London Travel Answers

change location

Travelling in London

by extratm Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

We are meeting some friends in London. We are staying at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall. We will be there the first of April through the ninth. We are flying into Heathrow Airport. What are our options to get to the hotel and return back to the airport. Our friends are travelling from the Gatwick airport and got great information from this site. They were told that southern railways was a great option. Is it an option for us from Heathrow?

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling in London

by Dabs Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Ha ha, is everyone staying at that hotel? (I'm staying there in June) From Heathrow the easiest and cheapest way is to go by tube. Take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow, change to the District line at Hammersmith and get off at Westminster. From the Westminster station you will cross the Westminster Bridge and the Marriott is right there on the Thames River.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Cash fare from Heathrow is £5.50 per person, since you are coming in on a Sunday you can also buy a 1 day travelcard for 8.90£ if you plan on using public transport for the rest of the day.

You can also get an Oyster card which is a fare card that you can add onto pay as you go or you can load a 7 day travelcard onto it. Your friend said that they were disabled, once you figure out how you will get around London, come back and we can help you choose which transport option makes sense for you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• by extratm Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

) good deal good location. Thanks. I was wondering where is the best place to find the fare information for the tube. Suggestions?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

How odd!

Yes, as Dabs says above...you have several options from Heathrow but they are not exactly the same as from Gatwick. In essence, it's a choice of bus, train or Tube.

For trains (the more expensive Heathrow express or the less expensive Heathrow Connect) just look at www.nationalrail.co.uk There is no need to look at individual railway companies websites: Nationalrail is the official website of UK railways and carries all times, details and information for all trains everywhere. It also carries details on special offers by specific companies, but that is not relevant for you.

Both trains go to London Paddington station. From there you will need Tube or taxi to the Marriott. Tube map here:

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/...

For buses, look at

www.nationalexpress.com

That bus will arrive at Victoria bus station, so you again have a choice of taxi or Tube to get to your hotel.

There are buses from Victoria and Paddington, of course, but they aren't really a good idea with bags imo.

Oryou can simply take the Tube all the way from the airport to Westminster (just over the bridge from your hotel). It's the cheapest option. As you will be starting at the end of the line you won't have any trouble getting a seat but the trains may become crowded as you near central London.

All forms of public transport in London are safe. Just use normal city common sense to avoid pickpockets, especially in crowded situations.

4 members found this helpful

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

The main difference between travelcards and oysters is whether you want to use the 2 for 1 offers

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

Most people get a zone 1-2 travelcard if they plan on using transport a lot, if not then an Oyster Card might make more sense. Do not get a zone 1-6 travelcard for more than just the day of arrival, it is not necessary. A 7 day travelcard will save you money over using the Oyster PAYG or daily travelcards, quite a bit of savings

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Here's the link for the TFL fare structure, with info about Oystercards, zones etc etc

tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.a...

2 members found this helpful

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM

We're all getting that hotel from bidding on Priceline, I got it for $90US per night in June! Cheaper than the Ibis and Premier Inns I was looking at.

Taking the Heathrow Express or Connect to Paddington, IMO, is unnecessary money spent, they are both more expensive than the tube and still require further transport by tube or by taxi. I've taken the Connect but only when I stay within walking distance of Paddington Station.

National Express will take you into Victoria Station, once again you have to take a tube or taxi to get to the hotel.

The tube will take you within .1 miles of the hotel, the required change of tube at Hammersmith is cross platform meaning you walk about 10 feet and wait for a District line train heading to Upminister (or Barking or Tower Hill).

• by extratm Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

This is good information. Thank you.

• by extratm Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Thank you again! This is really helpful.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Definitely the Underground (subway to US friends, known colloquially in London as the Tube) is your best option - everything else is either more expensive or more complicated or both! I recommend the Piccadilly line route already suggested by Dabs, but personally I would always change at Barons Court rather than Hammersmith (just one station further) as it's much quieter, which can be helpful if you are dragging suitcases across the platform!

If you want to travel to Waterloo Station, which is just marginally nearer the hotel, you can change at Piccadilly Circus for the Bakerloo line, but that involves two short flights of steps and in my opinion would negate any small advantage gained.

• by extratm Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Thanks! A lot to consider. We were thinking of backpacking it so it is good to know how the other stations might work too.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Marriott's website says the hotel is in between the two stations, Westminster and Waterloo. Provided you don't have the same mobility issues as your friend, I think I would stick with Westminster. Westminster Bridge can be a bit crowded but I've navigated it with luggage and it's OK. You should be able to see the hotel from the bridge, here's a map

marriott.com/hotels/maps/tra...

There should be exit signs saying what attractions are which way, look for one that says Westminster Bridge or the London Eye

• by extratm Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I really appreciate all the help and information. I am excited about this trip and the information that you are sharing allows me to keep focused on having a great trip.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I'm sure you will (both sets of you!). Do feel free to ask about anything else; we'll always do our best to help! :-)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I have never heard of the site you have chosen as your username and promoted in your reply. I note it is a very new site.

Visitlondon website is the *official* tourist information website for London. Londontown has been around for quite some years and has useful information.

But the VT London Travel Guide has a far greater amount of information and tips, all written by VT locals and visitors, than you will find on any other website.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Dabs wrote:
    We're all getting that hotel from bidding on Priceline, I got it for $90US per night in June! Cheaper than the Ibis and Premier Inns I was looking at.

Taking the Heathrow Express or Connect to Paddington, IMO, is unnecessary money spent, they are both more expensive than the tube and still require further transport by tube or by taxi. I've taken the Connect but only when I stay within walking distance of Paddington Station.

National Express will take you into Victoria Station, once again you have to take a tube or taxi to get to the hotel.

The tube will take you within .1 miles of the hotel, the required change of tube at Hammersmith is cross platform meaning you walk about 10 feet and wait for a District line train heading to Upminister (or Barking or Tower Hill).   

That is a great price for the Marriott in London, I hope I can get the same next time I book.  I use priceline before but hated the waiting so I stopped using them, but the saving is a big amount and I might start looking them up on my next trip.

cheers tommy x

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I got the Marriott more than 3 months before travel but it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes I have to wait until just days before and by then I've usually already booked something else that is refundable just in case. On my last 2 nights in London I haven't been able to get that rate, I'm guessing the Monday night is pushing up the rate but I've got other lodgings already secured for less than I'm bidding just in case.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines