London Travel Answers

change location
hyeeh6's Profile Photo

Open markets

by hyeeh6 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Can anyone tell me where to find a good open market or like cool flea markets in London?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • Ash59's Profile Photo

Re: Open markets

by Ash59 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM

There are plenty to choose from. Depends what you like and where you will be in London?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ash59's Profile Photo

by Ash59 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Food
    Borough market www.boroughmarket.org.uk/
    Billingsgate (fish market) www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/business/wholesale-food-markets/billingsgate/Pages/default.aspx
    Cloths
    Camden Lock www.camdenlockmarket.com/
    Antiques
    Portobello Road www.portobelloroad.co.uk/

1 member found this helpful

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM

This is a pretty good list of markets in London

streetsensation.co.uk/market...

We usually go to Portobello Road if we are in town on a Saturday, Camden if on a Sat or Sun. Borough Market is really just food, if I'm in the area I'll pop in for some raclette.

Portobello has antiques, food, junk and is a good place to get cheap souvenirs. Camden is a lot of clothes, jewelry, cheap food, not as much for antiques. Camden Lock is one of the markets, there are several different sections to it, this website lists some of the different sections

http://www.camdenlock.net/

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Portobello Road is around the NottingHill area and it winds on down to Ladbroke Grove.  My route started in Notting Hill Gate and winds down into Ladbroke Grove where I took a bus back to my original starting point (52). Along the road they have many little shops that has a little bit of everything.  I like the walk as it started on top of the hill and winds the road down to a valley where there was more open space and of course many more shops, cafes and restaurants.  The three hour day in the morning gave me plenty of time to get a appetite to Borough Market by noon to  where all the foodie people go.  It is at a site near the London Bridge in Southwark .  I downloaded some pictures but some did not come through the I Pad so you only have three shown.  Enjoy London and the walk.

cheers tommy x

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I would put Portabello maket first on the list, then Camden. I was a little disappointed with Borough Market when i visited, lots of different food as previously mentioned. When you rech the last part of Portabello Market there is an area where they have foodstalls---try find the German burger/sausage stand---great food and cheap!

• starship's Profile Photo

by starship Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I just read a good tip on Regina1965's pages about the Leather Lane market in Holborn (London/near London). The photos make it looks like there are lots of items to purchase at good prices too. You may want to check out her Holborn page.

• Kaaskop85's Profile Photo

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Personally I liked Borough Market very much and also the pubs around the market.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Yes Portabello is a great market and I do like Borough for food. Camden is interesting as much for all the people who go as for the market itself, but I never find myself buying anything there!

There are plenty of smaller markets too. Leather Lane has already been mentioned. Church Street (near Marylebone / Edgware Road) is interesting, with a very local food and cheap clothes market at one end and antiques (mostly in shops though) at the other. Berwick Street, right in the heart of the West End, also has a small market.

2 members found this helpful

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the world famous Petticoat Lane market centred on Middlesex Street, Ei (nearst tube Aldgate / Aldgate East). I apologise if I have missed a previous mention in the answers above. It is busiest on a Sunday but functions Sunday ro Friday. It is not a patch on what it used to be but still seems to attract a lot of visitors. I have it in my tourist trap section although you may want to visit and judge for yourself. Here is a link.

"Down down market" - London Tourist Trap Tip by planxty

Another market worth a look is Broadway Market in Hackney. Here is a link.

Hope this assists.

"It has changed a lot." - Markets and Street Life Tip by planxty

2 members found this helpful

• jonsintown's Profile Photo

by jonsintown Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Hi London has a few and some are better than others. My favourite (English spelling ;) ) by far is Brick Lane Market on Club Row/ Brick Lane which is in London's East end and has no connection to the nearby and very touristy market - Petticoat Lane. Brick Lane/ Club Row is only open on Sundays and the best time to go there is as early as you want on Sunday morning. As it starts to close down by around 3pm it is not an afternoon market. Nearest station is Liverpool Street, about a 10 minute walk away.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I have just had a thought. If you like flowers and plants you could visit Columbia Road flower market, which operates on Sunday from 0800 onwards. Here is a link.

http://www.columbiaroad.info/

If you wanted a complete market day, you can visit Petticoat Lane, Brick Lane and Columbia Road markets all on a Sunday morning as they are walking distance from each other.

• hyeeh6's Profile Photo

by hyeeh6 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Thanks so much

• hyeeh6's Profile Photo

by hyeeh6 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Thanks to all who answered.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM

You can do a whole east end market day, we did that one time when in London on a Sunday. I think 1st time visitors to London are looking more for the Portobello Road or Camden Market type of market but on Sunday you can visit Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Up Market as well as Brick Lane, they are all within walking distance of one another.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines