change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• gillymacc's Profile Photo

mobility impaired and getting around

by gillymacc Online Now May 22, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Can you get from where the cruise ships let you off to the centre of Longyearbyen by bus or taxi? Its too far for me to walk, although I can walk around the town perfectly well (Provided I have the odd stop for coffee!)

And equally important, can we get a taxi/bus back???

We will be there 23rd June this year.

Thanks for any help and hints.

3 Answers Aug 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    • when to go - questions on ice and boat trips

by emppu2 Online Now Nov 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Longyearbyen this summer, either in the beginning of June, towards the end of June or the beginning of July. Which timing would be best, if my main interest is to see the great walls of ice from the sea, and glaciers?

Could there be a risk, at any time during the summer season, that either the boat routes are not open or that there are not enought people for the cruise to take off? Another question: I'm only there for a few days, so I could just get on a day-cruise to see anything. Which cruise would you recommend as the most impressive one with views on ice? The names of different glaciers don't say too much to me at the tourism web site, so I'm puzzled.

Thanks in advance for hints!

4 Answers Dec 19, 2009 at 3:26 AM
    • andy.s's Profile Photo

snow

by andy.s Online Now Dec 26, 2007 at 12:11 PM

hi
      how long does the snow last for as i am looking to travel in mid march

cheers andy london

4 Answers Feb 6, 2008 at 11:49 AM
    • Misellaneous questions on Longyearbyen.

by vladimir_yorrick Online Now Mar 7, 2006 at 12:53 AM

Hi,

I plan to stay at Longyearbyen for a couple of months. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any replies.
      1) Mobile phone: Where and what sort of a prepaid SIM card should I get for my tri-band mobile phone that would work in Longyearbyen? I will be in Oslo first and would be able to get one there.
      2) I know that there is a bank in Longyearbyen. Is there an ATM that accepts Cirrus/Maestro cards (i.e. I could withdraw money from my home bank)?

Thank you.

3 Answers Mar 12, 2006 at 11:44 PM
    • Places to Stay in Longyearbyen (Svalbard).

by vladimir_yorrick Online Now Feb 16, 2006 at 3:48 AM

Hi,

I am looking at staying in Longyearbyen for a couple of months.

I have done some basic enquires on accommodation. I could only afford guesthouses. Could someone who has stayed at:
      1) Mary-Ann's Polarrigg
      2) Spitsbergen Guesthouse
      3) The '102' Guesthouse
      please tell me a bit more about these places?

Thank you.

5 Answers May 25, 2006 at 5:11 AM
    • tini58de's Profile Photo

Activities June 11/12 - anybody there as well???

by tini58de Online Now May 7, 2005 at 12:24 PM

We will be in Longyearbyen from June 11 - 13, 2005 and hope to spend two unforgettable days there. But since it is not really high season, it might be difficult to find something exciting to do!

Any suggestions and/or anybody there at the same time who would like to meet?

Looking forward to your replies!

1 Answer May 22, 2005 at 4:43 PM
    • tini58de's Profile Photo

Activities June 11/12 - anybody there as well???

by tini58de Online Now May 7, 2005 at 10:50 AM

We will be in Longyearbyen from June 11 - 13, 2005 and hope to spend two unforgettable days there. But since it is not really high season, it might be difficult to find something exciting to do!

Any suggestions and/or anybody there at the same time who would like to meet?

Looking forward to your replies!

• knilaus's Profile Photo

Tips wanted regarding Longyearbyen -> Barentsburg hike

by knilaus Online Now Dec 14, 2004 at 12:58 PM

I will be going to Svalbard for the second time from August 21st - 30th 2005. With this being my second trip I am considering somewhat more ambitious endeavours such as going hiking without the assistance of a guide. I am currently looking for advice and people, who might like to join me for a relatively undemanding outing of maybe four days' duration starting out from Longyearbyen. One trip I'm considering would be to go from Longyearbyen to Barentsburg and return by boat. I have the maps from NPI, GPS and am a subscriber to Svalbardposten. I am skilled with a hunting rifle. I have most of the major equipment that I think I would need (i.e. wind-proof tunnel tent, -10C sleeping bag, good 75L backpak, decent footwear, warm clothing), which has been proven already under arctic conditions. I know about most of the safety precautions regarding wildlife and glaciers. I would be interested in a hiking trail that could be traversed in about four days under good conditions and not requiring any glacial walking or climbing with good possibilities for setting up a tent and a low chance of polar bear encounters. Can anyone in here recommend a particular route? It seems to me the best option would be to walk past Hotelnesset into the Björndalen, walking west at Grumantbreen through the Grumantdalen, then once at Grumantbyen head southwest along the Rusanovodden (I've heard there is a disused railway along this trail) to Colesbukta crossing the Coleselva and then just generally following the coastline to Heerodden from where Barentsburg should be easily within reach? Is this the best route to take bearing in mind my preferences and limitations listed in the above? Are there any special issues to keep in mind? Specifically: 1) How easy is it to cross over the southern mountain ridge of Grönberget (at Grumantbreen) 2) Is it possible to hike along the shore from Grumantbyen to Colesbukta in late August? 3) Where is the suggested point of crossing the Coleselva and is there a recommendable technique for doing so?

1 Answer Dec 25, 2004 at 9:23 AM
    • alexeikarp's Profile Photo

Svalbard Trip

by alexeikarp Online Now Jul 18, 2004 at 9:45 AM

Dear VT's, I'm organising a trip to Svalbard in the end of March-Beginning of April 2005, to meet the returning sun. I've made a website with a description of Svalbard as well as my calculations of the Expenses and Itinerary. The trip is starting from Luxembourg, so if you're from the BENELUX, West Germany or Lorraine, you're welcome to join us. Other travellers are also more than welcome to join us in Oslo or Tromso. The site is http://svalbard.eu.tt Please bear in mind that my group of people is young and active and this trip requires a certain resistance to cold :).... Hope to hear from you, Lexy

• accomodation

by roy_hv5 Online Now Mar 21, 2004 at 2:08 PM

Hi, first week of May we, Roy + Lenny +2 sons Chris and Niels, have the chance to vist Longyearbyen. We are eager to find a bed-and-breakfast alike accomodations for 5 nights. Any suggestions?? Thanks! greetings Roy netherlands

2 Answers Jul 23, 2004 at 3:15 AM
    • koadam's Profile Photo

How to get to Longyearbyen?

by koadam Online Now Jan 12, 2004 at 11:45 AM

Hi, we are planning a travel to Norway this summer. We vould like to go to Spitzbergas/Svalbard. I searched the net for available flights or ferry routes, but i did not succeded. My question is: can someone tell where can I find an acceptable (cheap) way of getting to Svalbard? (We are 2 young hungarians, flying with SAS for 10.000 NOK is not so good)... The very best thing would be to go there by a ferry. Or is it reserved just for millionaires....? Thanks in advance for any information. Koadam

7 Answers Jan 26, 2006 at 6:24 AM
    • thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

Flights

by thelittlevoice Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 5:58 AM

to those who have been there. i wonder how much the flight costed you(no matter where you flew from)? thanks!

2 Answers May 18, 2004 at 4:27 AM
    • Longyearbyen pop.

by VeresTamas Online Now Oct 26, 2002 at 2:15 AM

How large is Longyearbyen ?

2 Answers Nov 8, 2002 at 1:20 PM