Llangollen Travel Answers

change location

International Eisteddfod

by Brizoid Online Now Nov 3, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I have learned that the 2011 Eisteddfod program and bookings may become available in December 2010. We'd like to hear of recent visitor experiences to the Eisteddfod - ticketed and free events; self-catering accommodation options; getting to and from events ie using public transport or by car including parking. And the overall quality of the event. Also ideas for visits nearby in advance of the mid-July date that I understand will apply. My wife and I are sixty plus and accordingly game for anything. We spent six weeks in May 2009 on a self catering tour of the UK so are familiar enough with the UK and travel there, but the Eisteddfod will be a first time experience.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: International Eisteddfod

by leics Online Now Nov 3, 2010 at 11:58 PM

You will find info and links to videos of the 2010 Llangollen International Eisteddfod (not the same as the National Welsh Eisteddfod) here:

http://www.llangollen2010.co.uk/

which will give you some idea of what to expect.

If you are lucky enough to get tickets I do suggest that you immediately investigate and book accommodation: it is a very popular event indeed. Staying in Llangollen itself would be ideal, imo, and there are plenty of self-catering properties around. Google 'self-catering Llangollen' to begin. Traffic can be heavy getting into and out of the town during the festival, so staying nearby might be preferable.

The Eisteddfod field is just outside the town, although I am not aware of any special public transport (a local bus may pass by, not sure):

llangollen2010.co.uk/en/abou...

and you might be best to purchase a daily or weekly pass for the official car parks. 2010 info here:

llangollen2010.co.uk/en/usef...

From Llangollen you have too many potential daytrips to list here at this time: the whole N Wales coast, with its wonderful Norman castles (Conwy, Caernarfon and Beaumaris are the best), the whole of Snowdonia, with its superb scenery and walking (and a goodly amount of history as well), interesting villages such as Betws-y-coed and Beddgelert, beautiful lake Bala, Clough Williams-Ells' 'Portmeirion' 9where the TV series 'The Prisoner' was filmed.....and historical Chester is easily accessible....

Far more, but that will give you an idea. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: International Eisteddfod

by Brizoid Online Now Mar 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM

G'day there Leics - not sure if you are still watching, but things are moving along well. We have accommodation - got that done late last year - and finally got onto the ticket office in mid-February, which must be Welsh for "early in 2011" :-) Now all we are waiting for is for our tickets to turn up - probably should have had them sent to our in-laws in Wales rather than risk the journey to Australia. They ought to be here at the latest by next week - or it's back on the phone for me! We went for the whole week ticket - kind of pricey at GBP200 each, but it is a while since I did a music festival , so maybe I am out of touch. Nevertheless, looking forward to this tremendously. Will report on the overall experience.

• leics's Profile Photo

Re: International Eisteddfod

by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Glad you've got the tickets sorted (yes, February would count as 'early in 2011 in the UK, not just in Wales!).

200GBP for the platinum season ticket may seem a lot but the Llangollen festival is not really like other Folk Festivals. There are a large number of performances to choose from (6 concerts every day at 6pm plus the major evening concerts, dance classes, music classes, other performances throughout the day etc etc) as well as other events.

I'm sure you'll have an excellent visit. Do let us know how you get on....and maybe upload some photos (even videos) onto your VT Llangollen pages! :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Llangollen