Los Angeles Travel Answers

change location

Hostels?

by Hamilton.Sarah Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM

What are some of the best hostels in LA? How do you get there from LAX?!

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Hostels?

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I'll let the more recent locals answer about the "best hostels" as I only know of one in Hollywood and it didn't look all that good. As for transportation, LA is not that great but there is bus service from LAX. Check the LA Metro Bus web site.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM

The LA Bus line web site is http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/

Be the first to rate this answer!

• marinarena's Profile Photo

by marinarena Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM

A fun hostel is the Adventurer, in Inglewood. It is in the part of Inglewood that is not so bad crime wise. It's not a visually attractive area but not a total dump. Some say Inglewood's all ghetto like but where the hotel is- it's less neighborhood and more busy airport city with lots of hotels around. Just use common sense precaution as one would anyway, esp at night. I was all right, felt safe as a young woman in the area, and great thing- it's very close to LAX. I believe there is still a shuttle that takes one straight to the airport from hotel and picks up also. I wasn't supposed to stay there since I was local to CA, but stayed with a friend who was from outside the US. There is a home kind of feeling there within (comfy sofa, wash/dry on premises and there are shuttles that will take visitors to Venice Beach for entertainment. There were a lot of Aussies and Brits when i stayed. Most people, including the staff were friendly, very casual.

The Adventurer is most ideal because of the vicinity to LAX and is relatively inexpensive, $45-$60 for basic room. The Hollywood Hostel on Hollywood looks more depresssing to me from what I have seen on the outside and it's further away.

1 member found this helpful

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM

If you are going to pay 45-60 for a hostel in Inglewood, you might also have a look at Hotwire or Priceline near LAX. I used to get 3-4* hotels for $60 near LAX using blind bidding. IMHO LAX is not an optimal place to stay though, I used to stay there because my Grandma lived in Inglewood but it's not terribly convenient especially if you are not renting a car

If you're looking for the hostel experience though, you might check out the YHA hostel in Santa Monica, I don't personally know anything about this hostel so you'll have to do a little research but Santa Monica might be a nicer place to stay, it appears to be $41-43 per night for a shared room.

hihostels.com/dba/hostels-HI...

Here are directions on how to get to the hostel from LAX

hihostels.com/dba/hostel0600...

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Best hostel in Los Angeles is the Banana Bungalows on Melrose in West Hollywood. It is about as centrally lo cated as possible, right on the main trendy shopping street to the stars. Here is their website, and I will add the Melrose Avenue website as well. have fun........d:o)

bananabungalowus.com/west%20...

seeing-stars.com/shop/melros...

What else do ya need?........holla back.............d:o)

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM

One of the best hostels I know of is the Hollywood Hostel, a part of the USAHostels chain. Coming to LA and Hollywood is a must see location. Why not stay where the action is. Located only 1/2 block to Hollywood Blvd. and only a few blocks between the corners of Hollywood/Highland and Hollywood/Vine. This hostel has separate male and female rooms with 6 to a room. The best part are their private pods to sleep. From Lax there is Super Shuttle that charges, but takes you to the door. "Via door-to-door shuttle - $15 * Follow signs for "Shared Ride Vans."* Find the person in a blue SuperShuttle jacket or t-shirt and ask for a SuperShuttle to USA Hostels Hollywood (1624 Schrader Blvd.)"> The Hollywood Hostel offers free Shuttle to Santa Monica or Venice. One of my friends stayed here and enjoyed the cleanliness and the fun adventures offered by the Hollywood Hostel. See for yourself. Check out their webpage: http://www.usahostels.com/hollywood/

• Usctwin's Profile Photo

by Usctwin Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Look into Hostelling Internationals Santa Monica Hostel on 2nd street. It's close to the beach and starts at $35 a night. You can take a cab from the airport, which is probably the easiest and not too expensive.

• Re: Hostels?

by Hamilton.Sarah Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Thanks for your advice!!!!

• Re: Hostels?

by Hamilton.Sarah Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Awesome. Man there's so many choices > Thanks! And I think instead of a cab I'm gonna use The Hostel Hopper (it's $40 bucks to any hostel in LA). But I'll definitely check out the public transit....

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines