Lothian

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Dunvegan to Kyle of Lochalsh

Isle of Skye Jul 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Hi! I'll be back packing around isle of skye at the end of August. I want to explore some hikes around Portree and Dunvegan. And I'm looking for the cheapest option of getting from dunvegan to kyle of Lochalsh. I'm catching a train from Kyle to glasgow. Any ideas?

more
    • buy lingustine

Crinan Jul 11, 2014 at 6:35 AM

hi all, coming up to visit crinan this monday, would love to buy some fresh lingustine from the pier to take home, can anyone tell me what time the fishing boats land? n also if they will sell to individuals?
      thanks in advance :)

more
    • buss from glasgow

Loch Lomond Jul 8, 2014 at 6:02 AM

wat nimber and were can i get a bus from glasgow to balloch ,staying at the inn keepers lodge

more
    • Transportation around Inverness

Inverness Jun 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM

We want to visit MacBean(MacBain) Memorial Gardens near Inverness. How can we get there?

more
    • Long term furnished accomodation

Scotland Jul 16, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Having a difficult time finding something that would fit our "dreams" (fantasies?). We are a newly retired couple in our 60's with a small dog (10 lbs, well-behaved). We hope to stay in Scotland for 4 months, mid-May to mid-Sept. 2015. Ideally we would like to rent an en-suite room in a home of a mature couple, widow or widower. It needs to be on a bus line as we won't have a car. Ideal locations are Edinburgh, Perth or Ayr. We would like to work on geneology, share stories with our host(s), cook, walk the dog, get to know the neighbors & community, in general, feel the vibe of living in Scotland. And yes, my ancestors left Glasgow & Ayrshire in the late 1800's, so it's about my roots. Would also consider caring for someone's home (we are actually house sitting at present for 14 months, so will arrive with a good recommendation). Also, wouldn't be opposed to helping with some minor indoor repairs, painting, gardening, animal care, shopping, or cooking.

more
    • OBAN Railroad Station

Oban Jun 30, 2014 at 5:31 PM

How far is the Oban Railroad Station from the port where the Crystal Symphony be anchored? How much will a taxi cost? Or is there a bus?
      There is a 2-1/2-Hour bus tour but I need to get to the Railroad Station. Thanks for your help.

more
    • Ferry from oban to liverpool?

Oban Jul 17, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I can't find this route on any of the ferry websites. Is there a ferry from oban to liverpool? Thanks.

more
    • What should I pack

Fort William Jul 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Holidaying in Fort William area at beginning of August, what should I take to wear?

more
    • how to reach isle of skye from edinburgh-waverly station

Isle of Skye Jul 1, 2014 at 3:34 AM

hi, i will be travelling to scotland in the month of july and have already booked the hotel . we are family of 7, we want to visit isle of skye.since the booking of the hotel has already been done so the visit will be a day tour. can u please suggest the best way to reach the place

more
    • London train

Edinburgh Jun 19, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Hi everyone!!To go from Edinburgh to London by train making a overnight stop in York, do I have to buy separate tickets for each stop or only one to London and just get off in York and board again the next day? Thanks!!

7 Answers Jun 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    • MrMartin's Profile Photo

How could 14 students (15 - 17 years) from Liechtenstein get in contact with locals?

Edinburgh Jun 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM

We will stay from 23.- 30. June in Edinburgh. It would be nice to have a small sightseeing tour or interessting contact to locals for my 14 students. The goals are: To learn from another culture (even it it is not so different to the Liechtenstein one :-) and to speak English... Do you have some ideas? (We stay in the citycenter of Edinburgh, Cowgate)

4 Answers Jun 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Day trips from Edinburgh

Edinburgh Jun 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I'm heading to Edinburgh for 5 days prior to heading on to England and Scotland in mid August. I've been to Edinburgh a couple of times so I've seen most of the sights there, however, I'll be there during a whole pile of festivals including the Fringe festival so I still need to do some research on that Here's what I've got as my tentative plan, I've already purchased a historic Scotland pass (3 days out of 4 consecutive days) that includes a lot on my list:

Day 1 arrive 7:45am after overnight flight, check in, spend some time in Edinburgh
      Day 2 Stirling Castle, Doune Castle (Monty Python)-both on Pass
      Day 3 Possible daytrip to see some other part of Scotland
      Day 4 Linlithgow Castle, Blackness Castle-both on Pass
      Day 5 Craigmillar Castle, Edinburgh Castle-both on Pass, leave 6pm for Manchester

It's been suggested that I can also see Linlithgow on the Stirling day, by a local, since they are in the same general direction, the train ticket appears to allow breaks in the journey so I'll play by ear. If I do that, then Blackness will probably get chopped and I might just stay in Edinburgh

For day 3, I was looking at a couple of companies, Rabbies and Timberbush and they both have Loch Ness trips, one includes Uruqhart, one doesn't, about the same price, the Uruqhart trip is 1/2 hour longer, 12 hours vs. 12 1/2 hours. I understand that it's a long way each direction, 3 hours or so, they both go by Rannoch Moor, Glencoe, Fort Augustus, spend approx. 2 hours at Loch Ness including an optional boat trip, Grampian mountains and a stop at Pitlochry. Thoughts? People seem to love the companies but then I'm reading a lot about Loch Ness and that it's not all that (Loch Ness monster sightings not withstanding). The closer Loch tours all include one of the castles I was planning on seeing on my own, I guess I could do the Loch Lomond tour and see the town of Stirling while everyone else toured the castle. Or delete Stirling Castle from day 2 and see something else. Less driving, is that Loch more scenic?

7 Answers Jun 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    • Unique 30th

Edinburgh Jun 5, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Hi, it's my 30th birthday soon and I'd like to do something unique. I'd need to stay close to home in Edinburgh but as I've lived here for almost 10 years, I've done most sightseeing things. I can't say I'm really into the adventure sports where heights feature but I wouldn't mind splashing out a little on something to do during the day. Thanks!

2 Answers Jun 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    • all for love...

Edinburgh May 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM

How much is a return bus ticket from Edinburgh to Dumfries?

1 Answer May 28, 2014 at 3:58 AM
    • there & back?!

Edinburgh May 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Anyone tell me how much a return bus ticket is from edinburgh to dumfries is please??

2 Answers May 31, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    • Boohawk13's Profile Photo

Day Trip from Edinburgh to Mallaig - Is the scenery worth a a full day on the train

Edinburgh May 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM

We will be in Edinburgh for several days in September. Looking to have one day be our train trip/scenery day. From other comments, Loch Ness isn't the best scenery. So thinking of taking a train all day and going out to Mallaig and back. Wondering if it is worth the time. Other option would be a day trip to Loch Lomond. We will have BritRail passes so train cost isn't an issue. Or does anyone have any other options of what we could do by train in a day.

5 Answers Jun 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    • paddington28's Profile Photo

passport or driving licence

Edinburgh May 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Im flying from edinburgh to bristol in August with easyjet, do i have to use my passport (as i need to send my passport to an embassy in august for a visa) or can i use my uk driving licence

13 Answers May 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    • charlesracine's Profile Photo

Passenger ferries to and from Edinburgh to mainland Europe, Denmark or Norway

Edinburgh May 1, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Further, are there ferries to and from Edinburgh to mainland Europe, Denmark or Norway in mid summer? Thanks all in advance, Chuck

10 Answers May 1, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    • 3 weeks in Edinburgh for a single 40 year old woman who likes culture and night life

Edinburgh Apr 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I am planning to stay in Edinburgh for about 3 weeks, and want to get a taste for what it would be like to live there. I may check out some advanced education programs, and also want to do the touristy things, and enjoy some pubs and clubs. I would like a central location that feels pedestrian friendly, with lots of shops, restaurants, and easy access to the cultural sights. Night life for people in their 30s and up would be great to find, too. Budget is middle of the road. Where might I stay?

2 Answers Apr 22, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    • charlesracine's Profile Photo

Cruises that originate from Edinburgh, UK?

Edinburgh Apr 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Are there cruises that originate from Edinburgh to mainland Europe or Denmark or Norway?

2 Answers Apr 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    • hotel in edinburg

Edinburgh Mar 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM

hi can anyone suggest a good hotel in edinburg central , i have 2 children aged 6 and 1 1 with me ,my budget is between 100 and 150 pounds per night

4 Answers Apr 1, 2014 at 12:54 AM
    • AdrianaW's Profile Photo

Safety with luggage - which one to bring?

Edinburgh Jan 31, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Hello, I'm coming to the Edinburgh in april 2014 and I have for me very important question. What about daily luggage? When I will be in the city, walking, is safe to have a backpack? I am talking about thiefs. Do I need someting, what I can see, or is backpack alright? Many thanks for your answers.

9 Answers Feb 1, 2014 at 4:12 AM
    • Best restaurants/pubs/cafes in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Dec 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hi there!
      I am going to stay in Edinburgh for three days and I am looking for some nice places to eat and some picturesque pubs.
      Do you have some tips for me? The trip is a sort of romantic get-away, we are both students so are budgets are not that extensive.
      Thanks!

5 Answers Jan 10, 2014 at 4:54 AM
    • parking...crowne plaza

Edinburgh Castle Dec 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Where is near to park as the hotel car park is full! We go tomorrow for two nights.

8 Answers Dec 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    • Dutch Grand father peatworker at Bathgate, Livingstone, California and Muiravonside from 1904 to1921

Bathgate Dec 26, 2013 at 7:46 AM

We are Dutch and our grandgrandfather was peatworker from 1904 till 1921 at Bathgate, Livingstone, California and Muiravonside. His name Antonius van de Kerkhof. We will visit this area. Can give somebody advise how we can find the adresses where he was living with his wife Maria Josepha Noijen and 10 children and maybe the name of the company where he was working, Thank you very very much emailadress j.toer5@chello.nl

9 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM
    • Trip to Edinburgh with a 10 month old baby

Edinburgh Dec 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Hi All,

Me and my wife are traveling to Edinburgh with my 10 month old baby on the 20th of Dec.

Any tips on what attractions would be feasible for us to visit during our 3 days stay.
      Thanks

Som..

5 Answers Dec 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    • travel to penicuik from edinburgh

Penicuik Nov 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM

what is the most effective way to get to penicuik?

3 Answers Nov 5, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    • Faycarlosbrown's Profile Photo

Edinburgh visit in mid November

Edinburgh Oct 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

What is good to see in Edinburgh around November time?

4 Answers Oct 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    • Dunli's Profile Photo

Edinburgh Airport parking

Edinburgh Oct 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Hello Friends,
      I'm about to arrange car parking at Edinburgh Airport. I have been quoted a favourable price for the 8 weeks I require to leave the car. The options are for the long stay car park or the terminal surface parking. The web site states that the terminal surface parking is ideal for short stay parking although it has quoted a price for 8 weeks.
      I suppose it would be better for the car in winter if it was parked under cover in a multi story park. I don't know the layout of the parking at Edinburgh airport and would appreciate any advice from fellow travellers.

Regards,
      Dunli

3 Answers Oct 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    • elpariente's Profile Photo

Where to go

Edinburgh Sep 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

We are spending two and one half day in Edingurgh
      In one side we think that there are plenty of things to see in town for this short time , but in the other we think that there are many interesting places at a short distance
      What do you think about visiting St Andrews or Rosslyn Chapel ?
      Which is the best way to reach these places with public transport ?
      Thank you
      Gracias !!

11 Answers Sep 9, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    • "Traditional" Haggis ceremony

Edinburgh Aug 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

We are going to be in Edinburgh on a tour and one of the optional offerings is a dinner with a "traditional Haggis" ceremony. I am not sure this would be worth the price. £60?

17 Answers Aug 24, 2013 at 2:40 AM
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

Scottish Highlands from Edinburgh - any 1/2 day tours

Edinburgh Aug 20, 2013 at 4:05 AM

I am looking to travel Scottish Highlands from Edinburgh but all tours are 9 hours or more. Is there any tours that are only around 4-6 hours that I can get a feel of the highlands/lake etc. 9hours or more will be definitely tough for our group!! Travel date is next weekend!!

6 Answers Aug 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    • Visiting Edinburgh in September 2013

Edinburgh Aug 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Hi all, I am going to Edinburgh in September this year and would like to seek your advise on the must see attractions and any tips for Edinburgh visit. I will be there for 2 nights. Was thinking of going to Inverness for a day trip. Appreciate your advise. Thanks.

7 Answers Oct 19, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    • kehale's Profile Photo

Best Breakfast in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Jul 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Hi There. We'll be taking the train from Glasgow into Edinburgh Waverley on September 3. Our train arrives shortly after 7:00am, and we are looking for a great place to have breakfast that is walking distance from the station. We hope to visit the Castle afterwards, so if it's in the same direction, bonus - if not, no big deal. We don't mind walking a little and seeing places by foot (that's our plan anyway). Open to all suggestions! :) (Also suggestions for things we should squeeze in since we'll only be in the city for the day). Thank you!

4 Answers Jul 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Fringe in September

Edinburgh Jul 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Is any activity of the FRINGE in the first days of September ?
      5 to 8 th of September
      Thank you - Gracias !!!

2 Answers Jul 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM

B&b hotel in September

Edinburgh Jul 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

We are a group of ten persons , that are spending a few days in Edinburgh
      Can you recommend us a nice b&b or hotel in a nice location , in the centre and not very expensive
      If you know it or have references about it, much better
      I know , that I may find it in Internet but a recommendation should be appreciated
      Thank you Gracias !!!

2 Answers Aug 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    • sheilaashton's Profile Photo

hogmanay pass

Edinburgh Jul 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I am staying in the mercure hotel on princes street for Hogmanay. Do I have to purchases a street ticket.

1 Answer Aug 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    • Arriving late, traveling alone, where should I stay?

Edinburgh Jul 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I'm flying into Edinburgh Thursday, July 25th at 2330. I'm a single young adult woman and I'm nervous trying to navigate my way around. I need an easily accessible hotel or bed in breakfast around 50 euros. Can I take the airport bus that late at night? Is there a place to stay that I can get to by the airport bus? Does this operate at night? I need some tips on what I should do and where I should stay for a couple of nights.

3 Answers Jul 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

Accomodation help

Edinburgh Jul 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM

We booked train tickets seeing a good deal for the holiday period here during August last week. Then we checked Hotels prices near Edinburgh to find it very high with websites showing 75% to 200% price higher than normal days. I require help in knowing a good safe suburban hotel well connected by local trains that will reduce my hotel rate. Considering that we are 4 adults and 2 kids from a family, we will save a lot if we reduce this hotel rate.

Help please.

6 Answers Jul 30, 2013 at 6:29 AM