London Travel Answers

change location
jobrien9's Profile Photo

Stansted Airport to Train Station

by jobrien9 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM

My plane is arriving at Stansted at 17:55. Would I be able to catch an 18:21 train from Stansted Train Station to Leicester, or would it be too close?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • yvr's Profile Photo

Re: Stansted Airport to Train Station

by yvr Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM

No way to little time to get off the aircraft and make your way to the train station, your plane may not be on time, so don't risk it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • PeteG's Profile Photo

by PeteG Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Sorry, but you probably won't be off the plane by that time. Best look at a later train if possible,

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Yes, look for a later train. I would allow c 20 minutes from landing to disembarking, at least 30 minutes for passport control as an absolute minimum (as you are not a European Union citizen I assume?), some time too to collect your bags if you have checked any as hold baggage and about 10 minutes to walk through the airport to the station. This means that if your plane lands on time you will need something rather over an hour between landing and train time, so the earliest train I can see you comfortably making is the 19.21.

Do you need to book a specific one? If your flight is delayed you would miss even that one.

1 member found this helpful

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Even an hour is not enough time. There are always little delays along the way. Allow 1.5 hours at a minimum.

1 member found this helpful

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

by taurean_traveller Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM

One can never guarantee any specific time through Stansted.I recently collected my daughter there and even with checked luggage she was rapidly through from landing to meeting me in 40 minutes.The time before that she had NO checked luggage but because of a long queue at Immigration she was an hour. Personally leave minimum of 1 hour 30 as mentioned.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

As above...absolutely no way.

If you have bags you'll be lucky to be landside before 1900, to be honest. Stansted is a very busy airport, landing time is the time you touch the ground not gate time, some gates require a very long walk plus a monorail journey to border control....and queues for border control can be very long indeed (I know, I've been in those queues several times!).

You should be ok with the 1930 departure to Leicester, all being well.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Just to add to what you have already been told, not a chance, don't even think about it. Passport control at Stansted can be excruciatingly slow (I have suffered it several times myself) and you haven't got a hope of making that connection.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

No way, the last time i arrives at Stansted i had to get on a bus from plane to terminal, wait ages for my luggage so the absolute minimum would be an hour in my opinion but even that would be optimistic.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines