Lorient Travel Answers

change location

Transport by Bus

by pattacake Online Now May 29, 2012 at 12:38 AM

We are visiting Lorient on a cruise in October. We would like to visit either Concarneau or Pont Aven by bus or train. Can someone help with a bus or train schedule which is current.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: Transport by Bus

by pfsmalo Online Now May 29, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Hi,
    Two big problems here,Lorient is in departement (county)56 and both Concarneau and Pont Aven are in the 29, a different departement and as such nigh impossible to get a bus. 2nd problem, there doesn't seem to be a train station in Concarneau anymore. Only solution I van find : Train (ter) from Lorient to Rosporden wwhich are pretty frequent and take about 30 mins. Then from Rosporden station you can get a bus no 44 to Concarneau. This is the site address for the bus with timetable. Unfortunately this timetable only goes to the end of August, so you'll have to check it out a bit later for October. On the site you can reverse it to get the times from Concarneau back again.

viaoo29.fr/horaires_ligne/in...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now May 29, 2012 at 6:03 AM

The current train timetable is on this page and it won't be greatly different to that which applies in October

telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...

Trains between Lorient, Quimperlé and Rosporden are shy creatures, not coming out very often and you will see some gaps of almost four hours between trains. Careful planning will be needed.

And indeed the passenger rail line to Concarneau closed more than 20 years ago to be replaced by a very infrequent bus service as mentioned. The station building is still open however, as an SNCF shop and ticket sales office!

The timetable for the number 47 bus between Quimperlé and Concarneau via Pont Aven can be downloaded from

viaoo29.fr/ftp/FR_documents/...

and the 44 Rosporden to Concarneau

viaoo29.fr/ftp/FR_documents/...

I hope that helps.

Check again before October as things may change.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 29, 2012 at 6:59 AM

nice time to cruise, boomer I live not far from there and visited. But I use a car, public transport here is shamefully missing,even for school age kids like mines.

the other Concarneau and Pont Aven are gorgeous towns better than LOrient, which after WWII was renovated all new( because of submarines base there bombed)

well for the bus, the site given by others dont recall is the department 29 transport site, and Lorient is in 56 where I live, the Morbihan.

true no train station in Concarneau indeed. However there is a consolidated transport site for all of Brittany, and it gives this information (i have it in my pages here)
    from Lorient take the local TER train direction Quimper and stop at Rosporden,right next to train station there is the bus terminal, take bus No 44 direction le Port, and arrive at the stop or arrêt Le Poteau Vert in concarneau, takes a little over an hour travel time

from Lorient, take the local TER train direction Quimper and stop at arrêt Quimperlé ,again the bus terminal is close next to it and take bus No 47 direction Le Port, and stop at arrêt Centre in Pont Aven. about 1h10 m travel time

prices could not tell you.but buses is usually 2 Euros now, and the train could be anywhere from 10 to 30 euros the trip.

Last you can hire a taxi ::)
    http://taxi-loy.fr/
    http://www.taxilorient.com/

Hope it helps

• Re: Transport by Bus

by pattacake Online Now Jul 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Thanks for your previous reply to my question. I have now discovered that our ship is not docking at Lorient, but we will be tendered into Concarneau which will be great. Do you know if there is a bus which would take us to Quimper or Pont Aven for a short visit?

Thanks for your help.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Jul 21, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Here is a link for Concarneau - Quimper

autocars-ete.com/telechargem...

And another one including Pont-Aven

elorn-evasion.com/telecharge...

Unfortunately these pages cannot be put into English but you should be able to work out the time-tables.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jul 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM

the site on my pages for all of Brittany public transport is
    www.breizhgo.com

hope it helps

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines