London Travel Answers

change location

Hotel near Baker St. or Victoria Station.

by postaria Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I'm going to London for a week.Which area do you recommend me to stay?Around Baker Street or Victoria Station?I'm arriving at Stansted Airport and will catch either the easybus to Baker St. or the Terravision bus to Victoria.Could you recommend a not very expensive hotel?Thanks.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel near Baker St. or Victoria Station.

by planxty Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Realistically, prices are going to be very much the same wherever you decide. Either area is safe enough. However, hotels in London are not cheap. f you are on a tight budget, you may wish to look at hostels (of which there are plenty) instead. If you tell us what sort of budget you are looking at, we will hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Hi! I tend to check out Booking.com or Venere.com when I'm looking for accommodation anywhere - you can often pick up a bargain, can cancel upto 48 hours prior to arrival if you find a better bargain, can chose by map, price range, reviews etc.If You are certain of dates etc paying up front/ non refundable often offers even better prices.
    As a solo female traveller I tend to look for accomm within 5 minutes of walking from an Underground station.
    Room only is often a better option ( unless reviews praise the breakfasts) there will no doubt be many places near accomm to grab a breakfast and places to eat later in the day - cafes/ restaurants or supermarkets to DIY.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Don't stay near there but this site will help pinpoint one in the area
    http://www.victoriastationhotels.co.uk/

as well as checking VT destination London, above right;
    hope it helps

1 member found this helpful

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

by rexvaughan Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

We have stayed twice at the Blandford Hotel which is a 5 minute walk from the Baker Street tube stop. It is a small, family run hotel which has been renovated in recent years, has a nice breakfast, clean rooms and runs about 120 GBP. Their website is: capricornhotels.co.uk/hotel_...

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Baker Street in my opinion - you can relax in Regents Park which is close and one of Londons nicest parks. However either area is fine.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Check the Premier Inn chain, there is one near Victoria. You might also have a look at Ibis or for a very basic room there is also Travelodge. Booking.com is a good way to help narrow down your search but always check the hotel's website, I found that there are frequently lower prices if you are willing to do an advance purchase non refundable rate.

Either area is fine

• antistar's Profile Photo

by antistar Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Baker Street is great. I stayed at the Park Plaza there, which is a good place for the money.

"Marylebone: Baker Street" - Park Plaza Sherlock Holmes London Tip by antistar

• SallyM's Profile Photo

by SallyM Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

There's a Travelodge next to Marylebone Station, just a few minutes walk from Marylebone. I've stayed there a couple of times when I needed to stay over in London for work. As usual with Travelodge, it's no frills, but it's in a handy location, and good value for London. Don't go for the breakfast option though - there are plenty of better alternatives nearby.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Sally makes a good point. Unless breakfast is included in your deal, don't go for it. Hotel breakfasts are well-overprivced and normally pretty average as they tend to be of the buffet variety and the food may have been sitting there for literally hours. You can easily find better places near whyerever you are staying and get a freshly cooked breakfast much cheaper.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM

another to say yeh no hotel breakfast. EVen if the beforementined park plaza also on my link is good, better eat it out. You will remember me by trying Canteen
    http://www.canteen.co.uk/#">http://www.canteen.co.uk/#

cheers

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Weatherspoons offer a good breakfast, as do many independent cafes.

• kathymay1's Profile Photo

by kathymay1 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM

If you are really watching your budget you might try Cherry Court Hotel on Hugh st. Very near Victoria and very small rooms but clean. As a single woman I would stay there. Last I checked it was around £65 per night, seems pretty good for London.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines