Los Angeles Travel Answers

change location

santa monica / west hollywood

by amccombs Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Dear all,

Me and my girlfriend are visiting LA on the 6th of june. We will probably be staying in either Santa monica, Brntwood or West hollywood. We're looking for a decent budget motel. Not too far from all the action (beach / shops or cafes). Any recommendations for nice motels in the above mentioned area. Any recommendations for nice things we could do or visit are welcome. We don't care about visiting the hollywood sign or disney. We're only staying for 2 full days and would really like to experience the real california. See some nice places, enjoy some good food and experience the real southern california is all we want to do..

Greetings,

Andre

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: santa monica / west hollywood

by cgf Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM

you may check Motel 6 Los Angeles - Hollywood - I've been there once - not bad - when  I've been there it alread needs some renovations, but our room was clean, anyway it's a motel 6 - check on TA

for the car you better book - free wifi - and coffee in the morning. not expensive, easy located, just  5 minutes from walk of Fame, it's not too far from metro and from there is also a bus which goes straight to Santa Monica.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Hi I recommend staying in Santa Monica near the promenade. It's mostly super expensive hotels but there is an Hostelling Internation right there. It's awesome and have private rooms...probably hard to get. There are a couple of holiday inns and similar.

The seashore on main street in SM is a budget motel...not fancy but clean and nice...two blocks from the beach and right on the main drag of SM for restaurants and nightlife. Great choice.

Sadly, LA is expensive...a couple of other options...try the Ramada on washington near lincoln. Good location...standard accommodations.

One other thought for real cheap and not so awesome is the Motel 8 on Lincoln at Venice...close enough to beach and Abbott Kinney street which is hipster central for good and bad. Great restaurants there...

• Re: santa monica / west hollywood

by amccombs Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Thanks for all the usefull information! Really really appreciate it!

Be the first to rate this answer!

by amccombs Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Hello, Thanks for  your advice!!  The seashore look okay to me, but isn't it a little bit far from the promenade? There is another cheap motel near santa monica's place called Carmel hotel. This motel gets some bad reviews on TA.  Every body likes the location though! I can't really find a lot of information on the main street area. Could you briefly describe this area? And how is it copared to the promenade area? Thanks again!     giampiero6 wrote:

Hi I recommend staying in Santa Monica near the promenade. It's mostly super expensive hotels but there is an Hostelling Internation right there. It's awesome and have private rooms...probably hard to get. There are a couple of holiday inns and similar.

The seashore on main street in SM is a budget motel...not fancy but clean and nice...two blocks from the beach and right on the main drag of SM for restaurants and nightlife. Great choice.

Sadly, LA is expensive...a couple of other options...try the Ramada on washington near lincoln. Good location...standard accommodations.

One other thought for real cheap and not so awesome is the Motel 8 on Lincoln at Venice...close enough to beach and Abbott Kinney street which is hipster central for good and bad. Great restaurants there...

by amccombs Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your advice!! The seashore look okay to me, but isn't it a little bit far from the promenade? There is another cheap motel near santa monica's place called Carmel hotel. This motel gets some bad reviews on TA. Every body likes the location though! I can't really find a lot of information on the main street area. Could you briefly describe this area? And how is it copared to the promenade area?

Thanks again!

by amccombs Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your advice!! The seashore look okay to me, but isn't it a little bit far from the promenade? There is another cheap motel near santa monica's place called Carmel hotel. This motel gets some bad reviews on TA. Every body likes the location though! I can't really find a lot of information on the main street area. Could you briefly describe this area? And how is it copared to the promenade area?

Thanks again!

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM

did you mean next to the beach a place to stay in the promenade area in Santa Monica or you really meant near the 3rd Street Promenade, the pedestrian-friendly area??

you wrote LA is expensive, well Santa Monica is not the cheapest place in California, the 3rd Street Promenade is definitely a quite expensive area !

anyway for what you pay for I found the most expensive accomodation in US in Manhattan, NYC.

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM

amccombs wrote:

The seashore look okay to me, but isn't it a little bit far from the promenade? There is another cheap motel near santa monica's place called Carmel hotel. This motel gets some bad reviews on TA. Every body likes the location though! I can't really find a lot of information on the main street area. Could you briefly describe this area? And how is it copared to the promenade area?

Seashore is perfectly adequate. There's a main street SM which is less touristy and more local and has lots of bars and restaurants and is closer to Abbott Kinney in Venice which is great. It's between roughly Pico and Navy

Promenade is for tourists, but it's fun and pedestrian.

Carmel is ok and in a great location but my brother didn't like it. It is a budget motel with a nice lobby...prime location.

by amccombs Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM

thanks again for all the info! Virtual tourist is in my opinion one off the most usefull travel websites I know!

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Thanks :) Ours too! Have fun and let us know when you go on the trip, how it was!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines