Longyearbyen Travel Answers

change location
gillymacc's Profile Photo

mobility impaired and getting around

by gillymacc Online Now May 22, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Can you get from where the cruise ships let you off to the centre of Longyearbyen by bus or taxi? Its too far for me to walk, although I can walk around the town perfectly well (Provided I have the odd stop for coffee!)

And equally important, can we get a taxi/bus back???

We will be there 23rd June this year.

Thanks for any help and hints.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: mobility impaired and getting around

by pinkmonkey Online Now Jun 6, 2011 at 6:29 AM

I am going in July and have been trying to suss the place out. As far as i Can tell Longyearbyen is tiny. I dont think you will be going that far, that you need to worry at all. There are taxis available at the airport i have read, so i dont see why there wouldnt be ones around the place. I can't tell where the harbour is, but i read somewhere that its at the centre of longyearbyen which would be handy!

"Today, the community offers a wide range of activities and facilities, including a swimming hall, a climbing wall, a big sports hall, a grocery store, four pubs, seven hotels, one church (Svalbard Church), several tourist shops, a cinema, one night club, and a squash court. There is also the University Centre in Svalbard, which represents four Norwegian universities and provides university-level education in Arctic studie". Wikipedia...of course

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: mobility impaired and getting around

by globetrott Online Now Aug 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM

you will Need to walk about 20-30 minutes in order to get to town on a dusty road with some trafic of heavy mining-trucks maybe.
    I dont remember any Taxis in Port, but maybe that is different nowadays !

1 member found this helpful

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: mobility impaired and getting around

by globetrott Online Now Aug 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

and as your post was from 2011:
    maybe you have done your cruise already and can tell us here now, how it was ??
    may last time in Longyearbyen was lots of year ago ...

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines