London Travel Answers

change location
SandiM's Profile Photo

London weather right now

by SandiM Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Arriving in London on Thursday. I see that it's going to be around 4c (ish). Comparatively, is that going to be close to a Vancouver BC type of 4c (I'm familiar with that rainy city) or is it a cold-damp 4c or a dry-cold 4c or...etc? I have a light polar fleece jacket that has some sort of rainguard in it, jeans, and a long sleeve tshirt. Enough? I'm also familiar with Edmonton AB 4c which is defiinitely more of a comfortable-dry 4c where I can get away with the above clothing options. If you are also familiar with those cities (including London) please give me your th oughts on this?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Ash59's Profile Photo

Re: London weather right now

by Ash59 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Its wet-cold (I don't think that Britain is ever dry-cold), mainly possible sleet/snow showers expected. Check http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743 for London weather.

Hope you enjoy your stay

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • toonsarah's Profile Photo

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

It's a pretty uncomfortable sort of cold in London right now, with strong easterly winds making it seem colder than the temperature would suggest. Personally I would want one layer more than you're proposing, and/or something thicker than a long-sleeve t-shirt under my jacket - and make sure the latter is windproof!

3 members found this helpful

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I just came back from London yesterday. The combination of wet (snow/rain), strong winds and low temperatures made walking and sightseeing very uncomfortable. I suggest bringing at least one warmer shirt and don't forget your gloves.

3 members found this helpful

• sakinai's Profile Photo

by sakinai Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM

You definitely need more than a light polar fleece jacket, Its the coldest march I've ever known. Its a "Damp Cold", horrible. Be prepare with your layers, warmers, scarf, gloves, thick socks...its painful!

Hope you'll still enjoy your stay.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Freddiexpat's Profile Photo

by Freddiexpat Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Generally speaking the UK is wet and damp with varying degrees of this from freezing,wet and damp to warm humid and wet with a few sunny days thrown in. So be prepared for a cold damp stay as things warm up a little and the snow melts and we have cold rain and damp conditions with maybe a bit of sunshine :-).
    There is a lot to do and it can be expensive ... But enjoy it all..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines