Lofoten Travel Answers

change location

Lofoten in March

by livingskiesphoto Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 6:34 AM

I am doing a photo trip for Northern Lights Mar 5-10 /13 and am trying to figure out a packing list. Temps on line show around freezing, but not sure what wind, rain/snow and dark of night might be like. I'm from Canada so have lots of heavy winter gear, but my question is how much will I need. Heavy winter boots, or hiking boots and warm socks? Wind/rain overpants and long underwear, or insulated snowmobile type pants? Tips from anyone who has been there in March would be helpful, or especially anyone who has done a Northern lights photo trip?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • jonkb's Profile Photo

Re: Lofoten in March

by jonkb Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

You probably allready know this allready: but since there might be others reading this forum, I'll post it anyhow: The best time to see the Aurora Borealis (Northern lights) are after newyars to early spring, when it is as dark as possible (ie - moonless nights). There is a new moon on the 11th, so your best chances are late in your period.

The best place to see the lights in Norway are between the Lofoten islands and Tromsø. That is why there is a base for studying the lights at Andøya. You should also be as far away from stray light as possible - ie not in a city like Tromsø or Harstad.

As for the original question: The weather, which is famously unstable, Temperatures between minus 10 and 5 deg C. You will probably encounter some wind, and probably some rain or snow. Difficult to say if you should bring warm boots or hiking boots and warm socks since it is weather dependent. However: Your boots should be waterresistant. Definetly bring your raingear. You'll probably need it. Also bring warm underwear.

Haven't done a trip to see the northern lights, but lived far north in Norway.

Also bring a sturdy tripod, but you probably allready know that.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines