Ljungby Travel Answers

change location

More than one Ljungby?

by rpork Online Now Jun 4, 2006 at 5:08 PM

I am confused. My ancestor came from Ljungby, which I thought was in Kronoberg lan but now am wondering if there is a Ljungby in Kalmar lan also. Their births were registered at St. Wi parish in Kalmar lan, 1833, but once found a list of the parishes in Kalmar and could not find St. Wi listed.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • RE: More than one Ljungby?

by erabler Online Now Jun 4, 2006 at 11:35 PM

Oh, yes. There are plenty of Ljungby. This map site finds 33 of them.
    http://www.gulasidorna.se/kartor/
    Ljungby in Kronoberg is a city. The rest are just small villages or farms.

The only Wi (or Vi) I can find in the south of Sweden is Södra Vi, just north of the town of Vimmerby, which is in Kalmar län. All other Vi are up north.
    BTW, Vi means a place where pagan gods were worshipped.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: More than one Ljungby?

by rpork Online Now Jun 5, 2006 at 6:26 AM

Thanks for your help. How about Sodra? Does it mean Saint? If so, St. Wi could be St. Vi.

Could you tell me where Ljungby in Kalmar Lan is? I found Ljungbyholm but not Ljungby.

by erabler Online Now Jun 5, 2006 at 6:32 AM

"Södra" is "South".
    I would read "St." as "Stora", i.e., "Big", rather than "Saint" (Sankt in Swedish).

There are too many Ljungby. I can't tell which one is relevant to you.

by rpork Online Now Jun 6, 2006 at 5:38 AM

I looked at the flyttningsbetyg again and it looks more like S. Wi. So I am thinking it is Sodra Vi. My great great grandparents were born there in Kalmar lan so I think I should be looking at the Lungby in Kalmar lan.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: More than one Ljungby?

by Sjalen Online Now Jun 7, 2006 at 1:45 PM

If it IS Södra Vi, we are probably related since on one of my grandmothers' sides, everyone comes from different farms outside or even IN Södra Vi (not that they farm in the village itself these days). You can have a look at the church on my Södra Vi page. If it is this, my grandmother might well know of a farm called Ljungby as all her cousins and their children up there are farmers. There is a Ljungby outside Mariannelund not far away but that wouldn't belong to Södra Vi parish. Equally not the Ljungby outside Hjorted nearby...hm...

If not, well...the Ljungby could mean Ljungby PARISH rather than town. There is a parish with that name in Kalmar county (and another in Halland), consisting of the villages Ljungbyholm, Trekanten and Vassmolösa.

I will try to ask my granny when I next speak to her as she used to work with the parish registry in county Kalmar when I was little and knows where to look. Meanwhile, I suggest you look at my Växjö page where I have a tip about the Emigrant House, a museum and record house in neighbouring county Kronoberg where Americans go to look for their roots. They have great research facilities if you go there, but they will also be able to kick-start you on some track I think. :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines