Louisville Travel Answers

change location
JeffreyLangBoyd's Profile Photo

Thunder Advice

by JeffreyLangBoyd Online Now Mar 29, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Hello,
Going to Louisville for the first time in a couple of weeks for Thunder Over Louisville.

We are staying at the Hyatt downtown and I had several questions all of which relate to Thunder.

Where to see fireworks and air show?

1) Is there a "best" place to see the fireworks and air show? If yes, where?

2) Would the Hyatt be an o.k. place to see the air show but not fireworks?

Riverfront park question.

1) Would you advise getting down to the park at opening (6AM) to save a place or is that a waste of time?

I booked the hotel downtown so we wouldn't have to drive afterward so if you would consider that when responding it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Dester's Profile Photo

Re: Thunder Advice

by Dester Online Now Mar 31, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Get there early for sure. The Park will be packed. people will start getting there and spending the night for good seats. A good Idea is to check the weather the night before to see which way the wind will be coming from as you may want to watch from the Indiana side if it is blowing from the NW it can really obscure your view of the fireworks. In Jeffersonville, Indiana , the area between the Clark and Kennedy bridges will be limited. To accommodate the crowds, more viewing areas have been developed between Fort and Pearl Street on Riverside Drive, east of the Kennedy bridge.
    If viewing from the Hyatt I called two weeks ago for some friends and they didn't have a room on the Riverside. I'll be at Bowman Field as I am more interested in the antique aircraft.
    If you're leaving on Sunday most of the military air craft will be on the ground at the national guard armory next to SDF.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines