London Travel Answers

change location
Dabs's Profile Photo

Travelodges

by Dabs Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I'm going to be in London in early June and I've tenatively booked a Premier Inn near Tower Hill and another near Earl's Court for the two separate parts of the stay. I had wanted to stay at the Ibis in Whitechapel again but the room configuration is such that there is no privacy for showering and I'm going with my niece so that's not going to work.

I happened upon someone recommending a travelodge in York so I had a look at the London ones and was wondering how they compare to Ibis and Premier Inn which I've stayed in a lot in different places. I'm guessing that travelodge is closer to Ibis, no toiletries, no frills but as long as they are comfortable and clean I don't really need the extras. Is there any of the chain that someone has stayed at and would recommend? The prebooking price is ridiculously cheap for London

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • tango_jd's Profile Photo

Re: Travelodges

by tango_jd Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Travellodges are fine but very basic as you suspect. Nothing wrong with them if your intention is to use them for sleeping-in and don't require 3-star or 4-star facilities.
    I prefer Premier Inns to Travelodges - still quite basic but a nicer "feel".
    I stayed in the Travelodge at Battersea some years ago and it was perfectly OK. The problem here is that it is not near a train station and so is a bit further away from the main tourist spots. (1/2 mile from Clapham Junction station)
    Not sure of other locations.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I'm with John on this. There is not really a lot to choose between the "no-frills" options on offer in UK. I have stayed in Ibis, Premier Loidge, Travel Lodge, TravelInn etc. etc. I know you were happy enough with the Ibis Whitechapel and you will find the Premier's to be broadly similar. You will have no problems.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Having stayed in both, I much prefer Premier Inn. However, there is often quite a price difference and when it comes to that, Travelodge is absolutely fine. It's basic but does provide what I believe it called a hospitality tray (kettle, tea coffee), towels, soap but no shampoo, etc. A lot of the Travelodges have had complete makeovers or are new ones. We stay in the one in Waterloo in London - the location is excellent, near Waterloo Station, just around the corner from The Cut, on a big wide well-lit street, with super bus and tube connections. Plus it is a new one! Also the one in Greenwich but that is more out of the way unless the thrust of one's visit is in the area. The Travelodge at Marylebone is older but still absolutely fine, with good transport connections. Imho, Ibis and Premier Inn do not compare - Premier Inn is far better. There's nothing particularly wrong with Ibis but for some reason I would put it number three on my list, after PI and T. PI has incredibly comfortable beds!!

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My sister, used to the US Travel Lodges and believing those in the UK would be similar was rather shocked by some of the ones she stayed in on a recent UK trip. The only one she said she would consider again, mainly because of its position, was the one in the old London County Council building.
    After two appalling experiences (out of London) I decided I would never set foot in one again.
    Another vote for Premier Inn - it's very much better.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, I may just keep the Premier Inns then, I have stayed at the one in Earl's Court and it was a step up from the Ibis. The Ibis in Whitechapel was a decent place to stay, it was new when I stayed there last summer, but I don't like the shower being inside the bedroom instead of being inside the bathroom. I guess they did that to save space? But they should have created an actual enclosed bathroom for twin rooms.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

That's certainly an odd arrangement. I suspect there were issues with e.g. plumbing which made it easier.

Yes, Travelodges are basic but (in my experience, though I haven't used them in London) perfectly ok. If I had to use a chain hotel (I rarely do) I too would prefer a Premier Inn. It is a step up from Travelodges.

I certainly wouldn't pay any extra for a Travelodge breakfast. Much better (and cheaper) to have breakfast in a nearby cafe.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Hawkhead, comfortable beds are becoming more important as I age ;-) The Ibis beds are usually pretty thin and I don't want my niece to think I'm a total cheapo ha ha I may still have a look at Waterloo though, maybe for the two nights on the end we can rough it...

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Word has it that the suppliers of mattresses to Premier Inn are the same as those who supply mattress to all the Royal households! Whatever, I can thoroughly recommend the comfort!

In fairness to Travelodges, Ranger, in the last two years they have embarked on a programme of total refurbishment and upgrading.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Agree about Premier Inn beds. Was very impressed indeed by my Belfast room & bed...and the breakfast was good too.

• GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Personally I hate Travelodge. The only good thing to be said is that you know what you're getting and the standard of hotels in London is often so low that Travelodge is a reasonable standard of size and plumbing etc.
    I have never forgiven them for ruining the Ryan, or the spam e-mails!

Premier Inn (Whitbread Brewery who also own Costa) are a bit better, but also have the meal deal which, because of the parent company, is a great bargain. The breakfast is good and the evening meal and free drink of a surprisingly good standard.

• SallyM's Profile Photo

by SallyM Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

All three are OK if you just want a bed and shower. I would put Premier Inn and Ibis above then Travelodge, but it probably depends on the age of the hotel.

I have stayed in the Marylebone Travelodge several times, and the twin or double rooms are fine, but the single room was really very small. Certainly don't pay for the breakfast in a Travelodge.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM

We stayed at Travelodge where-ever we could in England, mainly because of the price. [our exchange rate is bad]
    We found them basic, clean, quiet and all had free parking which is what we wanted. We got some very good deals by booking early. As a budget traveller, I was happy with what I got for the price.

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Just as a quick off-topic - Whitbread plc own brands Premier Inn, Costa Coffee, Table Table, Beefeater Estate, Brewers Fayre and Tay Barns. The breweries and brewing interests were sold in 2001 and the pub estate was sold in 2002. The name is still retained for some items but that is the only thing related to Whitbread plc. Safe to say that the Whitbread of today has nothing at all to do with beers or brewing or breweries.

Although I haven't eaten at Premier Inn, I was pleasantly surprised, on reading the menu, to see the variety and the relatively reasonable price for meals. Breakfast is still too expensive but they do have several options.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I'll have to take a look at breakfast if we stay there, I never eat breakfast at a hotel unless it's included. We usually forage at a supermarket or on the rare occasion go have a full English breakfast at a local place.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My PI stay included breakfast and what was provided was perfectly good. But I'd never pay for a hotel breakfast which wasn't included (I'd much rather go to a cafe), and wouldn't have paid for the PI breakfast if I'd had to do so. It wasn't so good that I considered it worth the extra £x if it wasn't included! :-)

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM

My recent experience of Premier Inn is that breakfast is no longer included in the hotel price.
    I have just received confirmation of a reservation at the Premier Inn in Portsmouth prior to an early morning ferry sailing
    Evening meals are provided in the Beefeater next door( not my idea of fine or healthy dining)
    Breakfast choices are "Grab and Go" - coffee and a croissant; Healthy/light £5.25; Full breakfast - "as much as you can eat" £8.25.
    We will not have any of those but will have a leisurely breakfast on the ferry.

• GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM

That's right, the breakfast is an add on extra - but compared to some of the ripoff prices that hotels charge it's under ten quid for a reasonably good buffet and they will do you veggie sausages as well. The meal deal, with the evening meal as well is the real bargain, and handy if you are arriving late in the day.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines