Hi there and welcome to VT.......d:o)

Yes, you can be provided with a wheelchair. It has been a while since I led a tour that included Lourdes, but it was available then, - so I looked at the lourdes website, and although not obvious, I found the page that explaines all you need to know as a disdabled pilgrim. Here is that page. Remember you can go to the bottom of any page and click on Contact, for e-mail exchange. Good journey to you.

en.lourdes-france.org/stayin...

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Oh, one more thing, - I cannot be sure they have motorized wheelchairs, but they had some with batteries, but they still will provide a person to move the chair for you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I'll verify what was said above. I don't know if they have anything motorized, but they have an army of wonderful volunteers who will take you in a special chair to anyplace you need at the pilgrimage site. There is no charge for this. I found the volunteers more moving than the spring. They are people who truly want to make a difference.

2 members found this helpful

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

by listenandlearn Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Hello there, In all these 21 years we have been going to Lourdes, we are happy to know that " a VT member, "Odinnthor" knows of a place where people are able to rent a motorized wheelchair. Of-course we have seen many in motorized wheelchair, however, these motorized either belong to the patient or have been brought from outside of Lourdes or from where the patient is from.
    When we tour guide visitors and partically needs a regular wheel chair we would go directly to the one in charge of the hospitality desk at the hospital at the Santuario and with a valid photo I.D. which is left with them and upon returning the wheelchair in good condition, then they would return your personal I.D.
    However, in 3 or 4 stars hotel, they too have couple of regular wheelchairs which are loaned to their hotel guests. Again please let me repeat that these are regular wheelchair, or ordinary wheelchair.

We wish your prayers are answered and please say a small prayer for my family.

Happy safe traveling.
    GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thank you for the kind words, but no, I do not know where to find motorized wheelchairs. Perhaps I was not clear enough, - character flaw don'tcha know......d:o)

No I am fairly sure that the question was asked regarding motorized wheelchair, as the people involved may not have the strenght to push a manual chair. In other words, as Lourdes provides wheelchairs, AND plenty of some of the best volunteers I have ever seen, who are happy to wheel a person around all day.

As such, they likely will not need a motrorized one. I have led groups to Lourdes in the past, and one thing never changed, - the abundance of help and assistance given by the seemingly tireless volunteers at the site.

Have a good journey/pilgrimage............d:o)

• Re: Motorized Wheelcair

by megaindex Online Now Apr 12, 2013 at 6:19 AM

This place has electric scooter for hire in Lourdes, not sure if they do Motorized Wheelcair.
    http://www.lourdes-scooter-hire.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines