Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• LIRR Strike impact

by WJLEITOLD Online Now Jul 16, 2014 at 2:46 PM

LIRR Strike impact on going to bay shore from NYC

5 Answers Jul 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    • Train Travel on Monday

by Ruckerly Online Now Apr 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Is there a morning train from Manhattan to Long Island on Mondays? I've tried the LIRR site, but can't find a definitive answer. Thanks!

3 Answers Apr 4, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    • kdacayo's Profile Photo

Traffic on LIE

by kdacayo Online Now Nov 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM

How's the traffic like going towards Long Island on the LIE from Manhattan on weekdays, say roughly 7am? Thanks so much!

4 Answers Nov 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    • Travel to JFK on Yom kippur

by suze1018 Online Now Sep 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM

We are flying to Prague out of JFK on Friday, Sept 13 which is also Yom Kippur. Our flight is at 8:00 pm.
      How much time should we allow to get to the airport from manhattan. I guess we should be there at 6ish.

7 Answers Sep 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    • 25+, Where?

by liny_516 Online Now Jan 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

What bar/club do people go to that are 25+ on Friday Nights?
      Im in Nassau county , Long Island

2 Answers Jul 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM
    • belmont race track

by buddog Online Now May 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I will be staying in the area of the Newark Airport. How do I get by train to Belmont race track and how do I find a schedule?

1 Answer May 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    • Hamptons/long Island

by marylizzy Online Now Feb 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM

My wife & I(in our sixties)are planning our annual trip to NY for shops & show.For a 2/3 day side trip we're wondering what above is like early March & any suggestions where to stay etc. prefer not to have to drive if possible.As coming from Ireland will be flying into JFK.
      VT has always come up trumps for us .
      Marylizzy.

3 Answers Feb 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    • Penn Station to long island city

by redstonejenn Online Now Jul 25, 2011 at 7:06 AM

What are the travel options to get from Penn Station to long island city?

4 Answers Jul 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    • Weekend Trip To Greenport, LI

by telitus Online Now Jul 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Hello everyone,
      I'm planning on a weekend trip to Greenport, Lond Island.
      I wanted to know if there's any good Antique store/market or winery near by or along the way to visit. Also, any suggestions of interested places to visit or things to do in and around Greenport.

Thanks

1 Answer Jul 5, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    • driving to long island from Northern Va

by raktraveler Online Now Mar 24, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Does any know the best route to take to get to Long Island City from Norther Virginia, particularly the best route from the NJ Turnpike. I will be leaving Virginia at 10am on 3/25 which, according to google maps, is a 5 hr drive. Thanks.

2 Answers Mar 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    • Reasonable Car Rental from LaGuardia to Smithtown, NY

by luckymom58 Online Now Jun 20, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Does anyone know of any reasonable car rental places between LaGuardia and Smithtown, LI/Expressway exit 111 ? We are flying into LaGuardia on Friday,
      July 3rd and return to LaGuardia Sunday, July 12th. Usually it's around500 for a week give or take but they want1,000 even w/ my entertainment coupon!

Trying to avoid having family drive us into the Airport. If we could get a location close to LaGuardia, we could take a taxi or car service -- but most of the car rental places aren't open on Sundays.

Does the Train go out from LaGuardia to Long Island?

4 Answers Jun 20, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    • Where to stay?

by Wolverine_13 Online Now Aug 12, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Hi, I'm picking up my gf from the JFK airport at around 8pm in fall/winter...just wondering if there's any place in the 'rural' part of Long Island that's driveable, so we can spend the night (maybe a B&B for example), just looking for the name of a nice town.

Thanks
      Rob

5 Answers Aug 23, 2008 at 1:43 PM
    • annetaylor7's Profile Photo

Center Moriches place to stay

by annetaylor7 Online Now May 29, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Need a bed-and-breakfast, hostel or hotel (last resort) for the July 19th weekend in Center Moriches, Long Island area. 2-3 adults, 3 children. Have experience with European-type hostels and rest houses. Would prefer something other than a chain hotel or motel but if nothing else exists, please tell me about whatever type accomodation is available in the area. Finances can handle rates at mid-range or below. Thanks in advance.

1 Answer May 29, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    • calcaf38's Profile Photo

Go through Manhattan or not?

by calcaf38 Online Now Sep 23, 2007 at 1:01 PM

I am going to a family reunion in Greenlawn L.I. near Huntington Station, next weekend. I've never been to Long Island.

I'll be driving from Pennsylvania, and reaching the NYC area mid-day on a Saturday

Yahoo Maps advises me to go through the Holland Tunnel, go on to Brooklyn, and then on the L.I. Expressway.

Is this a good scenario? My first instinct was to stay South, away from Manhattan, cross at the Verazzano bridge, and much later find some way North.

It all looks like a harrowing drive. How much time should I allot from myself from, say, Newark (which takes me three hours to get to from PA)?

Thank you for your contribution.

11 Answers Sep 30, 2007 at 10:33 PM
    • Lucy-'s Profile Photo

Somewhere mid range to stay with dogs

by Lucy- Online Now Sep 2, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

We are wanting to take a long weekend trip to Long Island with our two dogs. Can anyone recommend anywhere to stay that allows dogs and is close to the beach - and preferably close to bars that allow dogs.

Thanks
      Lucy

2 Answers Sep 3, 2007 at 8:23 AM
    • Need help getting around NYC to get to Upton

by cmacmuj Online Now Jul 26, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Good Afternoon,
      I'm driving from Philadelphia to Upton for an 11:00am meeting Monday morning and trying to decide if I can drive through or around New York City and get out to Upton by leaving early Monday morning or if I should play it safe and drive Sunday night. Can someone advise me on the best time or route to get around NYC and make it to Upton? Thanks!

1 Answer Jul 26, 2007 at 7:00 PM
    • Long Island (Suffolk - North) Motel Question

by roothy123 Online Now Jul 8, 2006 at 11:18 AM

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap motel or hotel sround the Huntington,Woodbury,Commack area of Suffolk County. I don't mind a dive! I know NY is NY, but is there a little mom and pop motel anywhere around there that would be affordable? Thx.

1 Answer Jul 10, 2006 at 5:34 AM
    • JFK - Long Island by public transport

by saralikesart Online Now Mar 17, 2006 at 3:18 AM

Advice needed - our Manhattan home exchange is going ahead (hooray), but our best price flight arrives at 1.30pm on August 30th - two days before we can move in. We like the idea of visiting and relaxing somewhere that's not Manhattan directly from JFK (on public transport). It can't be the Bridgehampton area, because there's a huge horsey event taking place on the dates we'd be there. Montauk, Amagansett and around sound lovely - but we don't want to spend loads on accommodation - it would cancel out the good value flights. We also don't want to lug luggage more than we have to either from the airplane or back to Manhattan on the Friday afternoon. Are there any reasonably priced lodgings, near the train stations (or bus stops), for two nights at the end of August? Should we go to Brooklyn instead?

1 Answer Mar 17, 2006 at 2:06 PM
    • karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Questions about driving around Long Island

by karenincalifornia Online Now Jan 22, 2006 at 1:31 PM

I will be taking a car to Long Island. Do I need to make reservations on the Bridgeport/Port Jefferson ferry if I am going against traffic (TO Long Island 9:00 am - FROM Long Island 3:00 pm)

How long does it take to get from Port Jefferson to Montauk at 10:30 am on a weekday?

If I decide I don't want to drive all the way out to Montauk, are there equally charming towns along the way?

Thanks for your help!

Karen

2 Answers May 14, 2007 at 5:32 AM
    • bettyo70's Profile Photo

HELP! Question about the best part of FIRE ISLAND for a daytrip from NYC?

by bettyo70 Online Now Jun 24, 2005 at 6:54 AM

Hi Everybody,

I am interested in coming in for a long daytrip from Manhattan to Fire Island. Could you give me advice on the following:

1) Which is the best part of FIRE ISLAND for a DAYTRIP if I enjoy a lot of SHADE? (Don't like to just to sit and bake in the sun! Trees are great!)

2) Is it true that it is hard to find public restrooms on Fire Island?

3) Where are the best NATURE WALKS?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

--Betty

2 Answers Jun 25, 2005 at 6:05 AM
    • Smitron's Profile Photo

Fire Island for a weekend?

by Smitron Online Now Mar 21, 2004 at 12:53 PM

Any advice on visiting Fire Island for just a weekend? Where to stay? Something cozy for two... I've got a single weekend to spare and I want to go to the ocean. I'd like it to be kind of romantic but not manufactured i.e. no resorts. Any suggestions?

1 Answer Feb 23, 2005 at 2:39 PM