London Travel Answers

change location
MontagS's Profile Photo

Bus/train from Gatwick to Luton airport

by MontagS Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Hi there guys!!I was looking up how to get from London Gatwick airport to Luton and the fastest way i found was with the nationall express from Gatwick to Victoria and then the easy bus.I have about 3hours and a half to catch my flight, you think i can make it?There is no direct way to go nonesoever?
Thanks in advance
Maria

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Re: Bus/train from Gatwick to Luton airport

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM

No personal experience here, but I do know that EasyJet closes its check-in desk 40 minutes prior to departure, 60 minutes if the flight is to the Middle East. Given how distant Gatwick and Luton (about 70 miles by road) are, you'll be cutting it very close at best.

A quick search indicates this might be a good place to continue your research:

gatwicktoluton.co.uk/index.h...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MontagS's Profile Photo

by MontagS Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Thanks so much1Actually i have about 4hrs and a half but i did calculate to arrive at least one hour ahead in Luton.I fly with Air Monarch not easy jet, is that a problem for getting the easy jet bus you think??

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

As I said, I don't have personal experience. You might want to look at National Express, which has direct bus connections between Gatwick and Luton. The quickest connection is about 2 hours 10 minutes. See nationalexpress.com/home.asp... for more information, or wait until someone else with personal experience answers.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I had experience of both airport from/to London but was decades ago.
    At the time I used trains from St. Pancras to Luton and from Victoria to Gatwick.
    you've short time, if me I would spend a little more money by train and avoid trafic jams. I don't think it's a bad idea taking the train from Gatwick to Victoria, surely faster than by road, cross London by Tube and then train to Luton, short walk and you'll be at airport.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

as wrote I did it decades ago, just discovered there's a single train that connects both, Gatwick and Luton, airports
    Check timetable if suitable for you here
    firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/pl...
    see (Brighton and) London to Bedford

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Maria, I live in London and have used both airports many times.

You do not have a chance, forget about it. Previous posters have mentioned the closing check-in desk 40 minutes before, but you have to factor in security. Passengers are advised to check in two hours before flight time and at Luton security can be very slow. Factor in the poetential traffic problems, always likeyl in the London area and it becomes a nightmare.

You might just make it but the chances are extremely slim. Rethink your plans.

Sorry to sound negative but these are the facts and I hope they assist.

fergy.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

there are chances she could manage
    I had a look at http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk and tried to buy a ticket.
    BTW surely it's better buy the ticket on line, sometime it may cost a little bit less and but the best advantage is to make no line at ticket office.
    I saw train stops at Luton Airport Parkway then there's a bus from there to airport .... probably I also took a bus at the time.. more than 20 years ago, I don't know why but I remembered a walk..
    Anyway the whole trip from Gatwick to Luton airport, with 6 minutes by bus, is between 1:30 till 2:00 it depends from time of departure
    and it costs 27.40/28.40 pounds

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Jan 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Trust me, on paper she could possibly just manage. In reality, it is very unlikely. As I say, I know both airports and the transport to and from them. Would you wan to stress yourself and take a chance?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM

It's not clear whether you calculated the 3 (or 4) and a half hours from landing time or from the time you expect to be through border control and baggage reclaim in Gatwick. If the former, you should allow at least an hour before you are landside and able to take onward transport.

Check in for Monarch closes 40 mins before departure. They also make it clear that you should be there at least 90 minutes before departure:

monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/ch...

They also make it clear that if you miss check-in Monarch will not take any responsibility for providing onward transport.

The chances of getting through security at Luton in less than 40 minutes is pretty slim at any time of day: last time I used the airport (I use it fairly regularly) it took an hour. Even if you pay an extra 3GBP for 'fast-track' security (there are machines) there is no guarantee you will actually be 'fast': when security is packed, lots of people grit their teeth and pay for fast-track.

I have never seen any airline staff in the security area trying to speed the passage of those stuck in the queue and am unsure whether Monarch would hold a flight if passengers were delayed in that way. Announcements for missing passengers are only made in the departure lounge, not the security area. Additionally, some gates at Luton involve a walk of 10-15 minutes from the departure lounge. I have written a warning tip about Luton security:

"Luton airport security can be slooooooow!" - Luton Warnings Or Dangers Tip by leics

Any land transport you use will use the M25 (notorious for traffic jams and congestion) and the M1 (also always busy or congested in the segment you will use). Even private transfers (i.e. private hire car) give a journey time of at least 1h 40m.

With regard to train, Luton Airport does not have a railway station. Luton Airport Parkway is some distance away and there is a shuttle bus (free to rail passengers) from there to the airport terminal. Journey time is 6-10 minutes or so, as long as the bus does not get caught in traffic congestion.

I agree with Planxty. 3 and a half hours is too tight, and you risk missing the Monarch flight.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 2:41 AM

First of all i suggest you use Easybus for both trips as they stopp at the same place in Earls Court and this will be better than arrivins at Victoria and figuring out how to get to Earls Court and find the drop off/on point.

Clearing customs and immigration at Gatwick-- up to 1 hour
    Waiting for bus 15 min
    bus to London (easybus) 1 hr 10 min
    waiting for connection 15 min
    bus to Luton 1 hr 10 min
    Check in---when does it close????
    Already 3 hrs and 50 minutes here and who knows what the traffic is like. I have caught the Easybus several times and traffic can delay the trip. I would not risk it!!! It is too close for comfort and with these cheap flight when you miss the plane they don't put you on the next one!!!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Monarch check-in/bag-drop closes 40 minutes before departure. Of course, if you use online check-in and have no hold baggage then you won't need to go to the check-in desk.

From my own experience, 40 minutes is not enough time to get through Luton security and from the departure lounge to the gate before it closes, unless you happen upon a time when security is not very busy and manage to whizz through in less than 30 minutes (I've never managed that, except when I paid for 'fast-track').

But if they is not very busy then the number of functional security lanes is reduced, which doesn't help.

• PhilTheBus's Profile Photo

by PhilTheBus Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Ignoring the issues of how much time you need to get through security, you seem to be getting a lot of confusing advice about the quickest form of pblic transport to get from Gatwick to Luton Airport.

Providing that you are travelling on a weekday it will almost certainly be by taking the Thameslink train which runs every 15 minutes with a journey time of about 80 minutes - see firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/st... . You then need to add another 15 minutes for the shuttle bus journey but no other form of land transport is likely to be able to get you there more quickly.

As you have said that you have about 4.5 hours to complete this trip and get through security, that should in theory be just enough time to do everything provided that nothing goes wrong.

Good luck

Phil-the-Bus

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM

@PhilTheBus: Your thinly-veiled advertisement has been reported.

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Sorry I can't be any more optimistic than other members. Although Gatwick and Luton are both regarded as London airports they are nowhere near each other. A quick check on googlemaps shows a car would take about 2 hours via central London from Gatwick to Luton. Using the bus you would have to change buses at Victoria or other central location, so there would be a wait between buses. The 4 1/2 hours would also include getting to your first bus from the arrivals at Luton and then getting through security etc at the other end. Plus your arrival may be late. Plan your transfer carefully and leave plenty of extra time so that your holiday isn't spoiled by worrying about missing a flight, or worse, actually missing it. Depending on times you may even want to consider an overnight in London and doing a bit of sightseeing. Hope this helps and enjoy your holiday. Bruce

• PhilTheBus's Profile Photo

by PhilTheBus Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Sorry - what advertisement ?

If you mean the reference to Thameslink, I was just repeating what was advised in one of the earlier posts and giving a link to the timetable - the train is the quickest way of making this journey. I do not work for a train company in the same way that I am sure that the people who recommended Easybus do not work for them.

Phil-the-Bus

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Glad you cleared that up...I was a bit confused. :-)

Trouble is, the OP doesn't actually have 4.5 hours: her second post said that included arriving at Luton an hour before the flight. I think 3.5 hours is simply not worth the very high risk of missing the flight (probably with no refund).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines