Louisville Travel Answers

change location

West end of Louisville

by eastcoast191 Online Now Dec 26, 2006 at 3:12 PM

How do you define where it starts and ends? I was recently in Louisville and walked around Old Louisville, I thought it was quite nice. How come there are so few shops or stores in this area?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • John195123's Profile Photo

Re: West end of Louisville

by John195123 Online Now Oct 18, 2007 at 7:28 PM

The west end is differet from Old Louisville. It is much poorer, with shotgun houses and so on. Old Louisville is a pretty nice place, but is primarily residential- a relic of another time when downtown was really close and Old Louisville was the suburbs. The shops were downtown, residences outside. That, I believe, is why there are so few shops. The west end hangs around Broadway at the east end of Broadway and follows it out for a long way, until the river bends, then you get to the south Louisville/Shively area. I believe Oak street or some nearby parallel street form the southern border, but as usual, the poorer end of town is near downtown.

Hope that helps,
    John

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • John195123's Profile Photo

Re: West end of Louisville

by John195123 Online Now Dec 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Just as an update to this, Louisville is working fairly hard to revamp the downtown area. Ignoring the 4th Street Live stuff (it's not that great) there are many galleries and shops, from photography to glass blowing, and rennovated residential structures. It's becoming a much more user-friendly downtown and would be even more so with increased parking and traffic capability. The Yum Center has added a lot more traffic on game/event nights, but at least it's something new for those who don't care for art (or want to take in a game).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines