Ljubljana Travel Answers

change location

Asian to Slovenia. Any problem?

by jayinka Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I'm Asian. Always interested to visit the beautiful Slovenia. Should I be afraid going to Slovenia since I'm Asian?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • akkipaa's Profile Photo

Re: Asian to Slovenia. Any problem?

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 1:41 AM

It took a while to decide what to answer to you, simple no answer was too simple :) I have lived in Slovenia, visited there multiple times (I am not Asian but I used to almost blond, some what different from locals) and faced NO threats. Be welcome to one of Europe's most beautiful country.

I took travel summary from official sources: fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I'm not Asian myself but I'm not sure why you think there might be any more problems visiting Slovenia than visiting any other European country? When I've visited e.g. Ljubljana, Bled, Maribor etc I've seen people of different ethnic origins just as I have when visiting other European countries.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. Slovenia is a beautiful, friendly country and definitely worth visiting.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I would be very suprised if you have any problems there. Slovenians are probaply the most intellectual people in europe if you take an average of each person. Most people there master 4 languages and most of them have a global mindset. I have a friend who is a black guy and he lives in Slovenia with his slovenian girlfriend and i have asked him if ┬┤he ever had any problems cause he is black and he told me he had none whatsover. He actually had more problems when he lived in London. The small slovenian town Piran even has a black mayor which kinda says something about the countrys attitude to Foreigners.

Sure you can come across some racist jerk but that can happen anywhere but it's less likely in Slovenia than most other countries in Europe.

I understand your concern cause there are stories coming out from time to time from some other countries in the region but slovenia is a positive suprise in that regard.

• stamporama's Profile Photo

by stamporama Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 5:57 AM

My wife and I are from the Philippines and we visited Bled and Ljubljana last December. We had a great time, absolutely no problems with anyone anywhere.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Asian to Slovenia. Any problem?

by zigastrmsek Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM

i am from slovenia and most of us like foreigners. there are some racists like in any other countries, but not nearly as little as slovenia. i once travelled withca chineese couple (showed them around ljubljana a bit since i live there) and noone was racist to them. hell, some of us are kinder to foreigners than slovenians. ifnyou wanna ask something about slovenia, email me to zigastrmsek2@gmail.com and if you need a tour like that couple, just tell me

by sja777 Online Now Sep 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I'm Asian and from Indian Continent. I've just come back from a trip to Slovenia. I must say that I'll never go back there due to the racism that I experienced. Most of the shops including a department store in Ljublijana, made me feel as if I was a thief. Some judge you by your colour. I also noticed that they are not racist towards people from far east. Bo matter how nice a country is, the people make a difference to your experience.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I am sorry you apparently had some unpleasant experiences but I do think it is important to realise that one's experiences do not equate to 'the people' of a country having any particular attitude or opinion.

To extend your own unfortunate experiences with a few people on one trip to Slovenia to a sweeping assumption that all Slovenians feel and/or behave in that way is no different to judging people by their skin colour.

by sja777 Online Now Sep 22, 2013 at 3:44 AM

to leics,

This was my second trip to Slovenia and have been all around the country.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 22, 2013 at 4:02 AM

That may be the case (although I'm surprised you returned if you have had such unfortunate experiences). Others, as posted above, have not had the same experiences.

But you have not met every single Slovenian nor have you visited every single Slovenian settlement, so you simply cannot make sweeping statements in that manner. By doing so you are doing exactly the same as those about whom you are complaining.

• picek's Profile Photo

by picek Online Now Oct 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I am sorry to hear this and it's unacceptable that you were treated this way by some people.

To calm you down (if that's possible at all) - I have several South Asian friends living here for several years already... mostly they were treated good, or very good, but occasionally they were stared at or dealt with racism as well. They go out normally on everyday businesses or to socialize, many of them live in small villages you'd never thought you'll find someone forieign. I say occasionally, because most people won't bother about where you come from and your skin, but you've got bad behavior everyhwere on earth. You've got few people who think us (and i am local) were bunch of thieves on drugs when we dressed in dark clothes or had crazy haircuts as youth, but then we simply thought it's not worth bothering with them because obviously they have never been anywhere beyond their small little yard, so who cares what they think. And no, this doesn't happen only here, it happend as well in some bigger cities as Vienna or Copenhagen ... so, would that mean they're all like that? Of course not.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ljubljana