Loreto Travel Answers

change location

Snorkeling from shore,rental for a month

by debbb11 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I am in awe of how beautiful this area looks. I am thinking of spending Sept in Loreto but want to know where the best shore snorkeling is? I plan to have a kayak so could also kayak over to areas. How far out are the Islands from shore? Is it safe to kayak out that way (lots of boats,strong currents ?) Also what area would you recommend a solo female stay in,I'm thinking of the Loreto bay area but would love to stay in town if there was a recommended safe place (with good snorkeling close by) Thanks for any help Deb

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Re: Snorkeling from shore,rental for a month

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM

well, September is THE hottest month here, unless you count july and Aug and Oct........, but Sept is also the month that many of the local establishments (restaurants, shops) take THEIR vacation and close down because there are hardly any tourists, and did I mention the heat??

But whenever you want to go, have a look at this place on my Loreto Page, which I have stayed at 3 times now and probably will stay again on my drive up the peninsula in July.
    "A GREAT FIND!" - Coco Cabanas Loreto Tip by ViajesdelMundo
    additonally to the nice rooms, they have casitas with small kitchen, etc., for longer stays, but they are older buildings, but have their own loca ambience.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Snorkeling from shore,rental for a month

by debbb11 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Thanks for the info.I'll check out the place you mentioned.I knew it would be hot.I live in Tucson so I'm use to the heat
    .My goal is to snorkel till I drop ( and looking at possible places to live part time when I retire) !!! I'm sad to hear the town closes up in Sept though :( I picked Sept because thats when the water is warm and usually clear visability (and no jelly fish) at least on the main land side where I usually go ( San Carlos,almost straight across from Loreto)

Does the farmers markets close up also during that time or is there a market in town to buy fresh fruit ,veggies?

Thanks for your help,its really hard to find any info on this area

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM

to my knowledge, usually there are no farmers markets in the Baja Sur towns at this time of year, but there are always fruits and vegs available at the regular little grocery stores.

of course no one can pick the weather, and Loreto is not usually a main place to worry about hurricanes, but in the last few years they have been hit hard by storms which came aross the peninsula from the Pacific side and really devastated the town; and even just the tail end of a hurricane in the area can of course erase the ability to go kayaking.

have you had a look at weather charts for Loreto:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loreto... page down a little

and wunderground is good for hurricane info later on:

wunderground.com/weather-for...

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

there is another VT Member who has a condo in Loreto, who may be able to be of more specific help or you could look at his pages: 'Agraichen' and you should have a look at his Loreto page: "Hidden paradise" - Loreto by Agraichen
    and I notice that he has some info about fresh vegetables too

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Snorkeling from shore,rental for a month

by debbb11 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Thank you so much for All the info and the links to check out.I will try your resources and the person you mentioned. I have hit dead ends in most of my searches,even tried to contact some rental owners and the owner of one of the yahoo groups for Loreto. Sadly they were not very friendly :(
    Many thanks,

Deb

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM

you're welcome; good luck finding what you need; sorry I don't know specifics of the kayaking

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines