Los Angeles Travel Answers

change location
hazyartist's Profile Photo

Hotel near the Sheraton Gateway at the L.A. airport

by hazyartist Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Hi everyone! I am going to attend a 3 day course at the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel in mid-April. Are there any decent, more economical hotels close to the Sheraton Gateway that are either within walking distance or have public transport close to them? I need to be able to get to the course early in the morning and late at night so I also want to feel safe travelling alone to and from? Thank you! Elaine

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • DueSer's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel near the Sheraton Gateway at the L.A. airport

by DueSer Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

This is not an area you want to be walking around in, esp at night. Unfortunately the area around LAX is filled with girlie bars and seedy restaurants. Also, most of the hotels that are right there on Century by LAX are going to be about the same price. If one of them is drastically less, I would be a little suspect. Maybe give Travelocity or one of those booking sites a try and see if perhaps you can get a special deal but stay at a hotel with a recognizable chain name so you're sure to get a decent place and remember, walking around there isn't going to be safe so if you do find a good deal for another nearby hotel, make sure it is VERY nearby.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • flynboxes's Profile Photo

by flynboxes Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

The girlie bars have been shut down with the exception of maybe one tucked back in a warehouse area East of Aviation Blvd that you will never find. A good rule of thumb is to avoid going East of Aviation Blvd with the exception of the Westin and a few other hotels on Century Blvd. Check the Hotel Hermosa on PCH which is about 15 min S. of the airport (check to see if they have an airport shuttle). There is a Marriot and a few other hotels in Manhattan Beach on Rosecrans Blvd which are close to shopping, an AMC theater and plenty of places to eat - Many of these hotels offer free rides to Manahattan Village Shopping Center. If you want cheap and next to the airport try the La Quinta on Century. You could walk back and forth to the Sheraton from there and the only thing you might see is a few homeless folks under the railroad bridge at the intersection of Aviation and Century but if you are still concerned take the shuttle back to the airport and have La Quinta pick you up from there.

1 member found this helpful

• hazyartist's Profile Photo

by hazyartist Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

You people are incredible! Thank you flynboxes for the extra info that I have already started to check out. I like being able to choose where I'm staying and to be able to walk a bit to get a feel for the area. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

by hazyartist Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

DueSer, just though I'd post in response to your answer. Thanks for the web information and the very quick response. :-)

• amal231's Profile Photo

by amal231 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Some two years back i have to Magic Castle Hotel near Sheraton gateway and found this place quite comfortable and cost effective.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I used to stay near LAX a couple of times a year up until 2010 and I always got my hotels by bidding on Priceline. I got some really great deals on the Westin, the Radisson, the Crowne Plaza. If you look at my LA page you can get an idea of what I got at what price but the site I'd recommend checking out is biddingfortravel.com to see what people are currently paying and bidding. I found if I bid a certain star level that I could narrow the ultimate hotel down to a couple of choices.

by hazyartist Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Hello amal231, The Magic Castle Hotel seems to be a place mostly frequented by families (TripAdvisor stats) and the prices are way higher than at the Sheraton Gateway. Thanks for the information as it looks like a nice place to stay but up to now it's stil the Sheraton Gateway. :-)

by hazyartist Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Hello Dabs, The webpage for bidding is fantastic! Never heard of it. I also checked out your LA page... very informative. So, the learning curve continues. The prices after bidding are definitely lower than 109 per night at the Sheraton. If I get a room on a bid, I'd have money to cover the costs of the meals and still come out ahead. :-) I wonder if the shuttles move from hotel to hotel or each has their own as I will finish the day's course late and shuttling to the airport at almost midnight and then back to where I'm staying, and reversing that in the morning sounds a bit inefficient although definitely more economical. wonderful! thank you!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I suppose if you save enough money and don't feel comfortable walking you could take a taxi with part of the savings. Most of the LAX hotels are lined up in a row along Century Blvd., the Westin is a bit further down the road. I can't imagine it'd be much more than $5 for a taxi between any of them. You might even get the Sheraton :-) Just remember, non changeable and non refundable, if there's a chance of not going, I wouldn't use Priceline's blind bidding.

by hazyartist Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Dabs, that sounds like a level-headed piece of advice and now that I know those hotels are all along the same road, I can get a picture of what's really happening. I really appreciate you having turned this whole thing over again and come up with yet more that can help me along.Thank you once again.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I was just bidding on a hotel in London on Priceline and remembered there was another bidding help website called betterbidding.com. Seems like a lot more people use that now than use the other one I gave you.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines