London Travel Answers

change location
drandy's Profile Photo

Baggage storage at Heathrow airport

by drandy Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Will be transiting in London with a layover of 12 hours.
will probably need to store baggage somewhere as I intend to spend the idle waiting time in London.
Can someone please tell me where is the location for baggage storage and the cost?
My forward journey is to Baltimore, MD in USA using British Airways, anyone knows in which terminal is the departure gate?
Had heard somewhere that if the onward journey is with BA, BA will store the luggage for free, is it true?
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

Re: Baggage storage at Heathrow airport

by taurean_traveller Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 6:54 AM

We did something similar just over a year ago and had 12 hour stopover at Heathrow. Our luggage was checked through to our final destination, so no worries about it, but we did not want to drag our carry on bags all over London, so we stored it for the day.

heathrowairport.com/heathrow...

While it was not particularly cheap, it sure was a lot easier than dragging our bags all over London. We took the tube to downtown London and spent the day wandering around the British Museum. A nice break before our long flight to southern Africa.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Your onward flight to Baltimore will leave from Heathrow's terminal 5.

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

by johnaalex Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM

2 points too consider -
    Is your flight to LHR with AA or another one world carrier? If so then the bags should be checked through.
    Which class id your flight o BA, if it is in First then you can check your bags anytime at Terminal 5. If not in First then it is still worth asking so try that before spending money on any left luggage service.

Also remember that if your "12 hours" is from touch down to take off it does not allow much time to do any sight seeing. Allow a minimum of 2 hours each way if you plan on going into central London.

by travelmad478 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM

> Allow a minimum of 2 hours each way if you plan on going into central London.

No. Heathrow Express takes about 20 minutes to Paddington. Including walking time inside the airport terminal and wait time at the station, it will be 30 minutes tops. It is not the cheapest way to get into town but it is not outrageous, and it is very convenient and fast.

I have done things like spending the day at Greenwich, going to several museums and eating lunch, on a 12-hour layover. It is a very healthy amount of time.

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

by johnaalex Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM

@travelmad478 - Maybe I was not clear I was talking total time from the plane arriving, getting through passport control, getting to the train station (Tube or HEX) and then getting from the staion to your chosen attraction(s). I am not saying it will always take that long but speaking as somebody who has lived all my life in West London between the airport and the centre I am very aware that our transport system is often disrupted. I have flown from LHR hundreds of times and have never missed a flight yet!

by travelmad478 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Even if it is 2 hours to get from your plane's landing time to reaching your destination (and I would argue that's about one hour too long, given that the OP won't have to wait for baggage), and even if you want to get back to the airport two hours before your flight, that still leaves you with a good 7-8 hours of sightseeing time. That's entirely worthwhile. I do this very thing regularly on my layovers at LHR en route to South Africa, when I have a whole day in between red-eyes.

• drandy's Profile Photo

by drandy Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Thanks! You guys are just brilliant!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines