Longford Travel Answers

change location

New Name

by pcelaur Online Now Nov 10, 2004 at 4:26 PM

I've been told that my family (Lally) comes from a town callled "Three Jolly Pigeons" in County Longford. The name has since been changed. I would be very interested if some one has the new name. Quite by coincidence, I ran into a patient who said yes they know of the town and it is right near Roscommon (where my informant was from). However I was not able to write down the information right then and there (HPPA laws prevent me from contacting this person).

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • donalh's Profile Photo

Re: New Name

by donalh Online Now Nov 11, 2004 at 4:38 AM

Interesting one...... I always thought the "Three Jolly Pigeons" was a pub, but very often in Ireland a pub might give it's name to a townland (not necessarily a Town !!) Anyway I first came across it in a song and was interested and then later came across a restaurant near Glasson near Athlone called the "Three Jolly Pigeons". The words of the song are below Where the Three Counties Meet Oh how lovely to be on the shores of Lough Ree, On a beautiful midsummer morning Looking over the lake as the bright waters break By the hills of the County Roscommon I went from my home in the town of Athlone On my way to the Three Jolly Pigeons It was near Glasson town, on the road I sat down, And looked over the beautiful Shannon - CHORUS: Lough Ree, oh Lough Ree, where the three counties meet Longford, Westmeath and Roscommon: As I stroll 'round her banks by the heather and peat They're the mem'ries I've never forgotten Oh, sad was the day when I went far away To work among timbers and concrete I must name me a man, for to follow life's span, I forsook the dear place of my homeland If God grants me grace, I'll return to the place, When the sunset of life has come o'er me Once again on these shores like a bird my heart soars As I gaze on the beauty around me [CHORUS]

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Buckz's Profile Photo

Re: Re: New Name

by Buckz Online Now Nov 16, 2004 at 7:25 AM

The villages near The three Jolly Pidgeons Pub are Glasson, Tang and Ballymahon. The nearby townlands are Lissoy and Coosan. I'm not aware of any village being renamed (not common in Ireland) but a townland could be renamed, or a different name used for post. If you are having difficulty finding information on this- search under Oliver Goldsmith (Deserted Village/She stooped to Conquer etc) as he wrote about the 3 jolly pidgeons. Your reference to Roscommon throws me a bit- Roscommon County is the far side of the (large!) lough Ree (as mentioned in the song above) Roscommon town is a long way away (irish standards!) with a lake in the way.

• RE: New Name

by muireannmcc Online Now Jun 21, 2005 at 6:08 AM

My family is from Tang and are the owners of the Three Jolly Pigeons. If you get the phone number for the pub and ask for Seamus, the landlord, he will be able to give you info on your family....he grew up in tang and i am sure that he would know ur family. Good luck!

• RE: RE: New Name

by BobConlon Online Now Jan 4, 2007 at 12:57 PM

I was told by my father that his cousin William Conlon was married to the sister of the owner. Is that true? I would love to hear more about that family and the tang Parish area familiies. Bob

• RE: RE: New Name

by BobConlon Online Now Jan 4, 2007 at 12:58 PM

I was told by my father that his cousin William Conlon was married to the sister of the owner. Is that true? I would love to hear more about that family and the tang Parish area familiies. Bob

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Longford