Louisville Travel Answers

change location

Short visit

by goatgirl8 Online Now Nov 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM

A friend and I will be passing through Louisville in early January. We won't have much time - an overnight with a good part of the day on either side. Looking for recommendations for a cool motel/hotel/hostel and a fun neighborhood to stroll around in. What we're not: shoppers, clubbers, or sight see-ers. Tips for a reasonable restaurant with good libations are welcome. We won't have much time, so we're not trying to do and see everything, just want to bum around and get and get an impression of the place, meet the friendly locals. :)

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Short visit

by riorich55 Online Now Nov 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

My suggestion is to check out the Bardstown Road area of Louisville. Lots of good restaurants and a good vibe. Check out my Louisville page here on VT for some places I've gone to. My last visit was actually on a 2 week business trip back in 2010.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by riorich55 Online Now Nov 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Here is the link to my main Louisville page.

"Seems Like Everything Is Convenient" - Louisville by riorich55

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Nov 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Not sure what your budget for the trip is, but the best area to stay the night in Louisville is in the Downtown area, but you won't find much there for under100 per night. If that's fine, then this is definitely the hippest hotel in town: 21cmuseumhotels.com/louisvil.... Failing that, you can often get something on Hotwire for Downtown for about75. The 4-star on there is usually the Galt House, which is a very nice hotel.

There are no real hostels in Louisville. You may want to try Couch Surfing if you need to go really cheap.

The Highlands (Bardstown Road) area would also be my suggestion for a neighborhood to go to. Frankfort Avenue is also a nice strip, but it's less restaurants and bars and more shops. I also should suggest Against the Grain Brewery, which is inside the Louisville Slugger Stadium. I go to Louisville 1-2 times per month, and typically go there at least once. Good beer, good food and friendly people. A little on the edge of the Downtown area though. Hillbilly Tea is also a very cool place with an interesting menu.

It would also be worth your time to check out (at least drive through) Cherokee Park. Really beautiful. Louisville has a lot of events going on, but not a whole lot in early January, particularly since the Christmas stuff will be packing up. These guys (the local alt weekly) usually have the best event picks, but they don't put them in until just before they happen: http://events.leoweekly.com/

Hope that helps.

• redbikegirl's Profile Photo

by redbikegirl Online Now Dec 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Bardstown Road for sure as far as restaurants and bars. Cumberland Brews has some really good beers, including a great micro-porter. Park you car near Cumberland Brews, get out and walk along that section of Bardstown Road, then come back and enjoy some brews. Bardstown Road also has some of the best pizza places in town, including Impellizzari's (great wings too), Wick's and Za's.

• Re: Short visit

by goatgirl8 Online Now Dec 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM

(I just picked up your answer you posted last month - it must have gotten buried in my email account.) I thank you for your time putting together thoughtful advice - exactly what I was looking for. I've passed through Louisville on a number of occasions, en route to another destination, but I've never explored the city. We'll be driving from Waupaca, WI to south Florida, Homestead to be precise (yeesh)and flying home the following week. (As a favor to my friend's grandmother, we agreed to deliver her car for her.) Given that the final destination is less than desirable, we're trying to make the drive a larger part of the experience. Louisville is a good stopping point. A couple others who responded to my post recommended the Bardstown Road neighborhood, so that's in. Sadly my budget does not allow for an overnight at the 21c museums hotel, but I looked it up, and it is incredible. I plan on checking it out, regardless. I think we might splurge on the Gant Hotel their rates aren't all that crazy for downtown, metropolitan accommodations. Almost all of my travel involves camping and backpacking, so this will feel indulgent. That said, we're likely staying at a campground on the Suwanee River - state park with nice cabin rentals - after the Louisville leg of the journey. We're leaving next Wednesday, glad I caught your post in time. Thanks again, Susan.

by goatgirl8 Online Now Dec 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Thanks Rich. We leave next week Wednesday and will be exploring Louisville that evening. Others have also suggested the Bardstown Road neighborhood,so that settles it, we're going there. The KY stop is the first on our way to south FL. Looking at a state park campground outside Live Oak just south of the GA border for the next layover. I'll try to post something on that experience.

by goatgirl8 Online Now Dec 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Thanks for the tips! Others have also pointed me in the direction of Bardstown Road. Must be sound advice! Leaving on this trip in less than a week, I appreciate your response.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Dec 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Good call. The 21C lobby is worth walking to just to check out the art exhibits. And it's right next to the Louisville Slugger Museum (you can watch them making the bats through the window on the street if you don't want to put down20 to go inside) and the great glass blowing center. Fourth Street Live often has outdoor music events, but probably not right now. Either way, it's fun to go down there and hit a few bars.

by riorich55 Online Now Dec 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Enjoy your trip. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Please do check back in and let us know how your experience was.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines