London Travel Answers

change location

Southampton, Amsterdam & London

by bigjayindy Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM

My wife and I are planning a trip to Southampton, Amsterdam, & London this coming June. We are flying into Heathrow, traveling down to Southampton for the Isle of Wight Festival, heading to Amsterdam to see Pearl Jam at the Ziggo Dome and then heading back for three days in London. We have our flights to and from London booked, as well as hotels. We are staying right next door to the Southampton Central Station, two miles due south of Central Amsterdam, and in Camden Town in London. I have spent several hours trying to figure out getting around, but discrpencies in train cost have completely confused me. It seems like the cheapest way to get from Heathrow to Southampton is to take the tube to the bus station and ride Greyhound. However, beyond that, I'm lost. I found cheap flights between London and Amsterdam on Easy Jet, but getting to and from airports seems exeedingly expensive. Please help!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • glen006's Profile Photo

Re: Southampton, Amsterdam & London

by glen006 Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Your best option from heathrow to Southampton would be on a national express coach.

www.nationalexpress.co.uk - I just did a test search, and found 4 services a day for £16 per person for a 2hr15 journey

Do the same coming back, then when you get back from Amsterdam, just jump on the tube to leicester square, change onto the northern line for Camden for about £5.

When we went to Amsterdam we caught a train from schipol to Amsterdam central, they were regular, and from memory, really cheap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Southampton, Amsterdam & London

by bigjayindy Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

So it looks like flying to and from Amsterdam will be in and out of Gatwick. How does this change the equation?

• Re: Southampton, Amsterdam & London

by alfred_the_great Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM

It is worth looking at FLY BE direct flight from S'ton to A'dam because it saves taking the Southern train to Gatwick which can take about 2 hours. But check the small print on FLYBE (extras etc) as all the budget airlines are prone to add things when you least expect it.
    http://www.flybe.com/
    If you return to Gatwick you can take the cheapest way up. Have not looked at prices but the First Capital Connect trains link Gatwick with St Pancras / Kings X and from there it's not far to Campden.
    http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

by clivedinburgh Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

If you are flying out of Gatwick then you could consider getting a ferry from Isle of Wight to Portsmouth, these disembark at the Portsmouth Harbour railway station where there are direct trains every few hours. I got a single on this train for £16 when buying on the day.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM

"direct trains every few hours"

Direct trains run once each hour Portsmouth Harbour - Gatwick Airport and there are other trains with a change at Havant meaning you can go Portsmouth Harbour - Gatwick every 30 minutes for most of the day on weekdays.

Check times and fares at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Train travel in the UK is often very expensive but £14,90 isn't too bad considering there is no practicable alternative other than driving.

However, that would be the way I would go from IOW.

• glen006's Profile Photo

by glen006 Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Gatwick is much easier to get to and from via train. Southern trains connect it directly with London Victoria and Portsmouth. From Victoria you can easily transfer onto the tube.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines