London Travel Answers

change location
Jozigirl's Profile Photo

Train travel London to Edinburgh

by Jozigirl Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I am considering taking a train trip to Edinburgh rather than flying. Can anyone recommend the best train sites? Is the scenery worth it from the train?

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • toonsarah's Profile Photo

Re: Train travel London to Edinburgh

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM

The scenery on the northern half of that route (after Newcastle upon Tyne) is spectacular, as the train runs right by the sea, and it's pretty good for some stretches to the south. Have a look at the Trainline for ticket prices - http://www.thetrainline.com/. Also, check the website of the operator, East Coast Rail, as they may be cheaper bought directly from there - http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • solopes's Profile Photo

by solopes Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:06 AM

My story:
    We were 5, needing to travel from Edinburgh to London, with a stop in Newcastle. The plan was to travel by car to Newcastle, and by train to London. The best price we found by train was 60 pounds each one, so we decided to fly with Easyjet, paying... 60 pounds for the five tickets. How to trains keep on working in UK?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM

solopes wrote:

How to trains keep on working in UK?

Do you mean 'How do trains keep on working in the UK?' If so, it's all about booking early, you can get some really good deals by booking in advance. If I get a ticket Bristol - London on the day it can cost £150 return, but if I book well ahead it costs me £30 return.

• MariaJ38's Profile Photo

by MariaJ38 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Yeah The plan was to biking by car to Newcastle, and by alternation to London. The best amount we begin by alternation was 60 pounds anniversary one, so we absitively to fly with Easy-jet, paying.

• Jozigirl's Profile Photo

by Jozigirl Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I know that the flights are cheaper and quicker but I want the relative comfort and relaxation of a train for this leg of my journey. I will be taking many flights.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I would say the scenery is worth the trip. I'd also recommend stopping in York for at least a day but a couple hours anyway as you travel north.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Trains keep on working because people have to use them, even if they are more expensive than some mainland irailways.

The official railway website for the UK is www.nationalrail.co.uk It lists times, details and fares for all UK trains (except steam trains!) and also shows special offers if you scroll down.

As noted above, booking in advance will often, though not always, bring considerable savings over walk-up fares. UK trains cannot get so full that no tickets are available. If no seats are free then you simply stand.

London>Edinburgh takes about 5 hours by train. Flying, once you have added in time travelling to/from the airport, check-in (at least 30 mins before departure) and baggage reclaim won't be much quicker...trains go city centre to city centre. And yes, the scenery is definitely worth seeing as you go further north. And even if the landscape is not spectacular, rail travel is interesting anyway because it shows you a side of a country which you do not often see.

2 members found this helpful

• SallyM's Profile Photo

by SallyM Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Yes, the scenery for the last part of the trip is well worth seeing.
    I'm doing this journey again in three weeks time, and it actually worked out cheaper by train than air when getting to the airport was taken into account. We got a cheap advance booking deal on the train, and although there was a flight that was cheaper, it would have meant getting to Luton by 6.00 am on a Sunday, which would have been an expensive taxi ride or equally expensive car park.

2 members found this helpful

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Hi yes, look at suggested sites as well as www.raileasy.com, though you can sometimes get a better offer purchasing tickets from the station 24-48 hours before your journey.

Pick your time of travel so that you see the Newcastle - Edinburgh stretch in daylight.

Also, purchase food and drinks for your journey from a supermarket etc as the food and drinks sold on the train are expensive, with the risk of limited choice ( or sometimes the buffet fails to materialise) and is often not so tasty either.

• GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

As others have said, the East Coast mainline from the restored Kings Cross Station, has splendid scenery and is reasonably fast and comfortable. The rolling stock is mostly older and more spacious.
    For information I'll mention the two alternatives: The clapped out old Caledonian Sleeper, from London Euston to Edinburgh Waverley and back has "bargain births" if you want to save time one way: scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansle...
    And the west coast mainline from Euston, which requires a change of trains at Carlisle for services to Waverley, and uses the new smelly cramped trains. http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/
    Personally I'd go for the East Coast daytime scenery :-)
    Remember that booking well in advance usually saves a lot of money and check out the first class ticket prices too, as sometimes they are near enough the same price when the cattle class bargains have gone!

• GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM

oops ... If you're not planning on giving birth on the train, there are also some "bargain berths" ... hides under table in shame :-(

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Love it...but the rest of us would never have known if you'd used the 'edit' function and changed the original. Thanks for the giggle! :-)

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM

www.thetrainline.com allows you to book 13 weeks in advance and sometimes has real good bargains. I took this train 2 yrs ago and as Toonsara says the views after Newcastle are interesting, but the rest of the journey is flat and boring. Most trains take around 4 1/2 hours.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

by aaaarrgh Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

As well as following the good advice above about booking early, it is possible sometimes to save more by buying two or three tickets for each stage of the route (rather than a single ticket for the entire journey). This may work well if you're planning to leave London before 9.30am on a weekday, because tickets travelling before that time are often much more expensive.

seat61.com/UK-train-travel.h...">seat61.com/UK-train-travel.h... is a useful resource for interpreting rail travel.

I needed to travel from Cardiff to Leeds and back last Spring and managed to reduce my ticket cost from £110 to £50 by buying it in *six* sections (which also allowed me to legitimately break my journey and do some sightseeing en-route),

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Regarding splitting tickets to get a cheaper one if you have an iphone (may be on android too, I'm not sure) there's a free app called 'tickety split' which shows you the cheapest way to split your journey. It only shows the cheapest option for buying tickets on the day but it'll give you an idea at least. As aaaarrgh says above you can save money this way too.

• Jozigirl's Profile Photo

by Jozigirl Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM

LOL!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines