Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• sophie_07's Profile Photo

Edinburgh for a solo female traveller on a £30 per day budget, any tips? (Dec 17-19)

Edinburgh Sep 14, 2015 at 11:44 PM

I am thinking of spending a few days just to experience Edinburgh for a bit and see/do some useful things. On a budget, obviously. Not planning on doing a lot of outdoor sightseeing or shopping. Perhaps would be nice to experience some real proper Scotch whiskey. :) :) :) How cold will it be during those times, any tips on winter wear? Also, is it safe for a female 30yo? Dates: Dec 17 - 19 Accomodation preference: hostel/community accomodation (anything lively and with other travellers, I like meeting people) laugh

• sophie_07's Profile Photo

Edinburgh for a solo female traveller on a £30 per day budget, any tips? (Dec 17-19)

Edinburgh Sep 14, 2015 at 11:44 PM

I am thinking of spending a few days just to experience Edinburgh for a bit and see/do some useful things. On a budget, obviously. Not planning on doing a lot of outdoor sightseeing or shopping. Perhaps would be nice to experience some real proper Scotch whiskey. :) :) :) How cold will it be during those times, any tips on winter wear? Also, is it safe for a female 30yo? Dates: Dec 17 - 19 Accomodation preference: hostel/community accomodation (anything lively and with other travellers, I like meeting people) laugh

5 Answers Sep 15, 2015 at 8:37 AM
    • evaanna's Profile Photo

Public transport in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Aug 22, 2015 at 11:41 PM

I have heard that there are day tickets at 3.5 pounds that allow you to travel freely on public transport for 24 hours. Is this true and if so, where can we buy them? Would it be possible to get to Rosslyn Chapel, using such a ticket or is it not valid for that zone? And how to get to Rosslyn Chapel from Pollock Halls, Holyrood Park Road, Newington? And one more thing - what would (roughly) be the taxi fare from the airport to Pollock Halls? Thank you ever so much. :)

3 Answers Aug 23, 2015 at 4:55 AM

How to book a room at a Travelodge in Edinburgh?

Edinburgh Aug 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Over a fortnight ago we tried to book a room at a Travelodge in Edinburgh. We followed the procedure, filled in all the data, gave them our bank account number and clicked OK to complete the booking. We expected a confirmation of the booking but instead we got the information that our booking was unsuccessful. Strangely enough, Travelodge did not book a room for us but it ring fenced the amount on our bank account, which meant two weeks' waiting till the money was unblocked. I complained and got a reply which didn't solve the problem. Now today, over two weeks later, when the money was returned to us we tried to make the booking again. And guess what happened? Exactly the same. We now have quite a large sum of money ring fenced (i.e. inaccessible to us) and still no booking. I really don't know what to do. We have air tickets for 5 September and the money will not be accessible till then. Does anybody happen to know what we can do about this? And please don't suggest we phone them - we tried but waited and waited listening to the music till our phone account ran out. International phone calls from Poland are really expensive. For the time being, I sent them another complaint by e-mail and am waiting for a reply, but without much hope.

8 Answers Aug 22, 2015 at 5:34 AM

Hiring a car in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Aug 5, 2015 at 5:20 AM

I need advice about hiring a car in Edinburgh. Is it necessary to make the arrangements in advance? We are going in September. We have had some bad experience connected with payments (for accommodation) on the net and would prefer to arrange the hire on our arrival at the airport. Do you think this is possible? What car hire firms would you recommend? We need a small car and don't want to pay a fortune. Thank you.

15 Answers Sep 13, 2015 at 9:10 PM
    • iccuf's Profile Photo

Hotel in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Aug 3, 2015 at 12:13 PM

My husband and I will be spending 3 nights in Edinburgh. Never been there before. We will not have a card. Do we want to stay in Old Town? or New Town? We like to be able to walk out and be in the middle of everything. I have looked at some of the hotels. The Witchery looks interesting - well, very different, but maybe a little spooky. Comment? Also looked at The Glasshouse - then read a number of negative comments on TripAdvisor. Another I was looking at was GV Royal Mile. Any comments on hotels and whether or not to stay in Old Town? I just read above about restaurants - looks like the better restaurants are outside of the Royal Mile. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Oh, we'll be going the very end of September or first of October. Thanks!

3 Answers Aug 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM
    • What sights would you suggest for a one/two day trip to Edinburgh

Edinburgh Jul 28, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Question as in the title

8 Answers Sep 3, 2015 at 4:28 PM
    • How many days would you stay in the city if you just have 14 days in Scotland

Edinburgh Jul 28, 2015 at 12:32 PM

And would you start your Highland-tour clockwise or counter clockwise ?

6 Answers Jul 30, 2015 at 10:38 AM
    • car rental

Edinburgh Jul 15, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Greetings. I am thinking about renting a Ford C Max from Edinburgh airport to drive to Fort William. I've never driven one of these cars. Do you think it will handle the highland roads ok, or should I opt for a slightly bigger VW Passat?

9 Answers Jul 16, 2015 at 3:09 PM
    • Highlander

Edinburgh Jul 15, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Where could I find one shop or outlet where I can find Highlander articles?

4 Answers Jul 15, 2015 at 5:41 PM
    • sat1503's Profile Photo

Night out for 30-somethings

Edinburgh Jul 1, 2015 at 4:22 PM

I am lookimg for recommendations for a 30-something crowd in the city center. Anyone? Thanks in advance, Mike

2 Answers Jul 6, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    • muratkorman's Profile Photo

Ingliston Park and Ride - long term stay?

Edinburgh May 15, 2015 at 2:15 AM

Dear VT members,
      I need to leave my car for 9 days near Edinburgh airport. I have found Ingliston Park and Ride to be very convenient and free. However, they indicate no overnight stay in website. Is there any VT member who left his car there for a long duration? I don't want to find my car towed when I arrive back. If this will certainly happen, where do you suggest to park the car?
      Thank you for your help.

4 Answers May 19, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Driving, parking, hotel during Tattoo

Edinburgh May 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Unless I can come up with a better idea, we are flying into Edinburgh on Friday morning, picking up a car at the airport, driving to Loch Lomond so my husband can do a swim on Saturday morning, driving back to Edinburgh for the Tattoo Saturday night (tickets are still available as of a few minutes ago for the 7:30 show) and then leaving Sunday morning to head north.

So if we are coming back from Loch Lomond, is there any place close enough to Edinburgh that we can stay with parking, free or pay, and take a train/bus into Edinburgh? Or maybe a train station where we can park overnight and then continue onto a nearby hotel? Or maybe there's long term cheaper parking at the airport? Obviously hotels are at a premium although I can still find one but I'm also not wild about actually driving into Edinburgh city center since we will already have the opposite side of the road issue to worry about.

Maybe an airport hotel? Queensferry? Leith? Mainly I'm concerned about ease of finding it and ease of getting into the city center. Thanks.

16 Answers Sep 14, 2015 at 5:37 AM
    • Hellen79's Profile Photo

A few hours in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Apr 29, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Can you tell me what is possible to do in a few hours from 7 am to 3 pm in Edinburgh?
      Is it maybe possible to go to Glasgow or St Andrews?
      Is it possible to go to Arthur's seat early in the morning? How long does it take from Masson House to get to Arthur's seat?
      Thank you very much!

12 Answers May 28, 2015 at 2:38 AM
    • Jerry_Dawson's Profile Photo

Airbnb Edinburgh

Edinburgh Mar 8, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Hi All,

I have just booked to stay in this beautiful, central apartment in the Old Town of Edinburgh:

We are arriving via train which is ideal because Waverley Station appears to be a very short walk away from this apartment on Jeffrey Street, however while we are there we want to hire a car (so that my wife can visit some relatives in Glasgow) and although I can see that there is 'metered' on-street parking - I was wondering if anyone was aware of any alternatives?

Thank you for your attention!

Jerry Dawson

5 Answers Mar 8, 2015 at 3:35 PM
    • chengdu's Profile Photo

Could you please plan a two day trip in Edinburgh for me?

Edinburgh Feb 22, 2015 at 6:38 AM

I will stay in Edinburgh for two and a half days in March. I will stay at a hostel in High Street. I want to visit Scott Monument, Edinburgh Castle, St. Giles' Cathedral, The Palace of Holyroodhouse, Calton Hill, Princess Street, etc. but I do not know what the two day itinerary should be. Could you please give me some advices? Thank you very much.

7 Answers Feb 24, 2015 at 1:58 AM
    • EleanorB5's Profile Photo

Any members used Airbnb

Edinburgh Feb 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM

I have now tried to book 3 homes to stay and each one has returned not available for my dates. Seems to me the system is falling down somewhat as the hosts should black out the days that their home is unavailable. Has anyone else had this problem? cheers :)

9 Answers Feb 4, 2015 at 12:30 AM
    • Linse's Profile Photo

Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh Jan 17, 2015 at 4:03 AM

How much time can you spend when visiting Edinburgh castle? Is it a couple of hours or a whole day or?
      We are not the types who will linger a lot ..............

7 Answers Jul 15, 2015 at 7:47 AM
    • Ina08's Profile Photo

Tip for a restaurant to celebrate

Edinburgh Nov 24, 2014 at 7:09 AM

On Friday I will have my graduation ceremony at Edinburgh University (yes, I am a "mature" student, lol). Since we are busy on the Friday I would like to celebrate in a nice place the evening before.

What am I looking for? A nice, thoughtful atmosphere, setting and location, inspiring and attractive food and drinks, expense range: I would draw the line at 50 Pounds per person (it's a celebration, isn't it smiley??). We do not have a car and are staying at Portobello, so any place that is reachable by public transport or also by taxi will be fine.

I look forward to your suggestions. And maybe you'd like to join me for a drink on Saturday, I have posted a VT Meet.

5 Answers Nov 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    • mindcrime's Profile Photo

bus to the airport at 4.00am

Edinburgh Nov 6, 2014 at 6:48 AM

what are my options to/from the airport to Old Town(High Street 105)??
      arrival thursday 16.10
      departure sunday 6.30am

6 Answers Nov 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    • mindcrime's Profile Photo

2,5 days in winter

Edinburgh Nov 6, 2014 at 1:49 AM

I will be in Edinburgh in late february, staying in the old town.
      I will arrive on thursday at about 17.00 and depart at 6.00am on sunday.
      considering the cold weather (lets hope not much rain) and limited daylight
      1)what would you suggest to be my itinerary there?
      2)is any museum open after dark? (I'd like to see the momunents, city streets, view etc during the daylight of course.

24 Answers Apr 10, 2015 at 4:38 AM
    • charlesracine's Profile Photo

Arriving June 17th in Edinburgh, is the film festival a big draw, like the festivals in August?

Edinburgh Oct 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM

We are arriving June 17th in Edinburgh, and see the film festival starts then. Is the film festival a big draw and should we have any problems if we wait till a couple months before to book a hotel in the city center? Are there other considerations during that period?

5 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 4:04 AM
    • Linse's Profile Photo

Edinburgh Oct 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Hi Can anyone recommend a restaurant where you can get good scottish venison filet for a reasonable price not too long from Princess street?

3 Answers Oct 12, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    • Life in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Oct 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Hello guys! me and my boyfriend are moving to Edinburgh within 2 weeks!
      we are planning to stay in a cheap hotel/hostal for the first week (any idea) while looking for a place to rent.
      In london we were used to rent a double room in a shared flat since the rent it crazy! what about edinburgh? would it be possible to rent a studio flat with an average job salary?
      How about jobs, easy to find?

I'm kind of lost here, so any help is really appreciated!
      thank you!!!

8 Answers Oct 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM
    • Linse's Profile Photo

Where to stay

Edinburgh Oct 1, 2014 at 12:36 AM

We are looking to go to Edinburgh and would like to stay in the middle of everything. So in daytime we are close to sights and in the afternoon/evening we are close to both shopping and restaurants (and we don't mind noise). Which street/area should we consider then?
      Thank you :-)

7 Answers Oct 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM
    • sanggano's Profile Photo

Self-service laundry

Edinburgh Sep 19, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Would anyone know of a self-service laundry near Haymarket train station?

1 Answer Sep 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    • sanggano's Profile Photo

Day trip out of Edinburgh

Edinburgh Sep 1, 2014 at 5:59 AM

For a day tour, my wife and I have a choice between :

- Loch Ness, Fort Augustus, Glencoe, Caledonian Canal and the Great Glen; or

- Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, Aberfoyle.

For some history and great scenery, which would you choose? Or is there a day tour you would recommend?

Have had very useful information from VTers, and look forward to your insights.
      Thanks in advance!

9 Answers Sep 19, 2014 at 3:15 AM
    • svetlanaM1's Profile Photo

To get to the airport.

Edinburgh Aug 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hello! My question is how can I get to Edinburgh airport from 75 Mayfield Road
      Edinburgh? If you know the best way by public transport?
      Many thanks^)

5 Answers Aug 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Restaurant suggestions

Edinburgh Aug 4, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I thought I was so on top of my trip but I totally forgot to look at dining options for Edinburgh. I've got a few notes jotted down but probably not enough for the 4-5 dinners I need to eat. I'm most likely going to be dining by myself and I don't want to have long multi course meals. I'll be there for the Fringe Festival so I'm guessing a lot of places will be very busy. Staying at Motel One near the train station but I'm willing to go away from the tourist area if there's something interesting. I'm not terribly fussy, it seems like most of my UK trips find me eating Turkish, Mediterranean, Italian/pizza, fish and chips and French bistro food. If anyone has a favorite spot to direct me to, I'd appreciate any suggestions!

11 Answers Aug 6, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    • London train

Edinburgh Jun 19, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Hi everyone!!To go from Edinburgh to London by train making a overnight stop in York, do I have to buy separate tickets for each stop or only one to London and just get off in York and board again the next day? Thanks!!

7 Answers Jun 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    • MrMartin's Profile Photo

How could 14 students (15 - 17 years) from Liechtenstein get in contact with locals?

Edinburgh Jun 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM

We will stay from 23.- 30. June in Edinburgh. It would be nice to have a small sightseeing tour or interessting contact to locals for my 14 students. The goals are: To learn from another culture (even it it is not so different to the Liechtenstein one :-) and to speak English... Do you have some ideas? (We stay in the citycenter of Edinburgh, Cowgate)

4 Answers Jun 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM