London Travel Answers

change location
Dabs's Profile Photo

Ibis Euston St. Pancras

by Dabs Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM

We're coming back late from Paris by Eurostar, the train arrives into St. Pancras at 22:39, I imagine by the time we get out of the station it'll be after 23:00. I was originally thinking of staying in Earl's Court as I found a good deal at a Premier Inn (it would be closer for the return trip to Heathrow a couple of days later) but last night I found this hotel for the same price. A couple of questions:

It looks like the hotel is very close to Euston and not terribly far from St. Pancras, would it make more sense just to walk from St. Pancras to the hotel? Their website says it's .5 km to King's Cross/St. Pancras, my only hesitation is that it will be later at night and we are two females traveling. Our luggage will be one wheeled bag each so I'm not worried about the luggage and it looks like there is a major road leading between the two (Euston Road).

This Ibis is one of the rare ones that doesn't provide free wifi, is there a place nearby that we can check our email? From TA posts, it sounds like the internet charge from the hotel is high and really I just need a couple of minutes to check in every day. Thanks :-)

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • PeteG's Profile Photo

Re: Ibis Euston St. Pancras

by PeteG Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM

There is a major road but I doubt you'll need to cross it. Even if you do there are pedestrian crossings. It is not so major a road you can't cross it very safely. Don't worry about this part.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I THINK there is a McDonals near Euston Station. I THINK they do free wi-fi. 13-21 Euston Road, Camden London, NW1 2RY It's very close to St Pancras Station according to Google Maps - and open until 1am.

I havent been for years but I'm sure I used it once.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM

On our last trip we took the bus from Euston to St. Pancras (it's just two stops; the British Library in between). 476 is the one that will do:

http://countdown.tfl.gov.uk/#">http://countdown.tfl.gov.uk/#|searchTerm=476

Just enter Euston station and leave at the side exit to cut to corner to IBIS.

I have a tip on IBIS at "Next to the Euson station" - Ibis London Euston St Pancras Tip by pieter_jan_v We stayed at Thistle at the time; 200 meters further up the road.

PJ

1 member found this helpful

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM

4 more busses you can take: 59, 73 188 or 390.

PJ

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I looked a little deeper into the bus stop at St. Pancras. On your arrival you still have to cross Euston Road. See: accessible.countdown.tfl.gov... It is always better than taking the tube (no stairs and also shorter walks at street level).

PJ

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Yes it's only a five minute walk from International arrivals at St Pancras along the main road. The area has been tidied up a lot in recent years and so should be no problems. As to wifi there's several Wetherspoons pubs in that area which have free, inlimited, access - jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pub...">jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pub...

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo

by zadunajska8 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I used to go to University at UCL which is just round the corner from here. I'm not sure about the wifi access issue but in terms of getting from the station at St Pancras to the hotel it is just a 5 to 10 minute walk and you shouldn't need to cross the main road, but it isn't the best of areas! You would be on teh main road which is usually safest and during daytime I wouldn't think there would be anything to worry about but at night, as females and with luggage there is a small risk of some unwanted attention possibly. This isn't likely to actually be danger, just drunken idiots who may make you feel uncomfortable. Certainly this was common a few years ago after dark when I was in the area, but no real physical danger. You will also be heading away from the worst of the area as it gets worse to the East of Kings Cross and better towards the West. However, if I was you I would just get the tube 1 stop on the Victoria line from Kings Cross St Pancras to Euston and then you will be only a few steps from the hotel. Whilst there are drunken idiots on London Underground you are less likely to experience any unpleasantness on the tube than on the street (in my experience at least).

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

The hotels I always stay at in London are in that area. It's a quick and easy walk from Euston to St P, and perfectly safe imo. The road is busy but there are umpteen traffic lights with appropriate pedestrian crossings.

I wouldn't worry about walking there alone after dark (and don't) and you certainly won't be the only people hauling bags with you. It's a busy area for arriving visitors from the UK as well as abroad, as well as being a very busy area for commuters.

I really don't think you need to worry about walking.

And as for the Ibis internet charges: I've just stayed in my first Ibis and the charges are ridiculous (imo). Use McDs or similar...there are plenty of places in London which offer free wifi.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

by toonsarah Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM

No need to bother with the bus if you can manage your luggage, and at that time of night the buses won't be very frequent. There should still be plenty of people around so I wouldn't have any worries about walking along Euston Road though of course as always in a city at night you should keep your wits about you. Make sure you exit St Pancras at the front as the side exit is by Kings Cross and would be further to walk!

The British Library has free wifi and you don't even need to go inside if it's a nice day - you can sit in the courtyard at the front. If you want a coffee while you surf there are cafes inside and out.

If you don't want to go that far there are several cafes near and in Euston Station that should have it. The nearest to you would be the Caffe Nero which is on the corner of the station as you approach from the Ibis side. They have wifi and also very good coffee!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Second vote for Caffe Nero. Their coffee and Costa Coffee is much nicer than either Starbucks or McD, imo. :-)

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I think the Ibis is my best option. I wasn't too keen on going all the way to Earl's Court at that time of night either. And thanks for all the free wifi spots, seems like I won't have any trouble finding free spots. Every hotel I've looked at so far for this trip charges for internet, Ibis is normally free, this is the 1st I've come across that charges.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I wonder if that's a London thing? The hotels I've been using in the UK recently, bar the Ibis last week, have all had free wifi. Maybe they're finding it's too expensive to keep it free?

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I hve walk the area and is safe,never heard or seen anything bad there.St Pancras area that is. It depends on your luggage but mine is always light. and you have wifi at St Pancras International including the Eurostar departure lounge and the Business Premier lounge. I have not stayed in any of these but they have wifi access too ,hotels allinlondon.co.uk/tube-kings...

hope it helps

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I have free wifi when I stayed at the Ibis budget in Whitechapel in July 2012 but not at the Premier Inn Kensington Olympia July 2011 on my last couple of visits. The K West spa hotel in Shepard's Bush had terminals in the lobby you could use so it may be hit and miss. I've stayed at a lot of Ibis hotels and one of the benefits has always been free wifi. Usually it's the higher end hotels that charge you ironically. But it's nice to know there's free wifi in so many places, someone on TA said that it was also free at St. Pancras (possibly also Euston?) I just like not having to lug my iphone with me but then again it could come in handy if I can just pop into a Mickey D's or Caffe Nero and use it.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

And now Gwened confirms wifi at St. Pancras :-)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM

i thrust my life on wifi, just back from strike torn Iberia in Madrid and wifi is heavens;cheers

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines