Louisville Travel Answers

change location
PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Jim Beam Tour

by PinkFloydActuary Online Now Jan 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Seems like they've been revamping this tour recently, so I don't know what I'd get if we stopped. We have two smaller kids, and if there is still a self-guided tour around the grounds, I'd stop to let the family stretch their legs. If it is still "hustle into a room to watch a video" or a full blown tour only, I'll give this one a pass. Can anyone give me insight into what I could truly expect? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Jim Beam Tour

by riorich55 Online Now Jan 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM

John, Hope you get can answer for this one. Not too many people get onto the out of the way destinations like Louisville. I spent some time there on business last June, but never got on the tour. If you don't get an answer try emailing VT member Dester who lives in Kentucky.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SAMRetired's Profile Photo

by SAMRetired Online Now Jan 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM

My cousin who lives near there said they are not doing the tour right now. I checked their website and it says this to. Not sure why or for how long the tours are cancelled.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Jan 29, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Can't speak for Jim Beam, but I'd head over to Woodford Reserve. While they do have a "formal tour" you can wander the grounds and take in the scenery.

• karen_mo's Profile Photo

by karen_mo Online Now Jan 30, 2011 at 2:27 AM

We did the Bourbon Trail in October 2010. The Jim Beam tour involved a video in the old cottage, followed by a short tour of the historic buildings then into the tasting room. We didn't get to see any of the actual working distillery.

Wild Turkey was a bit odd. The guide was great but we went round the old distillery which is derelict now. They are in the process of moving to a new one up the road.

My favourite tour of the six distilleries was Maker's Mark, some lovely historic buildings, a smaller scale distillery where you can get very close to the process (including tasting the "beer"!!) and a very funky tasting area. You can hand dip your own souvenir wax edged glasses and bottles. (at a price)

Woodford Reserve was very nice too with a pretty environment and old buildings. You do have to pay to do this one, and I think it was around5 each - but check that out.

Hope that helps! Karen

• valerie7277's Profile Photo

by valerie7277 Online Now Feb 3, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I've done all of the distillery tours in the area (I have family in Louisville and visit often), and I think Woodford Reserve is the best. There is a small fee, but I think it's worth it.
    Do you have to go to one of the distilleries, or are you looking for other child-friendly activities to do in Louisville? I'm not sure how old your children are, but the Louisville Slugger Museum and the Science Center/IMAX are all great options as well. Good luck!

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Here's another activity you might want to try with kids. I wanted to give it a try on my last visit, but alas no time.

http://www.louisvillemegacavern.com/

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

by PinkFloydActuary Online Now Feb 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Thanks all. This isn't a must-do - we'll be traveling between Louisville and Mammoth Cave, and since it wasn't too far out of the way, I was considering it. While still young enough that I'm not concerned about the influences of underage drinking, they'd be bored to death on an actual tour. I'll look for something else to stop at along the way!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines