London Travel Answers

change location
FridgeMagnet's Profile Photo

Postal Cost

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Not a travel question as such but related to travel.

Could anyone tell me how much it would cost to post a passport from London to the Republic of Ireland. I want to send a stamped addressed envelope to the Burmese Embassy. Applying for a visa. I have 2 £1 British stamps. Would this be enough?

Quote & Answer
44 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Postal Cost

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Here's the Post Office pdf of postal rates within and outside the UK:

royalmail.com/sites/default/...

Or you can download it here:

http://www.royalmail.com/prices-2012

All depends on how much your envelope weighs. I think you should take it to be weighed a Post Office to be sure. Putting too much on (i.e. £2 stamps when it only costs £1.81) is ok.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • FridgeMagnet's Profile Photo

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Actually someone in Northern Ireland got it weighed in a British post office up there and then sent me the UK stamps. I am just worried because £2 dosen't seem like very much and my the visa and my passport are rather important to me. :-)

I suppose it's OK.

Thanks Leics.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I agree. I would never send a passport by ordinary mail. I'd use 'recorded signed for':

postoffice.co.uk/recorded-si...

or, if it's essential that you get speedy delivery about which you are 100% certain, 'special delivery':

postoffice.co.uk/special-del...

Both will cost you more than £2 though.

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I had intended sending it by registered post Benny. Getting it back is another thing though. I'm in a different country so I don't really think there is a way of registering the return. I doubt if the Embassy would do it for me.

Thanks Benny.

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Thanks Leics,

I sent my passport to embassies before. They were in Dublin though. It arrived back safely even in an ordinary envelope. Although I have to admit I spent weeks worrying while I was waiting!

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

There's an embassy in London but I am in Ireland! There's no Burmese embassy in Ireland!

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I am aware of that! :-)

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

by taurean_traveller Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I am sure the poster is not in Northern Ireland.The way I read it he wants to send from London to ROI

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I know John (Fridgemagnet) lives in the Republic and he is clutching UK stamps sent from a friend in N Ireland who worked out the potential cost. I think that's right?

So, as far as I can see, the only option is to use the £2 stamps and keep all bits crossed for safe arrival of passport-with-visa.

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

That is correct Raymond. I am in Waterford in the Republic of Ireland. I intend to sent my passport to the Myanma London Embassy by recorded post and include a stamped addressed envelope so they can sent it back to me.

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM

That's correct Leics. And that seems to be the only way!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM

you should look for secure envelope, do not know what is call there but here in France when I need to renew my US passport i use a chronopost envelope that has a tracking number and delivery guarantee.

do not send passport with regular post with just a stamp for weight on them. Just an advise.
    cheers

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM

The problem is that John lives in the Republic of Ireland, and the passport and visa must be returned from the UK by the Myanmar Embassy.

There are of course ways of sending envelopes securely from the UK. But John cannot do that for a stamped addressed envelope which will be sent by the Myanmar embassy back to his address.

I can't see any way round this, I'm afraid. The main thing to be 100% certain about is that £2 will definitely be enough for the US >ROI postage (you might consider using a padded envelope, if allowed, which will at least make the contents a little less obvious?). Then cross all relevant bits...

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Thank you for explaining that to people Leics.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I can see the problem here.

Just as a suggestion, would it be possible to use your Northern Ireland friends address. That would be in UK and so recordable woth the Post Office. Yes, it will give you the hassle of having to meet somewhere or whatever or alternatively (s)he could probably courier it to you in Waterford. Time consuming certainly but feasible. I believe the courier companies have schemes for "registering" important deliveries. I do hope you get it sorted, Burma is such a wonderful country.

another idea springs to mind. Were you intending to go straight to Burma? If you have a few days in Bangkok, which is the normal jumping off point, you can get one in the Burmese Embassy there. If memory serves it used to be three days but check that.

Just a couple of suggestions and I hope they assist,

fergy.

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I'm not sure how that would work Fergy. It would still only be recorded going to the embassy right? The embassy wouldn't record it when sending it back?

I am actually going via Bangkok and had intended spending a couple of days there on my way home. Would really prefer to have my visa in advance though.

by planxty Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

No, I probably didn't explain it well. I mean use your friend as a "middleman". Get your ppt and application to him / her some way, use their NI address to post to London and have it returned there and then forwarded to you by whatever means in Waterford.

Sorry if I was not making much sense, situation normal.

It will be time consuming but other than a personal visit to London (I know you have to leave your ppt for three days there, I have done it) I can see no other way round.

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I can send it registered (or recorded) post from here to Britain though. The Irish post office does international registered post. It is only the return that is a worry.

by planxty Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

The problem you have is that if you use your genuine ROI address I do not know what provisions the Burmese Embassy have for returning outside the UK. I have not looked at their website recently, do they have any mention of it there?

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Their website is not working! It was a few months but it seems to be offline for a while now. I read people discussing it on another site.

by planxty Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Sounds about right. I really am at a loss to think of anything else to suggest except swallow a few days in BKK before you go and, let's be honest, that is no hardship. he only other alternative seems a personal trip to London. Sorry mate, I really am trying to think my way round this but I am out of ideas now.

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I think you can get a visa in one day in Bangkok if you pay extra. Seemingly they want a good reason though as well though.

by planxty Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Well, I would think that the good reason is that you explain you do not now live in UK, therefore cannot get to London for a personal application. Explain that you would have gone to the embassy in Dublin if they had had one. Do the normal SE Asia thing, be very polite, don't raise your voice, be very patient and never, ever lose your temper. That is seen as bad form. Honestly, if you decide to go that way, I do not see a problem. If you explain, as you have done here, what your problems are, you should be OK, I would think.

Don't forget, Burma is changing rapidly and they are keen to encourage tourism (well, they always were but people were wary about coming there) and I don't see them giving you a hard time about it.

I am sorry my info is so out of date and I hope that some members in the region currently will be able to give you some further info on it. Really, it is worth persevering with. Burma remains one of my favourite places ever, you will love it.

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I will think about it some more! Thanks all for your help.

by planxty Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM

No problem. I really do hope it pans out for you, it is well worth the effort.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I recommend that you have it sent by registered mail. You will need to obtain a special envelope from the post office, plus pay a fee. I wouldn't think that £2 is nearly enough. I did a dummy run through on the post office price finder, using the minimum weight and 5-10 day delivery and it came to £9 plus. Not sure if that was for registered mail or "just" recorded delivery. Thing is, Ireland is international, not UK so the rates go up somewhat drastically. Still, it is much better to be safe than sorry!

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Thanks hawkhead,

I am going to send it by registered mail. The embassy won't send it back that way though. That is where the stamped addressed envelope and the £2 come in!

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Hmmmmm, when I enter a 100gm letter, with a value of £50, for delivery within 10 days (the next is 30 days and still costs the same) the cost is £7.36. If the package goes astray, you can apply for £50 of compensation. I honestly would not have it sent for a value less than that.

For a value of less than £50, the charge for the same weight and delivery would be £2.21.

Of course, I have no idea of the weight of the passport, etc.

Wonder why they won't do the registered or recorded delivery route. Sloth, I suspect - easier to plop in a mail box than take it to the post office. All the visas I have applied for require (not request) that I send postage and appropriate envelope for at least recorded delivery.

All the best!

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Actually I just found this information online.

http://www.myanmarvisa.com/london.htm

The embassy will do recorded return. Maybe I will drive up to Northern Ireland and do the whole thing through a British post office. Kind of expensive but safer for my passport.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 5:13 AM

no problems from whatever, when I do mine, i use a chronopost envelope to send and include a second chronopost envelope for the passport service to send it back to me.
    I have done that for four passports I am citizen of,and never a problem lol!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines