London Travel Answers

change location
SandiM's Profile Photo

What time do the city lights turn on in greater London?

by SandiM Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I'm planning my timed spot on the London Eye, and want to take a decent photo of the city lights before it gets too dark. We'll be there somewhere between March 28 and April 1. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • wabIV's Profile Photo

Re: What time do the city lights turn on in greater London?

by wabIV Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM

The clocks go ahead on March 30. That will change things, obviously, from what they are now. As of yesterday, it was getting dark at about 6:10 but that will change.

2 members found this helpful

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM

So....the best time to book my timed ticket for the London Eye (given decent weather) on March 28 (for example) when the sun sets around 730pm (according to the sunset clock I found on the 'net) should be around 730pm for my 30 minute revolution on this ride? There should be city lights on at that time and won't be too dark for my camera (automatic setting)?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Can't speak for your camera settings but sunset will be around 1830 on your dates according to

timeanddate.com/worldclock/a...

and what we call 'lighting-up time' (legally enforceable headlights on vehicles) is 1837 in London for the whole of March:

astro.ukho.gov.uk/nao/miscel...

So by 1930 the city will be fully-lit and it will be as dark as it is likely to be.

The clocks formally go forward on 31st though most people put them forward when they go to bed on 30th. :-)

3 members found this helpful

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Yes, it will depend on whether you decide to go on the Eye at the start or end of your trip, because of the "complication" of the start of so-called British Summertime. Because the clocks go forwards on the night of 30th/31st March, sunset time will change suddenly by an hour. So on the 28th, 29th and 30th it will be about 18.30, but on the 31st and on 1st April it will be around 19.30. Look at this table for MArch and you will see what I mean:
    sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/un...

If you want the lights to be on, but the sky not too dark, I would aim to be starting your ride around sunset or a little after - say 18.45 if on the 28th, 29th and 30th, and 19.45 if after that date.

3 members found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines