Livingstone Travel Answers

change location
brimmlady's Profile Photo

Help!!

by brimmlady Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I am traveling from Johannesburg to Livingstone in January to see the falls--we need accommodation for 3 nights then we need to get to Kilimanjaro Airport in Tanzania. I cannot find a way to do this painlessly--does anyone have suggestions? I prefer plane or train (not bus).

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: Help!!

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Hi
    Unfortunately there is no painless way to do this by air and there is no reliable train service. As you quite rightly indicate, the bus isn't worth considering unless you're a hardy backpacker type with a lot of time.
    Counterintuitive though it might seem, the most practical and cost effective way is probably to fly back to Johannesburg and then connect to Kilimanjaro that way.
    The Johannesburg-Kili route is fairly expensive though, due to lack of competition. I presume that you're going on safari: if so, is there any chance that your tour operator could arrange a pick up for you from Nairobi, which is a route that has far more competition - and thus more flights and lower fares? (Nairobi is pronanly easier than Dar for Kili, even though it's the other side of the border, although both are worth considering).
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Quite right, my railway friend. I should have qualified that by saying "no direct train" ... thanks for the correction!

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Hi
    Should have mentioned that Air Tanzania offers the direct Jo'burg - Kili flight (a codeshare with South African Airways).
    Regards
    Cathy

• Moirads's Profile Photo

by Moirads Online Now Nov 8, 2011 at 1:39 AM

I used the Joburg/Bulawayo bus once and can assure you that you don't want to do that.

I don't have any answers but am keen to learn what conclusions you come to.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Livingstone