London Travel Answers

change location
lgk1984's Profile Photo

Fruit picking/harvesting jobs

by lgk1984 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM

We are a couple who are coming out to Australia in May. We want to do 3 months fruit/crop picking or similar when we arrive. Does anyone have any recommendations on areas that we will best to head to at that time of year or any recommendations of places? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: Fruit picking/harvesting jobs

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Welcome to VT. I suggest you put your question in the AUSTRALIA forum as more who can help will see it there. I could also suggest you look at our group page on Australia in The_Downunder_Mob "Official VirtualTourist Australian Local Chapter" - The_Downunder_Mob's Profile

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Have a look here for the picking seasons

fruitpicking.org/fruit-picki...

The website also gives other info that may be useful to you  

STEVE

• Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

by Richard.GVA Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Hello Igor and friend, your post is not very clear: I presume that you are coming from Australia to Europe. Please specify.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Here is the website with Harvest calender. Make sure that you have a working permit. jobs4travellers.com.au/pages...

• tumbytraveller's Profile Photo

by tumbytraveller Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Just be mindfull that if you are on a tourist visa I dont think you are allowed paid employment

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM

As someone stated that you may not be hired if you do not have the proper paperwork (i don't know how strict the employment laws are these days) i just want to mention that both occasions that i visited Australia i found that sometimes casual jobs are advertised on noticeboards at hostels. Sometimes work was even offered in the hostels in return for free room and board plus a smell salary.

• stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Bar/restaurant work is another standby.

You MUST ensure that you have the correct visa though. As mentioned before, a tourist visa will NOT allow you to work. From what you have said the visa you want is a working holiday visa. You need to apply for and get this granted before you arrive in Australia.

You really need to go to the Australian embassy website for the country that you come from and check there.

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:32 AM

There are huge fines for anyone employing someone who does not have a work visa so you won,t find work without the work visa. fruit picking work should be pretty easy to find as a lot of people don,t fancy the hard work, but overseas visitors who have done it have had fun. i is a way of meeting others and seeing quite a lot of an area.

• lgk1984's Profile Photo

by lgk1984 Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far. Maybe we should've been clearer.

A). We have been approved for our WHV (Working Holiday Visa) B). We will be arriving in May 2013 (initially for 1 year)

All we wanted to know was good areas to carry out fruit/crop/harvest work for the time of year we arrive.

Thanks again.

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I think Queensland might be a good spot to start, they grow so much fruit and I would imagine there is something being picked for much of the year. There are also often jobs advertisied on Hostel noticeboards and fellow hostellers will pass info on, they might recommend a place where they enjoyed working.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines