London Travel Answers

change location
christine.j's Profile Photo

Waiting for the coach, what to do on a Saturday evening when there are children in the group?

by christine.j Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I'm taking a group to London and instead of being picked up by our coach at 8 or 9 pm on Saturday evening as before, we'll have to wait until 11:45pm. There are some problems with booking the shuttle train back to France.
What can we do? Where can we wait? There are children in the group, the youngest is a baby of nine months.
I don't think there's time enough to go and see a theatre play, besides that's not a good idea with a baby. Museums will be closed and pubs with children this late in the evening are also not possible.

So far I've thought of staying inside Charing Cross train station - the coach will pick us up near Embankment tube station - and fast food places like MacDonalds which are open 24 hours.
Does anybody have any other idea?
We're still hoping that the coach company can get us an earlier train, but that's not very likely unfortunately.

Thank you for any tip.

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: Waiting for the coach, what to do on a Saturday evening when there are children in the group?

by planxty Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I'm having difficulty with this. I know that area well and it is busy on a Saturday night. You are right, a show might be problematical with the little one. You might try the Moon in the Mall in Whitehall a few hundred yards away. It is a Wetherspoons pub and shows as being child friendly on it's website as most Wetherspoons are. Here is a link.

jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pub...

Hope this assists,

fergy.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: Waiting for the coach, what to do on a Saturday evening when there are children in the group?

by christine.j Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Thank you for this tip. I know children are allowed in Wetherspoons pubs, but I'm not sure if they are also allowed this late on a Saturday evening. Do you know?
    It's a rather large group, more than 40 people, so we'll have to split up. I'll stay with the families with small children to help them, that's why I'm looking for ideas of what to do. The children will be very tired after having walked all day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by planxty Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I'm not sure but it does say "children welcome" on the site. Hold on five minutes and I'll give them a ring.

2 members found this helpful

by planxty Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Just 'phoned them and unfortunately the licence does not allow under 18's after 2130 hours. Sorry about that.

by christine.j Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Thank you so much for your trouble! Even if this is not something for the families, I can recommend it to the others in the group.Thanks again!

by planxty Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM

My pleasure.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I don't know if you have a budget to pay for a waiting place but as you mention having dismissed the theatre idea I'm guessing you might have. So how about booking an evening trip on the river? Some of the boats are party boats which wouldn't be suitable for your group but others are simple there and back sightseeing tours. For instance City Cruises (a company I've used) have departures from Westminster Pier (perfect location for you) as late as 21.00 (see citycruises.com/userfiles/fi.... The trip down to the Tower of London and back takes 75 minutes so by the time you are back and of the boat you would have about an hour which you could spend in MacDonalds as you suggest. This is something that maybe the whole group could do without splitting up, and there are discounts for groups of 20+ (see citycruises.com/city-cruises....

3 members found this helpful

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

by gordonilla Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM

It may be good to do a few things, I like the city cruises idea but what about also visiting the London Eye?

londoneye.com/VisitorInforma...

It is close to Charing Cross and The Embankment. Of course the weather may be good enough for a walk along the south bank and so on.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

by gordonilla Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

A further thought, try the South Bank Centre:

southbankcentre.co.uk/shop-e...

A mix and you can be inside too!

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

by alyf1961 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I think the Tate modern opens until 10pm on a Saturday night. it is also not too far from Embankment tube station.

by christine.j Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Thank you all, these are great tips. I've copied them all and can now give the group some alternatives to waiting. We don't have an extra budget, it's up to each person what to afford and what to do.

• Re: Waiting for the coach, what to do on a Saturday evening when there are children in the group?

by micolett Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Good point for the Tate Modern, which is free.

by christine.j Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Thank you.

by christine.j Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

This is what we did: Thanks to you I had put together a list with several tips of where to go and what to do, but it turned out that the coach could pick us up shortly after 9 pm. As it was very cold and wet in London, everybody was happy they wouldn't have to wait until almost midnight.
    Thanks again, I'll keep the tips for next time.

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

by alyf1961 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Hope you had a good time, sorry about the weather it couldn't have helped.:)

by christine.j Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I asked and everybody said they had enjoyed their day despite the weather. And I always find something to do in London, bad weather or not.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines