Long Beach Travel Answers

change location

Driving into Long Beach

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Hi We are doing the drive from San Fran to Vegasin Late July. My question is I realy want to stay on the Queen Mary but on close inspection of the map dont like what I see with the roads in LA. We are coming in from Santa Barbara hoping to call in on Santa Monica and Malibu (might even stay one night if people recomend) BUT what is the driving like for a Brit not used to the traffic, is it easy (ish) to get to the Mary at Long Beach. Dont want to have a panic attack!! It looks like an easyish 405 but when blow up the map theres a lot of spaghetti like roads. Advice please, Thank you

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Driving into Long Beach

by cgf Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 3:35 AM

it's easier do it than tell it, from Santa Monica just go ahead on CA-1, after passing LAX airport, to Manathan Beach, Redondo, at Lomita 213 to San Pedro, Long beach and you avoid 405 and 110

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

Re: Driving into Long Beach

by zuriga Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Motorway driving in the States is fairly easy for someone used to driving in the UK (my husband is British and does fine). Just remember that the passing lane is not the one you're used to. Most exits will be from the right instead of the left.

The Pacific Coast Highway is a great way to get down after Santa Monica, and it's very picturesque. Be careful where you stay in Long Beach if that's one of your stops overnight. Not all of that town is very nice but near the water and the marina is great.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Driving into Long Beach

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM

thanks, Ive looked on the map as long as I dont miss a turnoff that looks a good route.Thank you for taking time to answer.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Thank you zuriga we are staying (hopefully) on the queen mary for the experience then off the next day. Hopefully using cgf's directions should be fine. Thank you for advice.

by teresaandterry Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Thank you zuriga we are staying (hopefully) on the queen mary for the experience then off the next day. Hopefully using cgf's directions should be fine. Thank you for advice.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines