Longyearbyen Travel Answers

change location
knilaus's Profile Photo

Tips wanted regarding Longyearbyen -> Barentsburg hike

by knilaus Online Now Dec 14, 2004 at 12:58 PM

I will be going to Svalbard for the second time from August 21st - 30th 2005. With this being my second trip I am considering somewhat more ambitious endeavours such as going hiking without the assistance of a guide. I am currently looking for advice and people, who might like to join me for a relatively undemanding outing of maybe four days' duration starting out from Longyearbyen. One trip I'm considering would be to go from Longyearbyen to Barentsburg and return by boat. I have the maps from NPI, GPS and am a subscriber to Svalbardposten. I am skilled with a hunting rifle. I have most of the major equipment that I think I would need (i.e. wind-proof tunnel tent, -10C sleeping bag, good 75L backpak, decent footwear, warm clothing), which has been proven already under arctic conditions. I know about most of the safety precautions regarding wildlife and glaciers. I would be interested in a hiking trail that could be traversed in about four days under good conditions and not requiring any glacial walking or climbing with good possibilities for setting up a tent and a low chance of polar bear encounters. Can anyone in here recommend a particular route? It seems to me the best option would be to walk past Hotelnesset into the Björndalen, walking west at Grumantbreen through the Grumantdalen, then once at Grumantbyen head southwest along the Rusanovodden (I've heard there is a disused railway along this trail) to Colesbukta crossing the Coleselva and then just generally following the coastline to Heerodden from where Barentsburg should be easily within reach? Is this the best route to take bearing in mind my preferences and limitations listed in the above? Are there any special issues to keep in mind? Specifically: 1) How easy is it to cross over the southern mountain ridge of Grönberget (at Grumantbreen) 2) Is it possible to hike along the shore from Grumantbyen to Colesbukta in late August? 3) Where is the suggested point of crossing the Coleselva and is there a recommendable technique for doing so?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • 928bente's Profile Photo

Re: Tips wanted regarding Longyearbyen -> Barentsburg hike

by 928bente Online Now Dec 25, 2004 at 9:23 AM

Hei! Ser du kommer fra København, så jeg skriver på norsk - håper det går greit. Vil anbefale deg og ta kontakt med Svalbard Wildlife. Det er turoperatør på Svalbard som arrangerer de fleste turer - og de kan sikkert hjelpe det med å finne de beste rutene å ta. Sjekk innom siden min, der finner du link til SW. God tur, og god jul Hilsen Bente

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines