London Travel Answers

change location

London

by CJKS Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

What is the best yuppie area in London with new bars and good restaurants?

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

Re: London

by zuriga Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I'm a bit past Yuppie-dom, but there are quite a few areas in London that are pretty hip and full of good spots to eat. The food in London, now, is fantastic.

I'd think Camden, Shoreditch, maybe Islington. There are probably others here that know the scene a bit better than I do, as I live further south. Soho also has a ton of good eating places.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: London

by CJKS Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Thanks Zuriga! Shoreditch was what I came up with personally as well. Cheers

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Is this some sort of survey? You ask the same question about paris and Barcelona?

• Re: London

by CJKS Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Hi, not at all. I am traveling to all three in June and am trying to figure out where to book my hotel. I want to be in this kind of area in each place. I figured it would be more organized separating the questions.

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Well, the area around Canary Wharf fits the bill although it isnt very touristy - more a work-place for finance, banks, IT, commercial types. Lots of swish bars and restaurants but I think you would be better-off staying centrally.
    St Katherine's Dock is nice. Marina-style shops, bars etc - and fairly central.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:01 AM

My 1st thought was Islington, we stayed there a couple of years ago and I noticed that there were a lot of young people, restaurants, bars, etc. These links have some overviews of the different areas of London

insidelondon.co/where-to-liv...

http://www.londontown.com/LondonAreas/

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I think a lot of London fits your bill, CJKS. A lot of young people work and live in London. One hotel you might consider is near or in Clerkenwell... another good area for pubs, restaurants etc. and not far from Islington. I have no idea of the prices at Hotel Zetter, but it houses one of my favorite restaurants, Bistrot Bruno Loubet. It's great for dinner but also does a good brunch, breakfast etc.

• DaveG0906's Profile Photo

by DaveG0906 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I'd go for the Shoreditch/ Hoxton area - many trendy bars and restaurants here. A lot of good venues with live music and DJ's. this would include Dalston Superstore and Bethnal Green Working Mens's Club and Cargo. There's several art galleries such as White Cube and The Barbican Arts centre is nearby. To stay in the area you have the excellent Hoxton Hotel plus the usual such as Holiday inn and travelodge. As this area is next to the City, during the week you get the city workers and Fridays and weekends tend to be more locals.

It's very easy to get into The more Central/ touristy areas of London from here.

The term "yuppie" isn't really used here nowadays but I think I know what you mean!

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Another tip - once you know your location, check with www.chowhound.com (UK section). You'll get lots of names of restaurants that are worth trying.

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Islington, Camden, Shoreditch, Hampstead, Primrose Hill, Notting Hill, Kensington - in my opinion but a bit old for this answer.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Sorry for the late reply but I have not been on for a day or two.

I would say that "yuppiedom", if I have understood the term correctly, is moving East and Hoxton, Shoreditch and the West End of Bethnal Green are favourite. Parts of Hackney and Stoke Newington are also going that way. I live out that way so if you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines