Long Beach Travel Answers

change location
atufft's Profile Photo

Need Hotel Stay Near Catalina Ferry Port

by atufft Online Now Mar 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I've been studying the possibility of staying at the Queen Mary, but since we have our dog with us, the extra75- fee seems a bit much for place that seems like a run-down tourist trap. But, then the pet friendly Motel 6 seems to offer nothing in terms of experience, even for one night stay.

All we want is a decent one night experience in the hours before getting on the ferry to Catalina Island. So, it seems that we could do better to stay somewhere else within the LA basin, within reasonable distance of the Catalina Port. We will drive from Northern California, so getting to the last ferry departing on Sunday--5:45PM--also seems difficult.

So, does anyone have a unique, and not overly expensive LA hotel recommendation, a place where we can get out on the street to walk the dog without getting run over, and get non-corporate style food to eat? I know, this seems like I'm asking too much from LA, or am I?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • roberta2011's Profile Photo

Re: Need Hotel Stay Near Catalina Ferry Port

by roberta2011 Online Now Mar 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Hi! I have never personally stayed in Long Beach as I have family living nearby in Orange County, but I just sent this article to my cousin from the NY Times about LB as it highlighted some really cool things to do and also a couple of hotels: travel.nytimes.com/2012/03/1...

I think it could be a lot of help. You could also stay up in LA in Santa Monica which is a great city with a definite downtown that would allow for walking about and eating -- probably even outdoors with the dog. But you are farther away from your ferry and in LA, you would have to be getting on the 405 or PCH to reach it which can potentially be a traffic nightmare. It might just be better to stay close by and walk around/sight see.

There is a great flea market in LB as well if the date coincides with your visit - better than the Rose Bowl: http://www.longbeachantiquemarket.com/

Have fun and good luck!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lisa85202's Profile Photo

Re: Need Hotel Stay Near Catalina Ferry Port

by lisa85202 Online Now Mar 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM

We stayed at a Rodeway Inn in Long Beach one night prior to a cruise out of the Long Beach Port. It was within a short driving distance to the Queen Mary and the Aquarium. The price was very reasonable for a spacious room. This was back in 2005. I wouldn't say this is a place for an 'experience', but the price and location might be good for you traveling with a pet.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines