Livigno Travel Answers

change location

Travelling to Livigno in early April

by finniboy_uk Online Now Feb 3, 2004 at 1:44 PM

Hey everyone, I've been asked to join a group travelling to Livigno for some skiing from the 10th April-17th April. I was wondering how good the conditions would be at that time, and If anyone had any advice for what a young group of party animals should get up to while they are there????? Any advice??? Cheers XXXX

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Travelling to Livigno in early April

by pivogirl Online Now Feb 23, 2006 at 6:34 AM

Hi there. I'm going to Livigno too April 1st to 8th. Have been there 3 times already. I was there just after christmas (yes I'm going a 2nd time) and asked some instructors and locals. They said that because the village is 1800m it will is usually still very cold on the slopes. It depends on the weather re: snow in the past it has been quite good and the fact that the ski lifts stay open till May1 is a good sign. The highest slopes are just under 3000m so you're guaranteed snow up there (some good blues and reds up there). Expect the village to be quite slushy.
    Where to Stay: If you're booking accom be careful...whats advertised as 'near' the padestrian zone can actually be a 10/15 min walk to it...there is a bus(free with your lift pass) that goes to nearly all areas..but try pay the extra little bit to be very near the padestrian zone. Try get self catering the restaurants have great staff,are quite cheap and the Italian food is too good to restrict yourself to the same place every night...cheap certainly by London/Dublin standards. Pizza €5 pasta €6 steak €12, 1 litre of house wine is generally €4-6
    Anyway Accomodation:
    1) Mottolino Area is the opposite side of the valley and is barren re: pubs/restaurants. Steer well clear of staying that side.
    2) San Rocco Area (is up at the top of the town past the padestrian area up near Carasello 3000 lift) good restaurants up there Mario's, Bellavista. Bars: Marco's, Homeliwood (very lively and you can smoke theree!!). The only nite club KOKADI's is up this area too. A taxi from to anywhere in the town is €6 (or €2 per person if there's more than 3- this is great for getting home from the club...lots of taxis)
    3) Middle Town is ok: Lift 20: Galli's Bar is a favourite of lots but not me. Its over priced, the food is ordinary compared to other places and the ski hire (which is part of it) gives you crap value for money.i.e. €120 for ski's and boots with them...up the road in Marco's €70) Marco's Bar (just across from Gallis) is good for a fry up...or any kind of Italian FOod. THe bar downstairs can be good depending on the night.
    4) Lower Town near Hotel Helvetia/Bivio's is my personal favourite: Its near Lifts 23 to 25 the best Apres Ski is down here. Restaurants: Bivio's (is a hotel and bar) has great food in the hotel part is Very Good...but a little on the expensive side in Livigno terms. Bar is excellent!! Best Restaurant in Livigno is Bait Dal Ghet 369 Via Plan (home of the cats). Great pizza, steak and salads (say hello to Dino for me). We (group of 6) went there 4 nights out of 7 last time. Pubs: Bivio's, Hotel Helvetia Pub (can't remember the name).
    You can also go to Hotel Helvetia for Steam, Swim, Turkish Bath and Sauna for €15 so bring your togs !! Wine is so cheap in the offlicense (€3 a good bottle, cheese is great, ground coffee is excellent too so reap the benefits and bring a BIG BAG to bring stuff home in. I did.
    Hope this helps. Just enjoy
    Pivogirl

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines