Long Beach Travel Answers

change location

Queen Mary

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Hi everyone
We are staying for two or three days on the Queen Mary as a speciel treat. We will have a rental car but would like to know can you get into Hollywood area and Warner Brothers studio from there by public transport...easily that is not lots of changes. Dont realy want to take the car into LA itself. Would also like to visit Disney World but think that may be a car day.
Is it a nice area to stay anyway, we will have just driven along the highway from sanfram.
Thankyou

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Queen Mary

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Hi and welcome to VT. I hope you're not disappointed with your stay. Although the Queen Mary is interesting to visit, it's in the docks area and last time I was through there, there wasn't much. Perhaps it's changed as I've not driven down to the docks in a while. The ship itself is quite interesting to explore.

The trip into LA (Hollywood, Warner Brothers, Universal) from Long Beach is easiest by car. Traffic can be quite bad depending on the day of the week and time of day. Mornings and afternoons are the worst. LA is not exactly known for it's "great" public transportation and getting to venues like Warner Brothers would require quite some navigation from Long Beach.

A quick look at http://www.metro.net/ indicated the trip by bus will be 2-3 hours. By car it would be 45+ minutes depending on traffic.

I think you may mean Disneyland, not Disney World which is in Orland FL. Disneyland is about 30 miles from Long Beach. I'd use the 405 (S) to Harbor (N) to get there.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DueSer's Profile Photo

by DueSer Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

There is A LOT to see around the Queen Mary nowadays. They have rebuilt the Pike with lots of restaurants and activities. There's also the Aquarium of the Pacific, which is excellent, esp if you have children. Along Ocean Blvd is quite a bit to see as well - shopping, restaurants, the LB Art Museum, as well as Belmont Shore, which has some terrific little shops and restaurants.

In order to get to Hollywood and Warner Bros. studios without a car, you're really going to have to challenge yourself. The best option would be to take the Blue Line up to the Metro Center where you can catch the Red Line. That will take you to Hollywood and as far north as North Hollywood (and Universal Studios). As for Warner Bros. studios, that's going to be behind Universal (northeast of it) so you would most likely have to catch a bus from Universal City. I'm not well versed on the bus system in LA. It's best to check with the system's website www.metro.net and there is a "trip planner" section where you can put in Long Beach as your starting destination and Warner Bros Studios as your ending destination and it will show you how to get there with a mix of subway and bus rides.

If you're reluctant to take the car into LA because of the traffic and driving on freeways, I understand but if it's just because you don't want to spend 2 whole days in the car, then I would reconsider. It'll be a lot easier to just drive up to Burbank.

As for Disneyland, that's much simpler. Right by the Queen Mary is the 710 Freeway. Take that north to the 405 south and get off the 405 on Harbor Blvd. It won't take long to get there. Your only other option would be a Disney bus. I know they have them from the train station and LAX but I'm not sure about other places. Something to check into. Since you're staying on the ship, which is such a tourist attraction, there may be a stop there for the Disney bus. I'm sure the concierge at the QM can help you figure out that part of your trip.

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM

You will love the Queen Mary. We have stayed there twice and you can spend an entire day in/around the ship. Book the tour of the ship as you will see areas not normally available to the public. You can also take the ferry out to Catalina Island for the day from right there by the QM. You need to book four days in advance to make sure you have a spot otherwise walk up and take you chance.

While LA traffic can be a pain, just avoiding the commute hours will make a huge difference. The time you save by driving will be well worth the time spent on public transport.

Get a good map and take major surface streets if you want to avoid the freeway. Don't head out until after 9:00 AM and head back by 3:00 PM or better stay and enjoy dinner or something and head back after 7:00. There can always be traffic issues, but I have found using those hours it's not all that bad.

• tumbytraveller's Profile Photo

by tumbytraveller Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Stayed on Queen Mary many moons ago but back then they had bus tours you could book to do a day trip to Disneyland or Warner studios etc. Just jump on the bus direct to destination then back on the bus to Queen Mary at their designated return time. Hopefully these bus trips might still be available from the Queen Mary itself.

ps Disneyworld is in Florida so that would be a long trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• THANK YOU TO EVERYONE

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Thanks to everyone forb taking the time to answer looks like the queen is worth a visit but have to be brave and use the car. True Disney World would be a long way!!
    Thanks

• Re: Queen Mary

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Thank you

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Driving around the Long Beach area is quite easy if you study the map beforehand. I've been traveling to that area for many years as my brother works in LB and lives not that far away. Disneyland is not far at all and you can get there by skipping the Freeway and driving straight down on Katella Ave. There's a lovely area named Seal Beach which is right up the road down the Pacific Coast Highway - lots of nice restaurants and shops plus the beach.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines