Travel Answers
Lothian

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• chengdu's Profile Photo

Could you please plan a two day trip in Edinburgh for me?

Edinburgh Feb 22, 2015 at 6:38 AM

I will stay in Edinburgh for two and a half days in March. I will stay at a hostel in High Street. I want to visit Scott Monument, Edinburgh Castle, St. Giles' Cathedral, The Palace of Holyroodhouse´╝î Calton Hill, Princess Street, etc. but I do not know what the two day itinerary should be. Could you please give me some advices? Thank you very much.

more
    • chengdu's Profile Photo

Could you please plan a two day trip in Edinburgh for me?

Edinburgh Feb 22, 2015 at 6:38 AM

I will stay in Edinburgh for two and a half days in March. I will stay at a hostel in High Street. I want to visit Scott Monument, Edinburgh Castle, St. Giles' Cathedral, The Palace of Holyroodhouse´╝î Calton Hill, Princess Street, etc. but I do not know what the two day itinerary should be. Could you please give me some advices? Thank you very much.

7 Answers Feb 24, 2015 at 1:58 AM
    • EleanorB5's Profile Photo

Any members used Airbnb

Edinburgh Feb 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM

I have now tried to book 3 homes to stay and each one has returned not available for my dates. Seems to me the system is falling down somewhat as the hosts should black out the days that their home is unavailable. Has anyone else had this problem? cheers :)

9 Answers Feb 4, 2015 at 12:30 AM
    • Linse's Profile Photo

Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh Jan 17, 2015 at 4:03 AM

Hi
      How much time can you spend when visiting Edinburgh castle? Is it a couple of hours or a whole day or?
      We are not the types who will linger a lot ..............
      Thanks

6 Answers Jan 17, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    • Ina08's Profile Photo

Tip for a restaurant to celebrate

Edinburgh Nov 24, 2014 at 7:09 AM

On Friday I will have my graduation ceremony at Edinburgh University (yes, I am a "mature" student, lol). Since we are busy on the Friday I would like to celebrate in a nice place the evening before.

What am I looking for? A nice, thoughtful atmosphere, setting and location, inspiring and attractive food and drinks, expense range: I would draw the line at 50 Pounds per person (it's a celebration, isn't it smiley??). We do not have a car and are staying at Portobello, so any place that is reachable by public transport or also by taxi will be fine.

I look forward to your suggestions. And maybe you'd like to join me for a drink on Saturday, I have posted a VT Meet.

5 Answers Nov 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    • mindcrime's Profile Photo

bus to the airport at 4.00am

Edinburgh Nov 6, 2014 at 6:48 AM

what are my options to/from the airport to Old Town(High Street 105)??
      arrival thursday 16.10
      departure sunday 6.30am

6 Answers Nov 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    • mindcrime's Profile Photo

2,5 days in winter

Edinburgh Nov 6, 2014 at 1:49 AM

I will be in Edinburgh in late february, staying in the old town.
      I will arrive on thursday at about 17.00 and depart at 6.00am on sunday.
      considering the cold weather (lets hope not much rain) and limited daylight
      1)what would you suggest to be my itinerary there?
      2)is any museum open after dark? (I'd like to see the momunents, city streets, view etc during the daylight of course.

24 Answers Nov 16, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    • charlesracine's Profile Photo

Arriving June 17th in Edinburgh, is the film festival a big draw, like the festivals in August?

Edinburgh Oct 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM

We are arriving June 17th in Edinburgh, and see the film festival starts then. Is the film festival a big draw and should we have any problems if we wait till a couple months before to book a hotel in the city center? Are there other considerations during that period?

5 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 4:04 AM
    • Linse's Profile Photo

Restaurant

Edinburgh Oct 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Hi Can anyone recommend a restaurant where you can get good scottish venison filet for a reasonable price not too long from Princess street?

3 Answers Oct 12, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    • Life in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Oct 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Hello guys! me and my boyfriend are moving to Edinburgh within 2 weeks!
      we are planning to stay in a cheap hotel/hostal for the first week (any idea) while looking for a place to rent.
      In london we were used to rent a double room in a shared flat since the rent it crazy! what about edinburgh? would it be possible to rent a studio flat with an average job salary?
      How about jobs, easy to find?

I'm kind of lost here, so any help is really appreciated!
      thank you!!!

8 Answers Oct 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM
    • Linse's Profile Photo

Where to stay

Edinburgh Oct 1, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Hi
      We are looking to go to Edinburgh and would like to stay in the middle of everything. So in daytime we are close to sights and in the afternoon/evening we are close to both shopping and restaurants (and we don't mind noise). Which street/area should we consider then?
      Thank you :-)

7 Answers Oct 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM
    • sanggano's Profile Photo

Self-service laundry

Edinburgh Sep 19, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Would anyone know of a self-service laundry near Haymarket train station?

1 Answer Sep 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    • sanggano's Profile Photo

Day trip out of Edinburgh

Edinburgh Sep 1, 2014 at 5:59 AM

For a day tour, my wife and I have a choice between :

- Loch Ness, Fort Augustus, Glencoe, Caledonian Canal and the Great Glen; or

- Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, Aberfoyle.

For some history and great scenery, which would you choose? Or is there a day tour you would recommend?

Have had very useful information from VTers, and look forward to your insights.
      Thanks in advance!

9 Answers Sep 19, 2014 at 3:15 AM
    • svetlanaM1's Profile Photo

To get to the airport.

Edinburgh Aug 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hello! My question is how can I get to Edinburgh airport from 75 Mayfield Road
      Edinburgh? If you know the best way by public transport?
      Many thanks^)

5 Answers Aug 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Restaurant suggestions

Edinburgh Aug 4, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I thought I was so on top of my trip but I totally forgot to look at dining options for Edinburgh. I've got a few notes jotted down but probably not enough for the 4-5 dinners I need to eat. I'm most likely going to be dining by myself and I don't want to have long multi course meals. I'll be there for the Fringe Festival so I'm guessing a lot of places will be very busy. Staying at Motel One near the train station but I'm willing to go away from the tourist area if there's something interesting. I'm not terribly fussy, it seems like most of my UK trips find me eating Turkish, Mediterranean, Italian/pizza, fish and chips and French bistro food. If anyone has a favorite spot to direct me to, I'd appreciate any suggestions!

11 Answers Aug 6, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    • London train

Edinburgh Jun 19, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Hi everyone!!To go from Edinburgh to London by train making a overnight stop in York, do I have to buy separate tickets for each stop or only one to London and just get off in York and board again the next day? Thanks!!

7 Answers Jun 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    • MrMartin's Profile Photo

How could 14 students (15 - 17 years) from Liechtenstein get in contact with locals?

Edinburgh Jun 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM

We will stay from 23.- 30. June in Edinburgh. It would be nice to have a small sightseeing tour or interessting contact to locals for my 14 students. The goals are: To learn from another culture (even it it is not so different to the Liechtenstein one :-) and to speak English... Do you have some ideas? (We stay in the citycenter of Edinburgh, Cowgate)

4 Answers Jun 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Day trips from Edinburgh

Edinburgh Jun 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I'm heading to Edinburgh for 5 days prior to heading on to England and Scotland in mid August. I've been to Edinburgh a couple of times so I've seen most of the sights there, however, I'll be there during a whole pile of festivals including the Fringe festival so I still need to do some research on that Here's what I've got as my tentative plan, I've already purchased a historic Scotland pass (3 days out of 4 consecutive days) that includes a lot on my list:

Day 1 arrive 7:45am after overnight flight, check in, spend some time in Edinburgh
      Day 2 Stirling Castle, Doune Castle (Monty Python)-both on Pass
      Day 3 Possible daytrip to see some other part of Scotland
      Day 4 Linlithgow Castle, Blackness Castle-both on Pass
      Day 5 Craigmillar Castle, Edinburgh Castle-both on Pass, leave 6pm for Manchester

It's been suggested that I can also see Linlithgow on the Stirling day, by a local, since they are in the same general direction, the train ticket appears to allow breaks in the journey so I'll play by ear. If I do that, then Blackness will probably get chopped and I might just stay in Edinburgh

For day 3, I was looking at a couple of companies, Rabbies and Timberbush and they both have Loch Ness trips, one includes Uruqhart, one doesn't, about the same price, the Uruqhart trip is 1/2 hour longer, 12 hours vs. 12 1/2 hours. I understand that it's a long way each direction, 3 hours or so, they both go by Rannoch Moor, Glencoe, Fort Augustus, spend approx. 2 hours at Loch Ness including an optional boat trip, Grampian mountains and a stop at Pitlochry. Thoughts? People seem to love the companies but then I'm reading a lot about Loch Ness and that it's not all that (Loch Ness monster sightings not withstanding). The closer Loch tours all include one of the castles I was planning on seeing on my own, I guess I could do the Loch Lomond tour and see the town of Stirling while everyone else toured the castle. Or delete Stirling Castle from day 2 and see something else. Less driving, is that Loch more scenic?

7 Answers Jun 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    • Unique 30th

Edinburgh Jun 5, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Hi, it's my 30th birthday soon and I'd like to do something unique. I'd need to stay close to home in Edinburgh but as I've lived here for almost 10 years, I've done most sightseeing things. I can't say I'm really into the adventure sports where heights feature but I wouldn't mind splashing out a little on something to do during the day. Thanks!

2 Answers Jun 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    • all for love...

Edinburgh May 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM

How much is a return bus ticket from Edinburgh to Dumfries?

1 Answer May 28, 2014 at 3:58 AM
    • there & back?!

Edinburgh May 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Anyone tell me how much a return bus ticket is from edinburgh to dumfries is please??

2 Answers May 31, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    • Boohawk13's Profile Photo

Day Trip from Edinburgh to Mallaig - Is the scenery worth a a full day on the train

Edinburgh May 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM

We will be in Edinburgh for several days in September. Looking to have one day be our train trip/scenery day. From other comments, Loch Ness isn't the best scenery. So thinking of taking a train all day and going out to Mallaig and back. Wondering if it is worth the time. Other option would be a day trip to Loch Lomond. We will have BritRail passes so train cost isn't an issue. Or does anyone have any other options of what we could do by train in a day.

5 Answers Jun 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    • paddington28's Profile Photo

passport or driving licence

Edinburgh May 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Im flying from edinburgh to bristol in August with easyjet, do i have to use my passport (as i need to send my passport to an embassy in august for a visa) or can i use my uk driving licence

13 Answers May 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Passenger ferries to and from Edinburgh to mainland Europe, Denmark or Norway

Edinburgh May 1, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Further, are there ferries to and from Edinburgh to mainland Europe, Denmark or Norway in mid summer? Thanks all in advance, Chuck

10 Answers May 1, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    • 3 weeks in Edinburgh for a single 40 year old woman who likes culture and night life

Edinburgh Apr 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I am planning to stay in Edinburgh for about 3 weeks, and want to get a taste for what it would be like to live there. I may check out some advanced education programs, and also want to do the touristy things, and enjoy some pubs and clubs. I would like a central location that feels pedestrian friendly, with lots of shops, restaurants, and easy access to the cultural sights. Night life for people in their 30s and up would be great to find, too. Budget is middle of the road. Where might I stay?

2 Answers Apr 22, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Cruises that originate from Edinburgh, UK?

Edinburgh Apr 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Are there cruises that originate from Edinburgh to mainland Europe or Denmark or Norway?

2 Answers Apr 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    • hotel in edinburg

Edinburgh Mar 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM

hi can anyone suggest a good hotel in edinburg central , i have 2 children aged 6 and 1 1 with me ,my budget is between 100 and 150 pounds per night

4 Answers Apr 1, 2014 at 12:54 AM
    • AdrianaW's Profile Photo

Safety with luggage - which one to bring?

Edinburgh Jan 31, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Hello, I'm coming to the Edinburgh in april 2014 and I have for me very important question. What about daily luggage? When I will be in the city, walking, is safe to have a backpack? I am talking about thiefs. Do I need someting, what I can see, or is backpack alright? Many thanks for your answers.

9 Answers Feb 1, 2014 at 4:12 AM
    • Best restaurants/pubs/cafes in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Dec 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hi there!
      I am going to stay in Edinburgh for three days and I am looking for some nice places to eat and some picturesque pubs.
      Do you have some tips for me? The trip is a sort of romantic get-away, we are both students so are budgets are not that extensive.
      Thanks!

5 Answers Jan 10, 2014 at 4:54 AM
    • parking...crowne plaza

Edinburgh Castle Dec 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Where is near to park as the hotel car park is full! We go tomorrow for two nights.

8 Answers Dec 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    • Dutch Grand father peatworker at Bathgate, Livingstone, California and Muiravonside from 1904 to1921

Bathgate Dec 26, 2013 at 7:46 AM

We are Dutch and our grandgrandfather was peatworker from 1904 till 1921 at Bathgate, Livingstone, California and Muiravonside. His name Antonius van de Kerkhof. We will visit this area. Can give somebody advise how we can find the adresses where he was living with his wife Maria Josepha Noijen and 10 children and maybe the name of the company where he was working, Thank you very very much emailadress j.toer5@chello.nl

8 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM